It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 11:09 PM   #1
(male)

MrJeff HB User
Really low Blood pressure?!

Hi. I was at work last night and I was feeling reall disy and finding it hard to get air. I could breath normaly but it felt like i still wasn't geting enough oxygen. The next day i was in the safeway store and i saw a blood pressure machine so i tried it. It said the bellow normal diastolic and systolic pressure was 130 and 84 or something. I tried it out and it said mine was 133 diastolic which was fine but it was 67 systolic! That freaked me out because I was way bellow, the "bellow normal" stats. Is something wrong with me? Im only 18 and I thought heart problems were not likely to happen to me at my age. When I tell my parents Im scared something is wrong with my heart they laugh and say that your to young to have a heart attack or heart problems.

Should i be conserned about this? I have a lot of black outs or head rushes when i get up from a chair. A few times in school i almost fanted just siting in my tall science chair. I first felt sick then everything was going black and fuzy. I lost conrol of my body and My hearing went and was poping.

If anyone could help that would make me feel alot better to know if im ok or if not what to do. Thanks

Jeff Martin

Old 12-02-2004, 01:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Really low Blood pressure?!

Jeff,

I really think something was WAY off with that monitor.... or you are getting systolic and diastolic confused..

Below 120/80 is considered "optimal". The top number (120) is the systolic. The bottom number (80) is the diastolic.

Some people have very low BP and are perfectly healthy....Readings as low as 90's/60's are not unheard of and nothing to be alarmed about unless they cause symptoms.

I think you accidentally reversed your numbers...You say your systolic was 67 and diastolic was 133 (67/133)..That's not humanly possible!
You'd have to be a COW under Stage 3 anesthesia for a number like that and even then I don't think the cow would make it!

It was the other way round..133/67, which is nothing to worry about. The 133 systolic was a tad elevated but occasional systolic BP spikes are normal and to be expected, especially if you are feeling dizzy, and probably a bit PANICKY. The 67 diastolic is textbook gorgeous.

ALSO, taking your pressure in a public, active, busy, noisy place is never a good idea! And supermarket and drug store monitors can be very unreliable if their batteries are running low.

Regarding your feelings of faintness, blackouts, and air-hunger, you are very young so it's unlikely to be anything really serious. When you stand up suddenly and get a "head rush" or things momentarily "recede", that could mean your blood pressure dropped suddenly but that's not necessarily dangerous or serious. (It's called orthostatic hypotension and is very very common and, I might add, benign!).

Your symptoms could be caused by ocassional low BP, a blood sugar problem, an inner ear disorder, fatigue, lousy diet, anxiety/stress, dehydration etc.. Rarely, they could be attributed to a heart issue, but given your age, the latter is very unlikely indeed.

Still, I think it would be a good idea to get a check up to make absolutely sure you're A-OK,which is most likely the case. Do it if for no other reason than to allay your anxiety.

zuzu xxx

Last edited by zuzu8; 12-02-2004 at 01:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #3
(male)

MrJeff HB User
Re: Really low Blood pressure?!

Thank you sooo much for clearing this up for me. Yes I did mean it the other way around. I think I have an anxiety or am scared that my heart is going to stop or something like that and when i get scared it gets worse. I got scared from this ever since grade 12 bio. We talked about all the bad things that could happen to your heart and brain. Blood clots can kill you really easily she said. I guess it just freaked me out.

One think I forgot. When Im warm or nervous or even just standing normaly. I feel like air or air pressure in my lungs is leaving my lungs and I need to take another breath quickly. Its a weird feeling and hard to discribe. like a tickling feeling in the chest like an air leak or someting.

Anyways thanks again. I feel alot better to know that im fine. Thanks!
Jeff Martin

Last edited by MrJeff; 12-02-2004 at 02:31 PM.

Closed Thread