It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
(male)

BPJD36 HB User
Has Anyone ever had a condition like this before ? If so please help

Ive Been sick , I'd Say since July, So Finally went to the doctors the end of august...i have high blood pressure , and i have FLUID RETENSION, and i have a hard time breathing, it just depends on the position i am in.
My Blood Pressure usually in the morning is low and at night high or it can be opposite, it can be 148/82 in the morning or 181/92 at night....I just dont understand why i am not getting better, i dont know if its because i just sit down all day and get no exercise (because i use to be on the go all the time, but not since August) Its hard living like this, ive been to 3 hospitals and the doctors i guess know what it is im on pills and everything but my Blood Pressure just wont stay down I dont know if theres anything i can do to Keep it down that will work? This Fluid Retension is from my damaged kidney( the doctors say) but my blood pressure has alot to do with it, once it gets close to normal i should start feeling better, I just dont know what to do anymore,
This Fluid is really ruining my life i cannot get rid of that and the high blood pressure if i could of id be the happiest person alive..i really appreciate it if anyone has been through this if they can help me or Anyone ..if you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know

Thank You

Old 12-05-2004, 07:29 PM   #2
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
Re: Has Anyone ever had a condition like this before ? If so please help

Diuretics are usually prescribed for water retention. It is a water pill. I was on the diuretic, hctz for many yrs. Now im on lasix. I am diabetic so i gave up the hctz bcuz it caused my glucose to rise and my cholesterol. Sometimes lisinopril is used to help with the kidneys.Bcuz im diabetic with hbp, my drs prescribed lisinopril & hctz. I was allergic so now i just take verapamil.

Im sorry that you are having so much trouble and i hope you mention this to your drs. Im sure they have tried everything they can. Unfortunately, im in the same boat sort of. After coming off the lisinopril and hctz my bp is uncontrolled and that is not good being diabetic. Im working with a cardio to bring my pressure down.

Im sure somebody will come on this board with more knowledge than me. there are very knowledgeable ppl that can give you better advice. I can only tell you about things i've tried. Lisinopril was the best for me bcuz it kept my bp at 113 - 130/72. Now like you im 170ish /70-80ish.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 04:39 AM   #3
(male)

BPJD36 HB User

i am diabetic to...

Old 12-06-2004, 05:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

BPJD,

Are you suffering from HEART FAILURE or CARDIOMYOPATHY? If so, then you must follow the directions of your cardiologist carefully.
If not, then you need a pretty stringent dosing with some diuretic. Often for edema this bad, the way to treat is with HIGH dose diuretic (maybe a couple hundred mg HCTZ a couple times a week (say Monday, Tuesday to get "brisk diuresis") rather than a lower dose on a daily basis. Maybe even a stronger diuretic like chlorthalidone (Hygroton)

Are you taking any calcium channel blockers for your BP? Since edema is a common side effect (weird eh?) that class of drop should probably be out of bounds for you.

But, again, if the edema is caused by progressive heart failure, let your cardiologist make all the calls and have him monitor the situation carefully!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-06-2004 at 05:13 AM.

Old 12-06-2004, 05:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPJD36
This Fluid Retension is from my damaged kidney( the doctors say) but my blood pressure has alot to do with it, once it gets close to normal i should start feeling better, I just dont know what to do anymore,
It sounds like you have secondary hypertension. Your high-blood pressure isn't causing anything. It's most likely your damaged kidney that is causing the fluid retention AND your high blood pressure. Are you sure both of your kidneys aren't damaged? Also, what is the nature of your damaged kidney(s)? I assume you are under the care of a nephrologist. Sometimes your kidneys can be giving off excessive amounts of renin when they fail. Therefore, an ACEI or ARB is an important part of your treatment.

Pal

Old 12-06-2004, 10:23 AM   #6
(male)

BPJD36 HB User

"Therefore, an ACEI or ARB is an important part of your treatment."

what is that?

I've had almot every test possible done, and no it is only 1 kidney that was damaged,usually my blood pressure is 140-150 in the morning over 75-85
right in there somewhere, but at night it goes up to say between 165-180
85-95

But th main thing im worried about is my breathing ...i can stand up and walk and breath ok...but when i laydown or try to sleep i sorta weez and have a hard time breathing..

Old 12-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #7
(male)

BPJD36 HB User

im hoping the blood pressure comes down soon, and i can breath normal again and live a healthy life....cause this is really hard to live with,
i have diabetes but mine is controlable .....its not bad at all

and no i dont have heart failure i was checked for all that already , this all has to do with my kidney(mainly) and my blood pressure and partially my diabetes

Last edited by BPJD36; 12-06-2004 at 10:26 AM.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:41 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
"Therefore, an ACEI or ARB is an important part of your treatment."

what is that?
These are medications that are used to treat hypertension. While these won't directly get rid of fluid, they will block the body's response to renin from the kidneys. If the damaged one is producing too much of this, it can actually cause a feedback to your working one that will cause it to retain fluids.
Quote:
But th main thing im worried about is my breathing ...i can stand up and walk and breath ok...but when i laydown or try to sleep i sorta weez and have a hard time breathing..
I believe these are related to your fluid retention problem. Excess fluid is the most likely cause of your breathing problems and your high blood pressure. And, excess fluid is removed from your body via your kidneys. So, if they aren't working right, you'll have all the problems you described.

