It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User
Hypertension diagnosis

My doctor put me on Diovan last January for hypertension. My home readings ranged from 120/80 to 135/88. Everytime I would visit the doctor it would be high. I would get very anxious when they took it so naturally my readings would be high. The question I have is the doctor only listened to my heart with a stethoscope. I had no ekg or stress test and was jut put on medication. I exercise regularly on a treadmill but I have noticed lately that when I walk up a steep hill for example I get a little short of breath. I don't get this when walking on level ground. Should I be concerned? Can mild hypertension damage the heart?? I can walk briskly on a treadmill using upper body poles vigorously for 50 minutes and I feel great and no shortness of breath. I know I am getting a good workout because my heart rate is up there and I work up a good sweat..

Old 12-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: Hypertension diagnosis

No sweat... no pun intended. I got put on meds., because my B/P rises a lot at the doc. as well. I don't buy this "Well if you have white-coat then it probably rises in traffic...." Mine rises at the doctor. That is it. I was put on meds. after one time as well. I think that it is ridiculous that they do that, but it means more appointments for them & more $'s. They are also CYA..... Keep up the good habits. Go to someone who specializes in HBP & try the 24 hour monitor. It would give a better indication of white-coat & whether you even need to be on the meds. I don't understand how GP's can put people on meds. after one or two readings. It's ridiculous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2004, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

What happened with me was I would go to the doctor and they put you in a room and the nurse comes in and takes your blood pressure. Well, I would ask them what it was and they would say 140/92 and leave the room. I remember asking the doctor if I had hypertension and he looked at me and said he would be treating everyone that came in for it and he waited and took it again and this time it was 126/82. I had changed my coverage and had a new doctor. The nurse came in took my bp and made the comment "do you have pressure problems? From then on everytime I went to the doctors I would get very uptight and my pressure would be high. The doctor had me monitor it at home for a week and my readings ranged from 120/80 to 135/88. I know bp changes constantly for many different reasons during the day. I went back he took it and this time it was 140/78. He told me he was not concerned. I had to go back a few months later for a physical and this time when he checked it was 160/100. He put me on medication. I got to the point that I was so uptight once I arrived there that my heart would be racing and as soon as they wrapped the cuff around my arm my heart was pounding in my chest so naturally my pressure would be high.. I wanted to have a ambulatory bp to wear for 24 hours but they would not go along with that so instead they had me monitor it at home. I just wish they did a more thorough check up on me before they prescribed medication.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

George

I agree with your own assessment of your situation. I think that before taking BP control medications, you should really wait to be sure that you need them. Once you are on them, you never really know, for awhile. One way to still maybe draw a conclusion, is to compare the type and dosage of your medicine to your average BP. If you could, go by a pharmacy on a regular basis, and let someone use a spaghettyometer (can't spell that) to check your BP. Record this information and run it by your doc when you get the evidence put together. I am not saying that your home BP monitor isn't accurate, but they do have a large tolerance in stated accuracy.

Hope you find out if you need the medicine or not.

Jack

Old 12-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I have seen many cases where people will have 160/100 at the docs office & refuse the meds, my Mom included. The docs office is not a good place to judge accurate B/P readings.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

I have two home blood pressure monitors. One is a manual one with a stethoscope and dial and you have to listen for your pulse to get the readings and the other is an Omron 711 automatic kit. I compared readings using both and they are pretty close. I took the manual kit to the doctor and the nurse said it was accurate. I use both at home but the digital one is easier to use so I use it more often. My readings are lower since starting the medication. They average 115/75 and before starting the medication most of my readings were 125/80 or in the high normal range 130-139/85/89 range.. I just hate the thought that I may not truely have hypertension. I read a book by a doctor who says that many people are misdiagnosed and put on medication when they really do not have it...

Old 12-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

GeorgeP, i wish i had your numbers of 130 over anything. That is where my dr, endo and cardio said it should be. Unfortunately, even with verapamil 240, and zestoretic 10/12.5mgs) it still runs 150-190ish over 80.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:05 AM   #8
Inactive

Random2 HB User

JTU,

You bottom# looks good. Are those the #'s that you get at the doctor or outside of the office? You might be on a combo that doesn't help you as much as it should.

Closed Thread