It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2004, 09:08 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User
Dogs Ownership and Hypertension

[ removed ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelady
The study shows that having a dog is beneficial to blood pressure, but mine is so hyper, I think he actually elevates it. (When he takes me for a walk, one can see my skidmarks all the way up the street.)
I've read this too. And, I can't see how coming home and finding all sorts of surprises (trash, feces, puke, etc.) could possibly lower one's blood pressure. And, then you have the fights with loved ones about who needs to do what dog/cat related chore (kitty litter duty, feeding, letting out to go, chasing down after escape). I don't care what the dog/cat lover's say. These animals create stress. And stress elevates BP.

But, then I did some research on this. And, found that someone actually did a randomized trial by having a group of folks adopt a dog from a shelter. See:

[url]http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~kmallen/Dog%20Ownership%20and%20Control%20of%20B orderline%20Hypertension.pdf[/url]

The results of this trial are actually rather impressive. However, there is one serious flaw I can see with the study. Since the control group was told that they would have to adopt a dog at month three, there is no way to really say that the initial blood pressures are true or if they are elevated because of the anitipication of adding a dog. And, when the dog is actually added, the anxiety about the dog is reduced. Still, it's an interesting study.

As a dog and cat owner, I still can't believe that these creatures are lowering my BP.

Pal

Last edited by moderator2; 12-12-2004 at 10:38 AM. Reason: do not react on the boards to moderator decisions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Dogs Ownership and Hypertension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
As a dog and cat owner, I still can't believe that these creatures are lowering my BP.

Pal
I own a poodle. If I touch the dog, or if he gets too close to me, it causes increased blood pressure and heart rhythm problems, so in my case owning a dog is not good for my health.

I've gotten too attached to the little mut, so he stays (at a distance), but now that I've learned about how a dog effects my health, I won't get another dog.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-12-2004 at 09:16 AM.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:45 AM   #3
Inactive

vintagelady HB User

Thanks for bailing me out, Pal. You're a real well . . .um . . . "pal." Still, I think it's interesting the various diversions one uses to naturally lower their bp. (better?)

Last edited by moderator2; 12-12-2004 at 10:39 AM. Reason: do not react on the boards to moderator decisions

Old 12-12-2004, 10:02 AM   #4
(male)

stackzone HB User

Believe it or not they say watching your fish lowers b/p too??? Sorry about your little mut beerzoids. I find the opposite though, walking my dog is a challenge and not always fun(he is a shelter dog) and drags me and runs me into trees. However before I got lazy and purchased a fence, I was walking him like four times a day and on days off of work maybe five times a day and those days I felt less stress. I dont feel well when I exercise, but these walks make me get the exercise I need- which should have helped my bp I wasnt really checking it close then. Also when G/f is working late sitting on the couch watching a game with the dog is definitely relaxing.

Last edited by stackzone; 12-12-2004 at 10:03 AM.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Interesting subject to me. I own a hyper Jack Russel Terrorist...At times she is comforting, but I doubt that that calming effect has a long lasting impact on me BP. I don't doubt that happy, pleasant feelings go along way in helping with one's BP control. I believe that meditation and biofeedback work, if the art is mastered. The mind has a powerful effect on the body and vice versa. Trauma to the body, whether from an automobile accident, or a heart attack, can damage the mind. Sometimes I believe that I stay in a state of "self hypnosis", without being aware of it. Life can dish out a lot, and we all cope as best we can, if we have some sanity about us. Hey I think I am drifting away...

Old 12-12-2004, 12:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I'm sure it varies with individuals, but I read other research a while back that having a dog was good for health, but having a cat had no effect. I think that dealt with blood pressure, too, but don't recall for sure. Age related memory problems here. As I recall, the article attributed the difference to the owners taking the time to walk the dog. Not many people walk their cats.

I've never had a dog, but have three cats. We had two while my husband was alive. Though I certainly don't know what influence they had on his blood pressure, they were certainly good for his health in other ways. After his stroke, about the only exercise he got was walking between his bed, the dining table, and the chair in front of the TV EXCEPT when he let one of the cats in or out. Then he had to walk down and back up a flight of stairs to the door. There was some risk associated with letting him do that and I wouldn't let him do it during the periods he was having balance problems, but since he learned to hang onto the rail securely it seemed to be good for him.

For me there have certainly been times they raised my blood pressure, especially when I have had to pay some of the vet bills. They only give me exercise when I have to round one of them up to take him to the vet or groomer. We have an open plan house and there have been times I've had to chase one up and down the stairs five times before I could catch him! But by and large, though, I think they've been good for my blood pressure. When I'd be crying at home during one of my husband's many serious hospitization stays and again after his death, one of them would always try to comfort me. Just sitting and petting them every day is calming. And I especially appreciated the many times one of them has awakened me from my nightmares when I scream. So I'd say, as a whole they have been good for both my physical and mental health.

Old 12-12-2004, 03:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

I've had animals all my life and from reading what everyone has to say, my guess is that it all depends on the individual animal and our own personal circumstances at any given time.

I've had hyper neurotic dogs that made me crazy and anxious (or was it the other way round??)and sweet placid dogs that gave me nothing but pleasure.

I've been lucky to have terrific cats, all of whom were easy to live with and care for. No puking, no fights, no litter box "issues", no begging for human food off my plate.

The one I have now kneads my neck when I have a headache. Free massage!
And I truly believe that the sound of purring is a natural blood pressure reducer!

The BIGGEST stress I go though now with the feline is when I have to travel for work (which involves being away from home sometimes for 3-month stretches).

You should see the angst and hair-pulling we go through here trying to find a responsible person to live-in for the duration! Bet my BP is WAY up until that's settled!

