It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

Joannofark HB User
Talking Plant Based Beta Blocker(s)?

I am a 50 year old female with mild high blood pressure. I eat a very healthy diet (primarily vegan) and exercise 3-4 times a week (cardio & weights). I was told about a plant based diuretic (in the form of seeds) that I thought would be THE answer I was looking for. I researched the substance for contraindications and there weren't any for the dosage levels I was taking. In the short term it worked very well but now I have had to add back the beta blocker Atenolol to better control my diastolic rate. (Gee, that's why doctors prescribe beta blockers with diuretics.) I take a 1/4 pill a day, 12.5 mg of Atenolol. The combination is working well. However, I don't like putting any manufactured drugs into my body (well I do like wine on occasion).

Question: Does anyone out there know of any non-toxic plant based beta blockers?

Old 12-11-2004, 05:07 PM   #2

mrmojo HB User
Re: Plant Based Beta Blocker(s)?

What is the plant based diuretic you are taking?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
(female)

Joannofark HB User

I am taking fenugreek (botanical name is Phoenum graecum) seeds. I was concerned that if I said I was taking fenugreek, people might start taking them without realizing they could have a potent effect. The person who told me about them said to "take a teaspoon a day". Someone else who overheard him said "start with 10 (ten) seeds a day". I started with 1/4 teaspoon per day and felt light headed, it really dropped my blood pressure significantly. Hopefully, anyone who tries fenugreek should research it and then if it seems like an answer for them, start taking in amounts that are very conservative. In case you want to know, I soak the seeds in water the night before, then add them to dry cereal the next morning.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
(female)

waheshny HB User

I think you mean Herbs Don't you !!

Old 12-11-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
(female)

Joannofark HB User

Fenugreek can be used as an herb in cooking but it also has been used as an herbal medicine. The person who told me about its potential use for lowering bp was originally from India and referred to it as "Methi" seeds, which is the common name used in India (Indians also use Methi in cooking). You may want to research fenugreek on the web.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:03 PM   #6
(female)

waheshny HB User

Hello Joannofark;
Actually we use fenugreek as a cooking seasonings and we use it also in making sweets it just gives a wonderful flavor.
My Question:
When did you start taking fenugreek and how much did you take per day and how soon have you seen improvement on your bp readings? and what was the improvement on the bp?
I appreciate your help
thanx

Old 12-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #7
(female)

Joannofark HB User

I started taking fenugreek at the end of September, taking 1/4 teaspoon a day. My results were almost immediate as I said in the earlier post--my bp (which was measured by a nurse) had dropped to about 110/60. At that time, I was still taking the Atenolol, transitioning and figuring out what was working. I then dropped the Atenolol and went exclusively on the fenugreek. I monitored my bp frequently and gradually increased my dose of fenugreek. I noticed my bp was creeping up, especially on the diastolic rate. At the beginning of November I went to donate blood and my diastolic rate was over 100. The technician left me alone for a few minutes and then rechecked my bp. I took that opportunity to meditate (I need to do this more often) and when she rechecked my bp had dropped to 136/91. After that I continued to monitor my bp closely and finally decided to start taking the beta blocker again with the fenugreek (I was taking 6 teaspoons a day, which still isn't even close to the threshold of any side effects). I also purchased a home bp monitor so I don't have to go running to the drug store to check. At this point I am taking 1/4 pill Atenolol (12.5 mg) and 4 teaspoons of fenugreek per day. Exercise also really helps, For cardio, I do from 40-60 minutes (broken up in 20 minute segments) a minimum of 3 times a week (and I'm sweating--getting my heart rate up to 140).

I hope you find the answers that work for your life.

Old 12-12-2004, 02:00 PM   #8

mrmojo HB User

I have never heard of fenugreek - I will have to look into it.

I need to lower my BP just a little now to pass my pilot's medical exam - technically speaking, as long as "supplements" dont cause side effects, you dont have to report them to the FAA, but you do have to report prescription medication, & if you report BP meds you have to jump thru a couple dozen hoops to pass even if your BP is "controlled" and there are no adverse side effects

And all of the prescription meds I've tried had side effects bad enough (for me) I wouldnt think of trying to fly - dizzyness, lightheadedness, sudden urges to go use the can, falling asleep for no reason, etc.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #9
(female)

Joannofark HB User

You should be able to find info by searching the web under "fenugreek" or "Phoenum graecum". Again, if you try this, I would start out with a very low dose of 1/4 teaspoon or less (and you have to soak them because they are as hard as rocks) then monitor your bp--the day you start. (Sorry, if I sound too much like a mom, but from my experience the seeds had a potent affect on me at first.) I'd be interested in knowing--if you try them--how it works for you.

P.S. From what I read, there weren't any side effects until you started taking about 100 grams a day (about 25 teaspoons!).

Closed Thread