It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 05:57 PM   #1

cindysped HB User
Hydocholrot and Menstrual cycle

I started taking this drug back in the summer for fluid retention. I also take Norvasc. I have missed my period for last month. Could this be the cause? I was always regular. Also my legs ache a lot since I have started taking Hydro..Any advice?

Old 12-01-2004, 03:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Hydocholrot and Menstrual cycle

Cindysped,

Looking up your previous posts, I found that you were on Norvasc first and then started taking HCTZ for edema.

Since Norvasc is NOTORIOUS for causing fluid retention and swelling it seems to me that your doctor prescibed one drug to counteract the side-effects of the other. Not the best kind of treatment approach in my humble opinion!

Norvasc side effects do include muscle aches and pains.

And if you are taking potassium -sparing HCTZ, (a combo of hydrochlorthiazide with spironolactone or triamterine), these drugs have been reported to cause loss of libido and menstrual irregularities as well as abnormal growth of hair in women.

Talk to your doctor about all this. Especially ask about whether you are having to take the diuretic to offset the edema side effects of Norvasc!

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

You also might want to talk to your doctor about trying a different calcium channel blocker. The different drugs have slightly different actions and you may find one which does not cause edema. I am taking one called Tiazac which is a form of Cardezem and do not have problems with swelling.

From this website [url]http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/27000290/[/url]

Different types of calcium-channel blockers

Different types of calcium-channel blocker differ in their main sites of action in the body. So, different types are used for different conditions.

Verapamil
This is commonly used to treat angina and high blood pressure. It is also used to treat certain arrhythmias (when the heart rate is abnormally fast). This is because it also blocks calcium going into the special conducting cells in the heart and so it can slow the heart rate. You should not take verapamil in addition to a beta-blocker medicine.

Diltiazem
This is used to treat angina and high blood pressure. Unlike verapamil it is not used to treat arrhythmias. It can be used in addition to beta-blockers if this combination is necessary.

As a rule, you should not take verapamil or diltiazem if you have heart failure. This is because they 'relax' the heart, and can make heart failure worse.

Dihydropyridine calcium-channel blockers
These include amlodipine, felodipine, isradipine, lacidipine, lercanidipine, nicardipine, nifedipine, nimodipine, and nisoldipine. These have more effect of relaxing blood vessels, and less effect of relaxing the heart muscle than verapamil or diltiazam. Most are used to treat high blood pressure and angina. But, isradipine, lacidipine, and lercanidipine are only used to treat high blood pressure. Nifedipine is also used to treat Raynaud's phenomenon.

As they do not affect heart muscle much, they are not useful for arrhythmias, and are unlikely to make heart failure worse. You can take one of these in addition to a beta-blocker. In fact, a dihydropyridine calcium-channel blocker in addition to a beta-blocker medicine is commonly used to prevent angina pains if either does not work well enough alone.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:08 AM   #4

dianne12315 HB User

I was on Norvasc for about 2 years along with Hyzaar 100/25. Hyzaar is a combination drug. It is a combination of Cozaar and HCTZ. I kind of liked it and had no problems with it. Norvasc on the other hand was causing fluid to build up in my lower legs and also caused them to ache. Neither one of these drugs did anything for my BP however. I was put on Clonidine and Lasix in addition to the Hyzaar and Norvasc.

Lasix did nothing for the fluid as long as I was on the Norvasc so the dr increased the Lasix and I ended up in the hospital. Finally the Norvasc was discontinued and the fluid problem is now under control. My legs still ache when going up the stairs but nothing like they did while I was on the Norvasc.

I would ask the doctor if there is another drug you could go on in place of the Norvasc. Some people can take it with no side effects and some can't. I never had any menstrual problems while I was on it though.

If you are anything like I was while I was on the Norvasc there's no diuretic that will get rid of the fluid. Discontinuing the Norvasc will and the HCTZ will then do it's job.
Again please talk to your doctor first before you decide to stop it.

Dianne

Last edited by dianne12315; 12-01-2004 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread