It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #1
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Question about med side effects re swelling

I have been experiencing swelling in my face and hands, and sometimes in my ankles. The swelling in my face and hands are becoming a problem. I have heart disease, and this may be the cause, but I also take an ace inhibitor(altace 5mg) and a beta blocker (atenolol 50 mg), among other meds, but I know that many of you take one of these 2 medicines. I take lasix occasionally, but can barely tolerate it due to kidney pain.

My BP has been a bit low for the last couple of months, so I could probably stop the altace, w/o any problem. It was prescribed after a heart attack, and not for BP.

My question is, have any of you experienced this swelling, and narrowed it down to one of these drugs? (I am on a low sodium diet) Thanks much for any info, in advance.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #2

dianne12315 HB User
Re: Question about med side effects re swelling

Hi Jack,

I just read your post about the swelling and not being able to take the Lasix due to kidney pain. My mother also had that problem and could not take Lasix at all. Her doctor prescribed Demadex and she found that she could take this diuretic with no problem. It's short acting and if you take it by 10am it usually wears off in about 4 hours. I took it a few times during the summer when I was starting to fill up with fluid. I told my doctor about it but he wanted to try Lasix first.

Could you try a low dose of Lasix everyday rather than a high dose only when you need it? I sometimes will double the dose of my Lasix if I haven't taken it for a few days then I will have the kidney pain. I was on the Altenolol a few years ago but I couldn't tolerate it. It caused my feet to swell and I had headaches. Plus it did nothing for my BP.

Have you asked your doctor about a different diuretic? How much Lasix do you normally take? I wish I could be of more help to you.

I'm also having swelling of my face in addition to the overall swelling I've been having but this morning when I woke up my left eyelid was very swollen as was the rest of my face. This is new for me and I'm also on a low salt diet and after my little experiment last week I also have a headache.

I hope you feel better soon.

Dianne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Hi Dianne,

Sorry to hear about your problem with swelling. Lasix has no effect on the swelling that I have been having. When I take it the swelling doesn't go away. That's why I thought it may be due to altace. I have read that it can cause angioedemia, which is accompanied with whelts, that I don't have.

Lasix also lowers my BP, when I take it. Hope you are feeling better and thanks for your reply

Old 12-01-2004, 03:52 PM   #4

dianne12315 HB User

Hi Jack,

I think you might be right about your swelling being from the Altace. If it is then Lasix will not help. Norvasc did it to me and Lasix did nothing for the swelling. It was only after the Norvasc was discontinued that I was able to finally see my ankles again.

Remember that different people react differently to certain medications. Just because you don't have the welts doesn't mean it's not the medication. If one person out of 1000 gets swelling plus the welts then they have to list it as a side effect even though the other 999 didn't have welts.

I was the same way with Nexium. I broke out into a rash and that is not listed as side effect. I didn't have any other side effects with it but the rash and itchiness was enough to drive me crazy. Inderal and Vasotec made me short of breath.

I hope you feel better.

Dianne

Old 12-01-2004, 05:07 PM   #5
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Hi Jack and Dianne, i was on lisinopril for 7 yrs off and on. On more than off. It more recently caused my face to swell and itch. Even my lips and eyes were affected. Lisinopril is an ace inh. i was also on toprol xl for awhile and it caused my ankles and legs to swell. I was put on toprol xl bcuz i had a heart attack as well. Well my stupid gp kept me on it and i suffered horrible side effects.

B4 i discovered this board i just abruptly stopped the toprol xl and boy what a mistake.
My bp spiked to 225/110 instantly. I ended up in the ER.

I am very sensitive to meds and so far i haven't been able to find a bp med that lowers my bp w/o horrible side effects.
Jack, i think you're right, its the altace.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:11 PM   #6
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

I would be interested to know whether Altace is causing your problem. I take 5mg as well. When you have this swelling, does it last a long time? How soon does it go away? I woke up one morning and my lips were swollen. I never did figure out why but possibly the Altace. 5mg is still a pretty low dose of this medicine. I have absolutely no side effects from it. I do keep a couple of Benadryl with me in case of an allergic reaction.

Somehow I really doubt the Altace is causing your problem, but then Im not a doctor either. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by FrontierDriver2; 12-01-2004 at 07:14 PM.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:17 PM   #7
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

If you do a search, you will see that ace inhibitors can cause face swelling. However, i can only go on my own experience with lisnopril.

