It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

Trishntx HB User
Fainting after giving blood!!

HI, I am new to the board, just wondering if anyone here has ever fainted while giving blood?
Yesterday, was my second donation, after it was done, I drank some orange juice and a cookie, my daughter-in-law and I walked to the car and I started it up, in just an instant I started feeling light headed and lost my hearing. I laid my head on the door and passed right out. when I came to, there were a ton of people around me and I was covered in vomit. They said I had been out for about 10 min. and they couldn't get me to come around. I don't remember any of it, not to mention, peeing all over myself in the whole process. They kept asking me if I were under stress of some kind.
What is weird, is the fact that I felt just fine going to the car, then BAM!
My daughter in law said my eyes were slammed shut and my lips were twitching. I thought most people only passed out for a minute or two and then came to and all was fine.
Anyone elese ever do this????? or know why in the world this would happen??

Old 01-02-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Fainting after giving blood!!

Are U on any kind of meds. for BP? I hope U have spoken to a dr. about what happened, as U didn't just pass out, U had some weird affects happen also.

I certainly would have it checked out to see what caused it all, as it doesn't sound normal to me. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
(female)

Trishntx HB User

Well, no I haven't spoken to a Dr yet...I will Monday.
The only medicine I take is a diruetic. I don't take them daily, and I hadn't taken one that day.
I really don't know what caused that type of reaction, but I have felt fine ever since then.
I think it is going to be awhile before I give blood again though.
thanks for your opinion.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #4

MathMom HB User

Yes, I have fainted after giving blood, but mine was much, much milder than you described. I was out only seconds, no vomit, no pee, no twitching. I think you may have had some other sort of episode, and I'm very glad to hear that you are seeing a doctor tomorrow. Will your daughter-in-law or someone else be able to go with you? It would be wise to let someone else drive until you figure out what happened.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

I would definitely talk to your physician about what happened....I have had episodes of fainting spells throughout my life but never lasting as long or with vommiting and loss of bladder function....I believe seizure activity is associated with bladder incontinence so you should definitely see your doctor especially since this is your first episode. Good luck and remember peace of mind is sometimes worth having things checked out.....Goody

Old 01-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
(female)

Trishntx HB User

Thank you all so much for the advice.

Closed Thread