It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 05:27 PM   #1
(female)

Lilac Wine HB User
21 and high blood pressure

So I went in for my first pap test the other day (i'm 21). Along with this they asked me a bunch of questions about medical stuff that runs in my family.
So before my test i'm all nervouse and hot and stuff. I'm all cold but have the clammy sweat just from the situation. Well the doctor takes my blood pressure and it's high.
So he filled out this sheet and wants me to get tested for a bunch of stuff! Like hematology, glucose, TSH, cholesterol. etc.... I take my blood pressure quite often and somtimes it is in the high-normal range but thats it.
Is this neccessary? I know I can do lots in my life to help it like excerise more and eat better. But i'm not over weight or anything.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:23 PM   #2

naes HB User
Re: 21 and high blood pressure

Unless you are relaxed emotionally and physically the readings you get shouldn't be taken literally. Getting a blood test done is something good to have anyway, so I would go ahead and let him do it, but I'm sure it will all come back good. You should check your blood pressure where you are comfortable to see if it really is high or not. What did the doctor say your BP was?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

JMHO: A blood test like that should give you a good baseline. Ask the doctor's office for a copy of it when it comes back. That can provide a good basis for comparison of future tests as you age. It will probably all be fine. Then get a complete physical with a new blood test every couple of years while you are young, every year as you start getting a little older. Get and file copies of blood tests each year. You'll be able to see what direction things are heading and in most cases be able to take action before a lot of serious things start to go wrong later in life.

A single blood pressure reading when you are under stress is pretty meaningless. It is your usual blood pressure which counts much more.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:26 AM   #4
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Great advice.

My doc. says that if you are on B/P meds. that you should have blood tests every year. My g/f has no spleen & only needs one every 2 years. Strange, but I understand that they want to see if there is an increase in glucose & want to check kidney function primarily, as well as cholesterol.

Closed Thread