Old 12-02-2004, 02:15 PM   #8
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Jtu91952
I guess we got to step back and figure out that we are taking some fairly potent meds. for serious problems. I think that it is the altace also, but these dang studies keep coming out, and they effect my future planning, lol. I thought I would maybe stop the altace but I read an article today about really lowering your bp helps and yesterday I read a "study" about ace inhibitors helping survival. I don't know which way to turn, lol.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:23 PM   #9
(female)

Karana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack51
I have been experiencing swelling in my face and hands, and sometimes in my ankles. The swelling in my face and hands are becoming a problem. I have heart disease, and this may be the cause, but I also take an ace inhibitor(altace 5mg) and a beta blocker (atenolol 50 mg), among other meds, but I know that many of you take one of these 2 medicines. I take lasix occasionally, but can barely tolerate it due to kidney pain.

My BP has been a bit low for the last couple of months, so I could probably stop the altace, w/o any problem. It was prescribed after a heart attack, and not for BP.

My question is, have any of you experienced this swelling, and narrowed it down to one of these drugs? (I am on a low sodium diet) Thanks much for any info, in advance.
Hello: I had swelling and weight gain from acebutolol, (Beta blocker)

Old 12-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #10
(female)

Karana HB User

Hello: I had swelling and weight gain from acebutolol (SP?), a beta blocker. I could hardly stay awake.I am now on Norvasc instead but it is not very effective. My BP is still very high. I also take potassium, follow a healthy diet, can't exercise because of an injury but keep my weight down by sensible eating.

Hope this helps you narrow down your offending drug.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:36 PM   #11
(female)

Karana HB User

Hello Frontierdriver2:

If you are taking another class of drug it may be having interaction causing the swelling. When I was on Voltaren prior to surgery I developed allergies...(swollen lips, eyelids) to all sorts of things that had never bothered me before.My lungs also filled up with fluid. I stopped the Voltaren and all the side effects went away.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:28 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Jack,

When I get angioedema my universal first and main symptom is always a vague swelling of the lips that I can feel more easily than see. Very rarely will welts or hives accompany it.
If I am "normally" edematous from salt OD, I can feel the efffects in my fingers and lower back (vague pain from a bulgy disc that gets TOO bulgy), but I can readily SEE the edema in my sock line that refuses to dissipate for an hour or more after I've taken off the socks.
The 2 conditions seem VERY different for me.

I would assume that, of the 3 drugs, the most likely offender for you is the ACE inhibitor because of it's ability to vasodilate. Vasodilation, of course, will increase the likelihood of "leakage" from the vessels with resulting edema.

Why not skip the Altace for a couple weeeks to test out the hypothesis? The effect should be easy to see.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-09-2004 at 05:31 AM.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:59 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I would assume that, of the 3 drugs, the most likely offender for you is the ACE inhibitor because of it's ability to vasodilate. Vasodilation, of course, will increase the likelihood of "leakage" from the vessels with resulting edema.
While I agree that the ACE may be responsible for his edema, I disagree with your logic. Vasodilation does not cause leakage. The class that has the most problem with edema is the CCBs (especially the dihydropyridines). But, this is not because of vasodilation. In fact, ACEs and ARBs are often used with CCBs to reduce the edema caused by CCBs. In general, ACEs and ARBs have a tendency to be anti-inflammatory. Some folks do get edema/angioedema from an ACE. This is believed to be a reaction to excess bradykinin since ACE inhibition also ihibits breakdown of bradykinin. In this case, a switch to an ARB would solve this problem.

Pal

Old 12-09-2004, 11:10 AM   #14
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Thanks so much to all of you for your helpful advice and experiences. I also take Imdur, a timed released nitroglycerine, and a potent vasodilator. It has almost stopped my angina.

Lenin,

I am like Axe, when it comes to changing/experimenting with me medicine. I have a 45-50% blockage in a very important coronary artery (left main), and a couple of others that don't worry me. I am looking at a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG), a stent, a massive heart attack, or good health. The next year in my life is very critical (Gee ain't they all, lol). I can really relate with the indentations left by socks. They are deep and last a long time. My lips also feel swelled more than they look. My eyes swell (lids and below), and that is very noticeable. I do cheat on the sodium every now and then. I may get the courage to stop the altace for a while.

Pal,

You have much knowledge of these meds, and I appreciate your help. Now I have to go and check on this subject of "vasodilation" in association with edema. Be well.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:30 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Norvasc causeed my ankles to swell...I guess most of the calcium channel blockers do that fairly often.

Pal,
I disagree with your assessment of my post...vasodilation as a result of ACE inhibition causes blood vessel leakage and edema. Whether or not bradykinin plays an intermediate role is really of ZERO consequence to the edema sufferer. ACE inhibitors cause edema. Edema is caused by leakage of blood vessels.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-10-2004 at 03:32 PM.

Closed Thread