It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
(male)

rworell HB User
Confused

Hi everyone, I'm new to the boards....I have High BP. 10 weeks ago my numbers were always 135-140 / 85-90, Finally got serious at the gym. I lost 20lbs and my last doc. visit my bp was 112/64.
He lowered my meds from 50 to 25mg of Atenelol a day. I was psyched..... My BP machine broke...I bought a new one (Omron)...My numbers barely come out of the 135/70 range now....I do see some 120/68's, yet I have to lie still motionless for about 30 mins. That's crazy. I used to be able to check my numbers in about 10 min. before. I have another doc appointment in 4 weeks. I'm assuming the numbers will be good. (I hope). I have to admit. I'm abit obsessed with my Bp readings now. I never used to. Do you think my machine is in acurate???? I can never seem to get the cuff right...Is it to tight or is it too loose????? I never know. My routine at the gym has not changed...Just the brand of monitor.

Questions to you...What do you use to check your #'s
Does it take forever for your #'s to come dowm?
Thanks guys
Rich

Old 12-18-2004, 09:31 PM   #2

naes HB User
Re: Confused

Congratulations on the weightloss and reduction in BP -- I'm sure your doctor was thrilled.

Are you nervous when taking your BP now? That can definitely raise your BP and probably will. A cuff that is strapped on too tight gives you a high reading and a cuff strapped on too lose gives you a low reading. It's gotta be just right.

Your machine could be inaccurate, but I doubt it. You can take it to your doctor at the next appointment to check it's accuracy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2004, 03:15 AM   #3
(male)

rworell HB User

Yeah I'm probably a little nervous, I know that I'm counting on my BP to be low and when its not, I get a little stressed about it. I must say my BP is never really at high levels.....Yet when is the optimal time to check it and how long should one rest than check it....I'm extremily active and always on the move. I'm sure my BP is never in the Normal range ever except when I sleep. So what's normal???????

I should also state: in my first post....My bp readings at home were always on the normal side, every other day that I checked it. Prior to my monitor breaking and then getting a new one.

Thanks again,
Rich

Old 12-19-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Hey, I have an Omron 780 and I don't like the cuff either. I have an average size arm for a man, and my wife has a small arm for a lady. We both use it, and both take BP medication. Her BP is always higher than mine and she is much more healthy than myself. (cardiac cripple here) I think that you can order different size cuffs. The cuff that came with it seems to never be tight enough, before the inflation starts. It tends to rotate a lot too.

Remember to have your arm at heart level. I think the manual says to do so....Gotta check that again. The readings I get with mine, vary somewhat. I take my BP 3 or 4 times at a session, when I take it. I don't like the variations and it happens with my wife also. I have the real deal BP measuring device (with a stethoscope) that has been calibrated by a nurse at the doctor's office. My pressure doesn't vary with it.

I have noticed that the BP machine at my pharmacy, will give me almost the same readings, 3 times in a row. Must be a solid machine....(Comments please)

I really use the Omron as a reference for a developing trend. I don't literally believe it is that accurate on any one specific reading. I take the averages. I only use it because of it's convenience.

You should be watching for an increasing trend in your BP. You don't know if the weight loss and better shape will fully counteract the decrease in your medicine.

Glad to hear that you could decrease your medicine. That must make you feel better, in more ways than one.

Jack

Old 12-19-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
(male)

rworell HB User

Yeah I really get discussded with mine....Its an HEM-432C Manual with a pump.
I can get the 120-125 / 70-80 readings yet I get allot more odd readings in between. I remember that my old lumiscope was so much more accurate.. I should just stop taking it....I was not to convinced that my last doc visit was going to be so low and wow to my surprise it was! Especially with his stethiscope rig. I'm sure there is no comparison. I think I'll just wait for my next appointment.

Thanks
Rich

Old 12-20-2004, 02:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack51
Hey, I have an Omron 780 and I don't like the cuff either. I have an average size arm for a man, and my wife has a small arm for a lady. We both use it, and both take BP medication. Her BP is always higher than mine and she is much more healthy than myself. (cardiac cripple here) I think that you can order different size cuffs. The cuff that came with it seems to never be tight enough, before the inflation starts. It tends to rotate a lot too.
I have a ReliOn 780 which is exactly the same thing. I absolutely love the cuff. The cuff is a little different than the standard cuff that comes with most monitors. I believe they call it "Easy Cuff". You just wrap and stick. It doesn't have those confusing metal loops. It has a high degree of adjustability. It works great for me, my wife and our kid.
Quote:
Remember to have your arm at heart level. I think the manual says to do so....Gotta check that again.
As with ANY monitor, this is extremely critical to obtain an accurate reading. Try doing an experimenting with your arm at different levels. You will be amazed at how different the readings will be.
Quote:
The readings I get with mine, vary somewhat. I take my BP 3 or 4 times at a session, when I take it. I don't like the variations and it happens with my wife also. I have the real deal BP measuring device (with a stethoscope) that has been calibrated by a nurse at the doctor's office. My pressure doesn't vary with it. I have noticed that the BP machine at my pharmacy, will give me almost the same readings, 3 times in a row. Must be a solid machine....(Comments please)
I usually only take it once. If I question the reading, I'll take it again in the other arm. It takes several minutes for your arm to recover. And, if you just remain seated, it can take even longer. At your pharmacy, you are probably getting up and walking around which will help your arm recover faster. I can't explain why your stethoscope wouldn't have the same problem with successive readings.

Pal

Old 12-20-2004, 07:17 AM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I take a huge rock & bash it over my head when I want to take my blood pressure. When it averages 116/66 or lower for 22 months away from the doctor, I think that taking it 15 times a month is too much for me. Enough is enough.

Closed Thread