It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 07:46 AM   #1

Aus78 HB User
Took my B/P yesterday and

it was 133/88. I was anxious sitting there in the chair. Took it at my local Wal Mart. The machine there is pretty accurate the pharmacist said. As I said I was anxious since I do have a anxiety problem. Is this reading extremly high? I usually check it every once in a while. Usually runs 120-130/ 70-80. Also, why am I so obsessed about my b/p. I always think about taking it all the time. Is this some kind of disorder or something. I am a 26 year old male. 5ft 10 168lbs. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: Took my B/P yesterday and

That's only a slightly elevated reading. It is better to have it lower than that as an average resting pressure, but it is nothing to get excited about if it was taken under "anxiety" conditions.

Why not try to learn to do breathing exercises as a method of lowering your blood pressure? I would think that might get you to feel you have more control over it and therefore it might help your anxiety about it, as well. There are CDs available on the web which lead one through appropriate breathing exercises. (Long slow breaths, deeply inhaling and exhaling.) One even has a sample on the web, so you can try it out. I can't give a link here, but you could probably find it in doing a web search. Might be worth a try.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78
Took it at my local Wal Mart.
FWIW, I get higher than normal readings ("white coat") when taking it in public places. I'll get an accurate reading if the store is not crowded or if the machine is located in a more private setting.

Pal

Old 12-13-2004, 08:28 AM   #4
Inactive

Random2 HB User

You are fine with that reading. I was getting readings like 106/56 last week when I was totally relaxed. This morning it was 132/80 at Winn Dixie. After 10 minutes it was 116/72. When places are crowded I avoid taking my B/P & no I am not buying a monitor. I am obsessed enough.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I don't know how active you are, but if you don't get much exercise, you might think about trying to add a bit to your daily routine. Even brisk walking is good. Exercise lowers blood pressure, and it helps ease anxiety and depression.

Before a couple years ago, your readings would have been considered normal. They have recently reclassified readings, so yours would now be called "pre-hypertension". At 26, I would not worry about readings in your range.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:00 AM   #6

Aus78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
FWIW, I get higher than normal readings ("white coat") when taking it in public places. I'll get an accurate reading if the store is not crowded or if the machine is located in a more private setting.

Pal
Thanks for all the post's. I really appreciate all the response's. Yes I have "white coat" bad. I can be sitting at the b/p machine and thinking in my mind "its going to be high, its going to be high" . I get myself worked up. Kinda sucks. I have had anxiety for a while. Probably about 6 years or so. It use to be real bad, trips to the ER bad. Of course they sent me home saying nothing is wrong. But over the years without meds I have learned when I get anxious to calm down. I use to go in full blown panic attacks. Anyways, I am a head case sometimes. But most the time I am a loving father and husband. I sure do love my 2 and a half year old. By the way, this message board rocks

Old 12-13-2004, 11:51 AM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Mine are actually much better at the pharmacies & grocery stores.... 115/62 today. At the doc. 156/86 last time.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:37 PM   #8

Aus78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillians Axe
Mine are actually much better at the pharmacies & grocery stores.... 115/62 today. At the doc. 156/86 last time.

Mine are ok most of the time at the stores. I do get all crazy when someone is standing next to me and it goes up on the machine.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:35 PM   #9
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

I have my own BP monitor. It's almost worn out because I use it so much. Sometimes even taking my own BP makes me nervous. If I think it's going to be high it usually is. Going to the doctor makes me nervous so it's always higher there.

Sometimes I watch other people taking their BP in the store. It's interesting to see who has high BP and who doesnt

Old 12-14-2004, 07:32 AM   #10
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I do the same thing Frontier. I can't believe some of the readings these people get. I see 165/99 & etc. all of the time with pulse rates of over 100. How can someone function like that. I get on the B/P monitor & get 114/64 with a pulse of 58 & they must think that I am on another planet. All of the older people (in their 90's & etc), tell me that I am too young to worry about my B/P. I am on the same meds. that they are on. The lowest reading that I have seen was like 90/48. Some lady was on 5/20 of Lotrel like me. That is over-medicated imo.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Aus,
If you are NOT taking BP drugs, you're readings are just fine...check again in a year or two.

Closed Thread