It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Cold all the time and not beta blocker?

Hi all,
Now that winter is here, I seem to be feeling cold a lot more often - most of the time in fact. I have always been more sensitive to cold than most people, but it seems worse this year. I'm getting up to "elderly" status now at 48, so maybe it is just age. I've lost 12 pounds recently, but I still have 23 pounds of extra "insulation", so I don't think that's it.

Could this be a side effect of my medications? I am on tiazac (calcium channel blocker) and clonidine. They have slowed my heartrate - I think pre medication I was in the 80s and now I am often in the low to mid 60s.

I know beta blockers are notorious for giving people cold extremities, but other meds? Anyone else feeling the cold more from their bp meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: Cold all the time and not beta blocker?

When I was on Toprol, it was tough to go into a restaurant without warm clothing. On Atenolol, I still get cold from time to time, but feeling exhausted & lethargic have taken over as the main side-effect. You are not alone. On Toprol, I was definitely colder. I live in an area where it is 80 degrees in the winter, so I know it was the meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
Inactive

vintagelady HB User

This is typical of many of these meds, including ace inhibitors. I use to say, "I must be atypical. At my age, I don't get hot flashes; I get cold flashes." Just another lovely side effect . . . One word: (no, not plastics) LAYERS. oops, sorry. You're probably too young to remember "The Graduate."

Old 12-09-2004, 07:09 AM   #4
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Yeah, it was great being in the studio with jeans, an undershirt & a sweatshirt, while the other guys were wearing shorts....

Old 12-09-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Oh no, at 48 I remember "The Graduate". Great movie at the time. I saw it again a couple years ago and was sort of shocked at how dated it was. It really was a product of its time.

Yea, I dress in lots of layers, got a heat blanket for my bed, down comforters and booties for sitting around at home, lots of sweaters, small heater for under my desk at work.....

Closed Thread