Pal

Old 12-06-2004, 10:59 AM   #9
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

You have symptoms of pulmonary edema (fluid on the lungs), which can be caused by heart disease (heart failure) or bad kidneys, or some of both. People with fluid on their lungs lave to sleep "propped up" on a pillow, same as people with cardiomyopathy.

Your heart pumps ~ 1/3 of it's output through your kidneys, where excess fluid is removed, and sent to your bladder. If the output of your heart is reduced, or you have some degree of kidney failure, your blood will have excess fluid (water) in it. Your lungs receive a constant flow of blood from your heart. The excess fluid in your blood can leech out into your lungs, and build up (like it can in your legs, abdomen, and ankles, etc). If you start to experience shortness of breath, when you are walking or working, you should go to the doctor and have your chest x-rayed. If not, you can suffer from lack of oxygen in your bloodstream. If you have fluid on your lungs, and don't get it removed with the help of medicine(s), they will have to draw it from the lungs with a needle (ouch). I sure hope that you get better soon.

Jack

Old 12-06-2004, 02:45 PM   #10
(male)

BPJD36 HB User

my lungs have alreay been drained...but now the fluid retension is unbalanced basically cause my legs are sometimes swollen and my feet and ankles...and its from the fluid retension, its sorta like PROTEINURA if you ever heard of that i had to much protein...and my kidney was damaged, and i have high blood pressure and diabetes( not bad thoguh ,controlable)
All i want to know how long doe this usually take to go away and is there something i can do to get rid of this faster cause i hate the way i feel
im having trouble breathing because the fluid in my stomach now, not in my lungs...its like im pregant,..

Old 12-06-2004, 04:50 PM   #11
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

What type of medication are you taking for your BP and fluid retention?

Old 12-06-2004, 05:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
i have high blood pressure , and i have FLUID RETENSION, and i have a hard time breathing, it just depends on the position i am in.
I have similar problems. I have to lie on my left side. On my back, I have problems breathing, and on my right side I have problems breathing AND my heart misfires.

Quote:
My Blood Pressure usually in the morning is low and at night high or it can be opposite, it can be 148/82 in the morning or 181/92 at night....
You might be interested in researching "nocturnal hypertension".

My blood pressure is also higher at night. I have to avoid eating carbs after about 6pm, or my heart will misfire, and I will have problems breathing and my blood pressure will get worse. I have read that people who have problems with carbs, or diabetic renal failure problems, have higher blood pressure at night than during the day, which is the opposite of most people.

I am on a diuretic (Lasix), an Ace inhibitor and a calcium channel blocker. I take the lasix and ace inhibitor in the afternoon, in order to help bring down the evening high blood pressure problem. I take my evening dose of the CCB an hour earlier to help to lower my evening BP.

I have been fighting nocturnal hypertension for about seven years, and have been able to improve my condition, but it has taken a lot of work, a lot of experimenting with various medicines, and eliminating things that touch my skin, or that I consume, or that I breath, that make my condition worse.

Does your heart misfire at times? In other words does it race, or miss beats, or beat very hard and uncomfortably?

Last edited by Machaon; 12-06-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #13
(male)

BPJD36 HB User

no not really it doesnt

Old 12-07-2004, 01:35 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

BPJD,

When fluid builds up in the abdomen, it's called ascites (pronounced A-SIGH-TEEZ). It really sounds as if your good kidney is not compensating properly.
When is the last time you spoke to your doctor? Do you actually have a nephrologist [kidney doc]?

You are so uncomfortable, it would be wise to call as soon as possible ... you probably need to have your medications re-evaluated pronto.

zuzu xx

Old 12-07-2004, 05:12 AM   #15
(male)

BPJD36 HB User

Doctors told me i have to get exercise and basically have therapy to get my body back....and eventhough i have this fluid it will eventually balance itself out or go away..BELIEVE ME I WAS CHECKED FOR EVERYTHING lol...it deals with protenuria, my damaged kidney and my high blood pressure..now does anybody know how i should rebuild myself..take it slow first and then eventually get faster? i was told im not suppose to laydown ..i need to get exercise, plenty of it to get rid of what i have + i feel better when i exercise but when i laydown i feel worse....

also i forgot to mention...imhaving blurred vision nw pretty bad to...
is that from the pills or my condition or my diabetes(which is not a bad case of diabtes controlable)?

Last edited by BPJD36; 12-07-2004 at 05:36 AM.

Closed Thread