It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2004, 01:07 AM   #1

annarayne HB User
curious..

i had to go to the hospital about a week or so ago for breathing problems, while there they took my blood pressure and it was at 144 over 99. i've checked into this and found out that it's pretty high. last may i had gotten my blood pressure checked and it was normal. its always been very good. the nurses were very surprised to see it so high but they didn't say much more then "that's strange". should i worry or was this a one in a million things and it's probly fine? i have a doctor's appointment coming up in about a week for other unrelated issues, and might bring this up. i just wanted to know if blood pressure can be unpredictable as in it can go up really high but otherwise it's fine.. if that makes sense..

Old 12-12-2004, 03:07 AM   #2
(female)

zilea HB User
Re: curious..

it could be white collar fever...heaps of people have white collar fever, it's when you're in a certain situation having your ulse/blood pressure taken and if skyrockets. Mine goes way up when I get tested at the gym but not when I'm at the doctor or in hospital. Pretty wierd hey?

Zizzi.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 04:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

annarayne,

Anyone whose blood pressure doesn't go up markedly when brought into an emergency room with difficulty is someone who has probably died several days earlier. A raised blood pressure at times like this is perfectly normal; it's the body trying do it all it can to survive the episode of difficulty and make sure all the cells get all the oxygen and nourishment they need to battle the stress!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-12-2004 at 04:54 AM.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Definitely do not worry about it. Worry would only make things worse. Like Lenin said, BP goes up, sometimes a lot, when a person is under stress. But just to reassure yourself, why not plan to have your BP taken again when you are under more normal conditions.

Old 12-12-2004, 07:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annarayne
i had to go to the hospital about a week or so ago for breathing problems, while there they took my blood pressure and it was at 144 over 99.
Did you continue to have breathing problems in the hospital and did they give you anything to help your breathing? How long did it take for your breathing problems to stop?

Do you have any history of allergies or asthma?

Breathing problems can be caused by asthma, by stress, or by heart problems. Breathing problems combined with high blood pressure needs to be checked out.

Quote:
i've checked into this and found out that it's pretty high.
Do you have a blood pressure gauge at home? Without being able to check your own blood pressure, you don't know if the 144/99 was among your highest readings for the day, or among your lowest readings, and you don't know how long that level of reading persisted.

Quote:
should i worry or was this a one in a million things and it's probly fine?
Was this your first time having difficulty breathing? Have you had the problem again, since your visit to the hospital?

Quote:
i have a doctor's appointment coming up in about a week for other unrelated issues, and might bring this up. i just wanted to know if blood pressure can be unpredictable as in it can go up really high but otherwise it's fine.. if that makes sense..
Blood pressure normally varies throughout the day. If you took a reading every hour, you could get different readings each time. Those without high blood pressure problems will get a range of safe readings throughout the day and night.

Old 12-12-2004, 12:40 PM   #6

annarayne HB User

the breathing problem lasted for over 2 weeks, the doctors were totally stumped. i don't have asthma, that was ruled out at the hospital, my heart i'm pretty sure is in good condition, stress had actually been down in comparison to the weeks beforehand, my lungs were totally clear too. it was a complete mystery. only a few days ago i was able to breathe better again, it comes and goes but not nearly as bad as it was. i don't have anything to measure my blood pressure.

im not sure if this is relevent or not.. because its happened a lot before. i have these strange type of fainting spells.. although, i can't really call them that because i'm 100% aware of everything aroaund, i just can't move or see. when i was having trouble breathing i felt them coming on more then usual but only fell maybe once or twice. i have had this checked out, that's why i know on a regular given day my bp is normal and everything else is normal too.. (another mystery..). could this be related to my bp going up just all of a sudden?

Closed Thread