It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 07:37 AM   #1
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Did anyone see Frontline last night?

It was on PBS, and I think it is an older program that has been updated. I missed the original. The title was "Dangerous Prescriptions". It revealed how the dam* Pharm companies totally control the FDA senior management.

Did y'all know that any drug that is submitted to the FDA for approval, requires $500,000 from the drug companies to be paid to the FDA, to cover testing? I shore didn't. There is also more money involved, from the drug companies to the FDA (legally). I suppose the drug companies love this, since if approved, they stand to make billions.

Doctors are not required to report any adverse reactions, to any drugs, to the FDA. If the docs want to, they can contact the drug makers and report the reactions. Then the drug makers are required to report their findings to the FDA, within 15 days, though a system called "Medwatch". Anyone who takes a drug, that hasn't been out for over a year or more, is taking a real risk (me thinks).

Many of the FDA scientist with PHD's, but that are not in the higher management levels of the FDA, are rebuked, and set aside to lesser tasks, for finding safety problems with drugs.

The program documented how Fen-Phen was finally removed from the market. Some ultrasound techs in a hospital, in Fargo North Dakota, noticed that a lot of the younger women that they were doing echocardiograms on, all had problems with one or more valves in their heart. They started asking what medicines the women were taking. Most were taking Fen-Phen. They reported this to a cardiologist. He agreed there was a problem (after initially being very skeptical, but noticed it in some of his patients). He contacted the Mayo Clinic in Mn. The Clinic reviewed their records. They agreed there was a problem. They contacted the makers of Fen-Phen. The pharms contacted the FDA as required, but buried the heart valve problem within the Medwatch report to the FDA. The FDA did nothing. Time went on. Finally, doctors from the Mayo Clinic and the cardiologist from Fargo, held a news conference. Then the FDA quickly removed the drug from the market. To date the makers of Fen-Phen, have paid >13 billion in lawsuits.

Congress voted to allow this control, that the pharms have over the FDA. It all came about when people were protesting/semi-rioting the FDA headquarters (late eighties, I believe), because of the slow process of the approval of medicine for HIV treatment. The rules were changed to speed up the approval process for all drugs, and the drug manufacturers were ask to pay the FDA for the required testing of their drug. (The fox is guarding the hen house)

PBS said that more info is available at their website.

Pardon me editorial

Jack B. Amazed (or Naive)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 02:14 PM   #2
(female)

Joannofark HB User
Re: Did anyone see Frontline last night?

Jack, didn't see it, wish I would have.

I'm repeating myself from other posts, but for those of you interested in this subject you may want to read the book "The Truth About the Drug Companies--How They Deceive Us and What To Do About It" by Marcia Angell, M.D. Dr. Angell is a former editor in chief of the New England Journal of Medicine and winner of the Polk Award.

This is BIG business and the "rules" have changed for this industry over the last 20 years--and the "rules" have had an adverse effect on consumers. This book (probably in your library) will change your perspective. Do you want to see things differently?

Old 12-15-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I saw the excellent program Jack.

Personally I think a 17 year old drug is JUST about right for me. By the time it's generic even the DRUG companies have every incentive to damn it if it's damnable (to sell their PATENT meds.)
If it survives THAT onslaught, it's a good pill!
I LOVE when my doctor says something truly stupid like: "Nobody likes Valium anymore"

Old 12-15-2004, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Even the preview of the book Joannofark suggested, which is on the web of a well-known online bookstore, makes fine reading. I not only ordered the book, but one as a Christmas gift as well. Thanks, Joann.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:46 AM   #5
(female)

Joannofark HB User

Thank you Uff-Da, you made my day.

Closed Thread