It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

strong_one HB User
What can make your diastolic # go down?

My Systolic pressure seems to be ok considering I have a cold 135 - 150ish. My diastolic number is quite high in the 99 - 105ish numbers. What can you do to bring that number down....medication or any other ways. I'm not sure if its just a temporary thing because I am just getting over a cold or if my BP is just getting back up there. I'm on 20 mg of Lisinopril and it seemed to work for the first 3 months. Tried resperate in conjunction with exercise and seemed to bring it down but here I am again back up. I feel ok and great just have a cough. Any suggestions? Drinking plenty of OJ and never did take any cold meds....just rode it out.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:38 AM   #2
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: What can make your diastolic # go down?

Relaxing & not stressing out. That is what typically lowers mine. My Diastolic goes up when I walk a distance or if I am stressed out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Axe,

Come on. Relaxing and not stressing out? If you had 150/105 you would be freaking out.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I get readings like 156/86 at the doc., but they drop to 121/71 an hour later. For a Diastolic that stays at that level then meds. might be the only alternative.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Girl, diuretics (hctz) usually brings my diastolic down to 72ish. Your cough may come from lisinopril. I am back on lisinopril 20mgs but i cut it in half. I told my cardio i was allergic to lisinopril but she insist i take it anyway.

I would be concerned if the diastolic gets high bcuz that tells how well the arteries are working. Anytime my diastolic goes over 80 i worry. I have heart problems and im diabetic so that's not good for me.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:43 PM   #6
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Get in good physical shape, or exercise regularly. Eat the right foods (stop any junk). Lose weight if you have any extra pounds. Don't smoke. Decrease your sodium intake.

It is almost impossible to lower the diastolic pressure without lowering the systolic pressure also. The only difference is the contraction or stroke of the heart, right? In a healthy person, blood pressure is regulated by the expansion of the arteries, when the heart contracts, and the contraction of the arteries when the heart rest. The arteries act as accumulators, they either expand to limit the peak increase in BP, upon a beat, or contract to limit the peak decrease in BP, when the heart rests. Without this elasticity of our arteries, our BP would be something like 245/25. Our veins are totally different and do not have this property. Of course there are hormones and other components of our blood, that effect BP.

As we age, our arteries lose some of their elasticity, and is why most people's BP increases with age. Arteriosclerosis really effects this elasticity, and can be a natural result of aging, and can be accelerated by smoking and other bad habits.

Hope you don't have any bad habits and please tell everone what this confounded drink consist of, Ha ha aha

Jack

Old 12-22-2004, 06:38 AM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Disclipline.... The holidays are a tough time to stick to it.

Closed Thread