It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 10:54 AM   #1

snowbird171 HB User
Are we too young?

I'm 28 and my husband is 30 and we are both having problems with high blood pressure. Two years ago mine was 167/135 and I thought my doctor was going to die right then and there. Well I went on a diet and excercised and it came down but it can still be as high as 145/100 at times and others 130/90. Well my husbands has always been perfect until the other day his was 157/110. Now other than putting us both on a diet and excercising is there anything else we can do to keep this under control and keep from going on meds? I just don't understand it seems like we are too young to be having these problems.

Old 12-01-2004, 12:41 PM   #2

susieq52 HB User
Re: Are we too young?

I don't know if this will work but maybe it's your attitude. Are you worried about anything? Is there something that's bothering you? If there is try some therapy. Talking about your problems helps me calm down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 12:58 PM   #3
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Stress & Anxiety can play a big role in B/P. At 34, I completely understand.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:30 PM   #4

Bjork HB User

I don't think you're too young! My younger sister has high blood pressure too! She had it checked at the doctor and it was *really* high. They took it several times. The doctor thought that maybe it was her nerves, so she let it go. Then my sister went to a store and in the pharmacy section they have a blood pressure machine. She checked hers twice and while it was slightly lower, it was still pretty high. She's only 23 years old!

Bjork

Old 12-01-2004, 03:41 PM   #5

dianne12315 HB User

You are not too young to have high blood pressure. I was 28 when I was diagnosed with it. My advice is to learn all you can about it.

Some people (like me) are unlucky enough to have a strong family history of it. My father had 10 siblings and they all had/have it. There are only two left and they both have it. Both my grandmothers had it too. I had an older brother who passed away from Colon Cancer 10 yrs ago and he also had high BP.

I have 2 older siblings who also have high BP. We were all diagnosed with it in our 20's. I'm 48 now and have been on many different medications over the past 20 yrs. I used to think it was high because I had a very aggravating job so I was shocked to learn that I was the only young person in the place that had high BP when I was 28. It's not uncommon for a young person to have it especially if you have a family history of it.

It will be interesting to see if either have your parents have or had it.

Dianne

Last edited by dianne12315; 12-01-2004 at 03:42 PM. Reason: error

Old 12-01-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

No you are not too you to have hbp. I was diagnosised w/ hbp when i was 25 yrs old. I am now 52 yrs old. Of course it was slightly high back then and diet and stress controlled it. Todate, i've tried several classes of bp med and they all worked but had horrible side effects.

I do know that if i go on my daily walk my bp is lowered 20 to 30 points. The cardio can't understand it. She seems to think i inherited hbp, but no one else in my family have hbp.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

I am 20 and I have it. My cardiologist says that it is unusual. He think there might be an underlying cause for mine and I am undergoing more tests to find out. He noticed stretch marks all over my abdomen and said they could be related to another disease that would raise my BP.

Last edited by FrontierDriver2; 12-01-2004 at 05:24 PM.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:51 AM   #8

snowbird171 HB User

Thanks for your response everyone! We both have a family history of high BP but I really didn't think either one of us would have to worry about it this soon. My husband goes to the doctor today which I'm sure they will try to treat his with diet and excercise first. My husband has been trying for a new job so that may explain the stress and why his might have jumped. The bad thing being he can't go to work at this new place until he gets the high BP diagnosed and treated.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird171
My husband goes to the doctor today which I'm sure they will try to treat his with diet and excercise first.
I wouldn't bet on it. Where was that 157/110 reading from? Is that just an isolated reading? In a young person the 157 is easily just from anxiety. So, I wouldn't be too concerned about that. However, anxiety doesn't normally elevate diastolic by more than 10-20 points.
Quote:
My husband has been trying for a new job so that may explain the stress and why his might have jumped. The bad thing being he can't go to work at this new place until he gets the high BP diagnosed and treated.
If he needs to get it down fast, he's going to need meds. If your doctor is going to prescribe meds, you might want to suggest an ARB (Diovan or Benicar are excellent choices). The normal protocol is to try everything else and complain about all the side-effects until you eventually get to an ARB. Also, avoid combo drugs for starters. If your doctor actually gets something like a 157/110 in his office, he may be inclined to give a two drug combo.

FWIW, I am taking Benicar 20 mg once a day. Aside from lowering my BP, the side-effects have actually been positive. I sleep better, excercise better and am losing weight. In the past, I had always resisted taking drugs - especially since my unmedicated BP (135/85) isn't all that bad.

Pal

Old 12-02-2004, 10:56 AM   #10

snowbird171 HB User

Update: When he went to the doctor the nurse tested it and got 120/80 and when the doctor tested it he got 120/90 so now he is on some kind of medicine. Isn't that a little drastic to put him on meds with it being so close to normal? I mean I have been wrestling with mine for nearly two years and they haven't put me on meds yet.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:56 AM   #11

lisaa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird171
I'm 28 and my husband is 30 and we are both having problems with high blood pressure. Two years ago mine was 167/135 and I thought my doctor was going to die right then and there. Well I went on a diet and excercised and it came down but it can still be as high as 145/100 at times and others 130/90. Well my husbands has always been perfect until the other day his was 157/110. Now other than putting us both on a diet and excercising is there anything else we can do to keep this under control and keep from going on meds? I just don't understand it seems like we are too young to be having these problems.
I would think so. All this talk about your not too young to me seems unrealistic. A few questions 1. Do you or your husband have a family history of HBP? 2. How over weight are you both( HBP has been linked to obesity) 3. Are there alot of stress related things going on at home? If you can answer No to these questions then I would persue it further. Usually if there's no family history and also your just a few pounds over weight there is a underlying cause and it needs to be ruled out. There are so many things that can cause high blood pressure. Like renal stenosis,thyroid problems, etc. If you type in "high blood pressure , causes" into your search window you will find so much info on the subject. I do hope you find the cause. It very well could be due stress. Just keep an eye on it. You know your body, and you know when somethings not right. Listen to your gut. As for your husband unfortunately most men wont go to the dr . I am saying not all men but a good majority of them. Best of luck

Old 12-02-2004, 03:58 PM   #12
(male)

stackzone HB User

120/90- I would not let them medicate me with those numbers. Anyway I was 25 when diagnosed and I was a mountain bike cop and played hockey 3 times a week and worked out like a freak. Never been the same since --maybe the meds. Guess there is no too young....

Closed Thread