It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

quirkyclown HB User
what should my blood pressure be during exercise

i need to know what my blood pressure should be during exercise. i am currently taking a medication that is know to raise peoples blood pressure and while i was exercising today i got very nauseous and had a headache the machine said my blood pressure was 180. i am only 28.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
(female)

Joannofark HB User
Re: what should my blood pressure be during exercise

Hello Quirkyclown . . . I am have been exercising seriously for the last 3 years (I am a 50 year old female, lost 35 pounds and significantly decreased body fat). My rule of thumb is if I'm feeling bad, then I need to immediately back off on the exercise (in other words, listen to your body). In case you aren't aware, for cardio the guideline is you exercise at 80% of your max heart rate. So, the formula: take the number 220 - your age equals whatever number, then that number times 80%. So, if you were 30 years old, it's 220 - 30 = 190; 190 X .80 = 152. Your effective exercising cardio rate should be 152, If you got up around 180ish, that may be why you felt nauseous and got a headache. You may want to double check this above formula with a trainer . . . it's always a good idea to double check whatever anyone tells you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2004, 12:38 PM   #3
(female)

Joannofark HB User

Quirkyclown, I want to modify what I wrote in my earlier post. In general, you don't want to go from exercising strenuously to immediately stopping (too sudden a change for your body). But if you are having serious symptoms like you described, you [U]may[/U want to stop immediately, If I was in your shoes, I'd describe what happened to you and ask 2-3 trainers if they'd recommend stopping exercise right away, or not.

Also, just as a couple of guidelines you know you are getting a good cardio work out if you are sweating but you should still be able to talk. If you can't hardly talk (maybe labored breathing) you are pushing your body too hard.

If you want to read an all around good book on health/fitness/exercise, you may want to check out "Fitness and Health" by Brian J. Sharkey. (5th edition is the latest, I think). Good luck & enjoy those workouts--especially the seratonin high when you stop exercising!

Old 12-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Quirky,

Joann gave you some great info. I just wanted to add a rule of thumb for exercising blood pressure.

Generally, the systolic blood pressure (top number) should not increase more than 60 points above your baseline....OR above 190, whichever one is lower.

So, if your baseline (resting) systolic blood pressure is 120, it's best if your peak blood pressure doesn't increase above 180 while exercising.

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 12-20-2004 at 11:06 AM.

Closed Thread