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 12-12-2004 at 03:53 PM.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

All I know is I have had animals all my life and now I only have 2 cats. I love them dearly but would have to say that everyday I want to field goal them out the door when they start their antics. I have an adorable black cat named Sylvester who loves to dump the water every time I fill it. I have a white cat named Tabitha who is the Queen of the house and thinks she allows us to live here and not the other way around. She jumps on the bar when we are eating and demands food and throws up whatever we give her including cat food. She sheds hair like crazy and we are constanly cleaning up throw up and hair.. We cannot relax on the couch without them both jumping on us and debilitating our legs or some other body part. Yes like ZuZu we get a nice message but it aint worth all the aggravation..oh maybe it is I love my God's little angels but yes they make my BP go up in the course of the day at times. I still love them though..Lisa

Old 12-12-2004, 04:47 PM   #9
(female)

CTLady HB User

I've been a lurker on this board for quite some time after being diagnosed with hypertension. I had to join now to respond to this thread.

Obviously if you are not an "animal" person, do not get a pet just to lower your blood pressure. From the sounds of it many of you are not. I have several pets and while things don't always go smoothly, the joy they bring me far outweighs anything else. I train my pets so I don't come home to "chewed objects, feces on the floor" etc.

I know I will catch flack for this but it seems to me that a few of you on here are obsessed with your blood pressure. That alone cannot be good for you. Heck anytime you drive on a busy road, you can get high blood pressure from all the crazy drivers around. Our children can raise our blood pressure. Stress will happen in day to day life.

I suppose if you know you are not equipped mentally and physically to care for a pet, then don't get one. At least this is something you can avoid.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:24 PM   #10
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Ok CTLady,

Here's the flack...catch it I think many are obsessed with the side effects of all the various hypertensive medications. Some are obsessed because their BP cannot be controlled (yikes). Still some are just obsessed (or maybe stressed) as you say.

I agree about the pet thingy. I disagree about how different people react to stress. Some, like my wife, react with an immediate increase in BP. I don't, and I think that there are a lot of people that don't. You may feel like you are going to explode, but your BP will be normal. On rare occasion, when I do get stressed, I run to check my BP, and it is perfectly normal. I only do this as an experiment, mind you (not obsessed with checking it). If it were true that BP was proportional to stress, wouldn't more people die of strokes and heart attacks when they got mad or stressed?

I must admit I have always heard the old axiom, "don't make him mad, he's got a heart condition". So maybe you're right? Very interesting subject to me. It reminds me of "high BP, the silent killer". I always thought this was true, and some doctors still believe that there are no symptoms associated with high BP, but I have heard from lots of people that they get a headache with high BP.

Welcome aboard

Jack

Old 12-13-2004, 04:03 PM   #11
(female)

CTLady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack51
Ok CTLady,

Here's the flack...catch it I think many are obsessed with the side effects of all the various hypertensive medications. Some are obsessed because their BP cannot be controlled (yikes). Still some are just obsessed (or maybe stressed) as you say.

I agree about the pet thingy. I disagree about how different people react to stress. Some, like my wife, react with an immediate increase in BP. I don't, and I think that there are a lot of people that don't. You may feel like you are going to explode, but your BP will be normal. On rare occasion, when I do get stressed, I run to check my BP, and it is perfectly normal. I only do this as an experiment, mind you (not obsessed with checking it). If it were true that BP was proportional to stress, wouldn't more people die of strokes and heart attacks when they got mad or stressed?

I must admit I have always heard the old axiom, "don't make him mad, he's got a heart condition". So maybe you're right? Very interesting subject to me. It reminds me of "high BP, the silent killer". I always thought this was true, and some doctors still believe that there are no symptoms associated with high BP, but I have heard from lots of people that they get a headache with high BP.

Welcome aboard

Jack

Caught it and thanks LOL

Old 12-13-2004, 05:06 PM   #12
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I have a cat and two dogs. Sometimes when im stressed or angry at somebody, i just go in a quiet place and talk to my animals. This does help me to reduce stress but i don't know if it lowers my bp.

Old 12-13-2004, 06:32 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Jack,

I can attest to the fact that a stroke can be the silent killer. I truly did not know that I had high BP until the stroke. My blood pressure was through the roof when I got to the ER. I can only say that perhaps I had gotten used to the high blood pressure which might have gone up gradually, because now that it is controlled, I can actually feel the difference when it is high. I do not get a headache, but it sounds crazy, I hear the sound of crickets in my ears.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:29 PM   #14
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

I can tell when my BP is high. My vision gets a little blurry sometimes and I get headaches and weird pains all over my body.

One of my co-workers blood pressure is consistently upwards of 160/110. I think he must be a stroke waiting to happen. He takes alot of medicine for it and it doesnt control it. He is very overweight.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:28 AM   #15
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I can tell, but anytime that I take it, it won't exceed 135/82 max.... even on my worst day.

Pets do help. I have a 5 year old Irish Setter-Afghan Hound-Chow Mix. She is crazy. She loves my girlfriend & I to death, but she is very controlling. When my g/f tried to clip he claws the other day, I could feel myself getting more worked up. She is my baby. I have had her since 3 months. I let her get away with too much. If anything she probably brings my B/P down, because on the weekends it averages lower than during the week. When I had my 1st panic attack 22 months ago that started me on all of this, she could tell that something was wrong. I got up & took my B/P at the grocery store. When I saw 190/100, I flipped. It was my own doing. Now I average 116/66 or lower. I stopped drinking during the week+. At 34, I just want to feel like taking her for runs all of the time again. The Beta Blockers kill my desire to excercise as much.

Closed Thread