It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 08:00 AM   #1
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Alcohol Is As Much A Problem As Weight

I'm thin at 5' 11" 150. I had a good time over the Thanksgiving Weekend with my g/f & my band. Usually my B/P is around 116/71 at 8:30 A.M. on average. After 5 days of having 3-5 drinks a day is was 128/75 on the 1st reading. By the 3rd reading it was 121/72, but still higher than my normal average. I am going back to only drinking 2 beers on the weekend & that is it. It is terrible at 34 to have to always watch this, but for me that is what causes more anxiety, which in turn causes my B/P to rise. On the weekends it can be as low as 106/56 on Lotrel & Atenolol (can't wait to get off of this med.).

Weight loss can be controlled imo. Unless you have hyothyroid or a disease that prevents you from losing weight, I don't think that it is that diffucult. It's funny how they never list alcohol as one of the main culprits for HBP, but it is. My advice on keeping a healthy weight. My G/F is 23, but she is 5' 9" 115, so I will keep it simple.

1) Eat less calories

2) Excercise

3) Don't drink more than a glass of wine or so a night (I don't drink at all 99% of the time during the week)

4) Don't eat sweets & drink lots of water.... no soda with sugar.

I have lived by this my entire life. When I was married at 26, my weight went up to 170. I ignored these principals.

Well it's the 1st day back at work & I feel kind of lousy from the last 5 days. Had a great time, but my B/P suffered as a result.

In addition, I won't take my B/P again for another week or two. I am done with that obsession.

The meds that I take like Atenolol make me lose my appetite anyway. I also feel like junk on B/P meds. Guess that everyone is different, but I believe that alcohol plays a signifigant role in B/P.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User
Re: Alcohol Is As Much A Problem As Weight

What is wrong with 128/75?? That is a normal reading especially after your 5 days of drinking.. I drink red wine and not every day but never anymore than 2 or 3 drinks at one siting. I have read that over time too much alcohol can raise blood pressure especially binge drinking...I have mild hypertension and take Diovan and my average readings are 115/75...

Old 11-29-2004, 09:50 AM   #3
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: Alcohol Is As Much A Problem As Weight

It just annoys me that my Systolic was elevated a little. Last wee at the same time it was 120/72 on the 1st reading. Red wine is good for you. A glass a night won't destroy you. My G/F stayed in a nice hotel & had a bottle of chardonay at dinner & a bottle of a sparkling wine after that. The next day, I had 2 beers at lunch & 3 beers later on that evening. My #'s are lower when I keep to 2 drinks a week (Max). I used to binge drink all of the time up until a couple of years ago & I'm only 34. My liver is fine (16 AST 20 ALT). I just have just seen what quitting drinking can do to B/P. I also felt likt junk the day after the hotel.... 2 beers & sharing 2 bottles of wine is a lot.....I've been good for a long time & have seen readings like 106/56 on the meds. I forgot how it felt in the morning after drinking too much.... not fun & not good for your B/P. 3 glasses a night is too much. I don't want to preach. I wish that I could do it....

Closed Thread