It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
(male)

Oklahoma HB User
Wide variance between morning and evening readings

Hello,

I have been reading this board for a couple of weeks but this is my first post.

I am 46, male, 6'1'', 220 pound, non smoker.

I was diagnosed with HBP about a month ago, based on my readings and the doctors readings. The doctor put me on 5mg Norvasc for 2 weeks and my readings didn't improve enough so he increased the doseage to 10mg.

Now, my morning readings are 135-155/95-100. While my evening readings are 105-120/65-75. Mornings are taken while getting ready for work after I shave, brush my teeth, etc. Evening readings are taken while I am completely relaxed, usually watching TV.

Is it normal for the morning and evening readings to be this far apart? Do I need further medicine adjustments?

I'm confused! The morning readings aren't too great but I haven't been resting 10 or 15 minutes before taking them (while at the same time I haven't been running around the block either).

I'm just interested in any comments that any of you have. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2004, 07:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User
Re: Wide variance between morning and evening readings

Those variations are typical of most people. You might want to give the Norvasc 10mg a little more time to settle in before deciding on adjustments. I suspect it may still drop a little more. And, even if it doesn't, you are probably ok with the numbers you have. You'd have to make this decision between you and your doctor. Hopefully, he is basing medication decisions on your home numbers and not the single number he gets in his office.

Pal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 07:50 AM   #3
(male)

Oklahoma HB User

Pal,

Thanks. Yes he is going on the numbers I give him from home. The numbers I get at his office are around 160/110 (which he says are elevated simply because I don't really want to be there!).

Old 12-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

When do you take the Norvasc? Are your morning readings before or after you take the drug? Wonder if your morning numbers might benefit if you took the Norvasc at bedtime, or split the dosage, morning and evening? Just guessing here.

I also agree with Palamedes. In the morning you are rushing around getting ready for work and you probably have some anxiety or wondering about how the work day will go that will push up your blood pressure. At night, you're home, relaxed, have the whole evening before the workday starts again tomorrow.

Something else to consider, have you had a morning cup of coffee before your readings? I've discovered that my morning blood pressure is up after I drink tea with breakfast.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:55 AM   #5
Inactive

Random2 HB User

In the morning my Systolic is usually about 10 points higher & my diastolic is about 8. It is normal. 160/110 in his office..... I usually get like 156/86 in the docs. office & 121/71 1/2 later. I don't go by the reading that I get in the docs. office.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:58 AM   #6
(male)

Oklahoma HB User

Thanks for the replies. The Norvasc is split; 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. I take the morning dose right when I get up and take my blood pressure about 15 minutes later so I expect the morning dose hasn't had time to do anything. The doctor told me to stick with this routine until after the first of the year and then he would look at my numbers and see if he needed to change anything. Hopefully the morning numbers will be better by then!

Interesting note. This morning I took the reading as I normally do and got 142/94. Then I got back in bed and waited about 5 minutes and took it again and got 134/88 and waited 5 minutes more and got 120/84. So, which number is really my morning number???

Old 12-22-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I usually take it 1 hour or so after I wake up to 2 hours. Take it 3 times. Wait 8-10 minutes & average the 2nd & 3rd readings.

Old 12-23-2004, 05:09 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

My morning BP is always markedly higher than in the evening. I guess we were bred to get into the fields first thing and start plowing?
My theory is that the caveman's waking BP had to be high for those times he was awaken in his cave by a BEAR sniffing his toes!

Modern man's variant might be..."OH GOD, gotta move the car before the street sweepers ticket me."

Closed Thread