It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 06:40 AM   #1
(female)

Emeraldeyes HB User
Dizziness

Hello Everyone:

I am presently taking clonidine .1mg 5x's/day. This is the only medication that seems to work on my hbp. I also wear the viville *** patch for hormone replacement. I have decided to try and cut back on my clonidine since my bp is doing good. (I hate taking drugs and never have before the hbp) My problem is that when I cut back slowly ( I take 1 in the morning, 1 at lunch, 1 at supper and 2 at bedtime) taking just the 1 1/2 at bedtime instead of 2, I get real dizzy. I have been doing this for a week, the bp is doing pretty good but I am so dizzy. Has anyone every heard of this? I know that you have to slowly wean from clonidine and that is what I am trying to do. When I go back to my regular dosage the dizziness is not as bad. It just don't make sense. Do you think after taking clonidine for so many years that it has done something to my head?

Old 12-17-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: Dizziness

I take clonidine along with a calcium channel blocker. I currently take .1mg three times a day. I have been as high as .6 mg a day. I've never experienced dizziness from it.

I think dizziness is usually associated with too low blood pressure, but I would expect a person would get dizzy from a higher dose rather than a lower dose.

How long have you been wearing the hormone patch? Might this be the cause instead? Do you change anything else besides reducing the clonidine? Have you recently started any new vitamins or dietary suppliments?

You might want to ask a pharmacist or your doctor about the dizziness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2004, 05:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Emeraldeyes,

I agree with mgraylorn that it's probably caused by BP too low. It's a more likely Dx if you experience that dizziness when first standing up or lifting your head after tying your laces (postural hypotension.)

Old 12-18-2004, 05:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I agree with mgraylorn that it's probably caused by BP too low. It's a more likely Dx if you experience that dizziness when first standing up or lifting your head after tying your laces (postural hypotension.)
Yep, dizziness is normally assciated with low BP. That's also why almost every anti-hypertensive out there has dizziness as a side-effect.

Pal

Closed Thread