It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
(male)

JimJ HB User
High BP in Legs

I've always ahd high blood pressure. They ahve finally gotten it to stay in th normal range with a combination of drugs. Being diabetic I have a problem with tingling and such in my legs and feet so I checked my Bp in my legs today.

I was sitting without any of the normal bp raisers(crossed legs and such).

Left arm was 116/86
Right arm was 122/84

Left leg was 182/150
right leg was 220/180

I am taking Lopressor, clondine, and Diltiazem.
Anyone else ever have leg bp's like this or hear of what could cause it? Maybe it's normal. I don't know. I actually was expecting it to be much lower than the arm since the are numb and tingly now.

Last edited by JimJ; 01-02-2005 at 11:19 AM.

Old 01-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: High BP in Legs

Jim,
I personally have never taken my own leg BP but I know that the systolic # in the legs is supposed to be higher than in arm. Not sure by how much though...Maybe you should check these #s out with your doctor.

BP readings that are lower in the legs than arms are considered abnormal, especially in diabetics, where peripheral artery disease is always a concern.
What kind of cuff did you use by the way? And did you take measurement in your ankle or thigh? Either way, you should be lying down for this,(otherwise there's the possibility of very skewed readings) but you probably have done this before...

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 01-03-2005 at 10:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Gee,
I never thought about that. Where do you measure? Like mid-thigh? Are standard arm cuffs BIG enough?

Anyhoo:
Quote:
Normally, the systolic blood pressure in the legs is usually 10% to 20% higher than the brachial artery pressure. Blood pressure readings that are lower in the legs as compared with the upper arms are considered abnormal and should prompt a work-up for peripheral vascular disease.
........from a Doctor Barbara Levin

It seems logical because you are measuring blood in two big hoses (aorta and femoral artery.) Since there is very little flow resistance to deal with I think you're measuring almost the direct ventricular pressure in the heart on systolic.

Jim, yours DOES seem inordinately high.

(Guess what I'LL be trying tonight.)

Last edited by Lenin; 01-02-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Hi Jim! I am diabetic also and usually i have my dr take my bp in both my legs (ankles) and my arms. I read an article that stated most drs forget to check vital spots so we are to remind them.

I have a difficult time controlling bp at this time.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:51 PM   #5

Aus78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJ
I've always ahd high blood pressure. They ahve finally gotten it to stay in th normal range with a combination of drugs. Being diabetic I have a problem with tingling and such in my legs and feet so I checked my Bp in my legs today.

I was sitting without any of the normal bp raisers(crossed legs and such).

Left arm was 116/86
Right arm was 122/84

Left leg was 182/150
right leg was 220/180

I am taking Lopressor, clondine, and Diltiazem.
Anyone else ever have leg bp's like this or hear of what could cause it? Maybe it's normal. I don't know. I actually was expecting it to be much lower than the arm since the are numb and tingly now.
Thats normal.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

I've never heard of taking it in the leg. But, if you are going to do that, you would have to take it at heart level for it to be meaningful. In other words, you'd probably have to be lieing down. The high readings are caused by gravity because you are measuring it way below hear level.

Pal

Old 01-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

In the NEVER-NEED-TO-KNOW department:

I've often thought about the gravity effect and finally decided to quantify it, to see if it was trivial or considerable.
So I pulled out a handy-dandy conversion chart from the ether and see that 1 mm.Hg (1 millimeter mercury) is equal in pressire to a column of water .53525 inches high (I think blood and water are similar in density.)
So each inch differencial between cuff and heart should give a 2 mmHg differential in BP reading (higher when the cuff is lower.)

Goodness, that's more than I'd have thought at first blush and a standing BP taken at the leg based on a difference of say 30 inches, would get a reading that is about 60 points higher on the BP meter, due to the effect of gravity alone (all else being equal.)

I guess, to run with the ball, one's numbers would show perhaps 10-20 mmHg lower if one is lying on one's side and the upper arm is measured. I think that was actually done to me in the hospital on occasion. That is a consierable percentage difference, especially on the diastolic.

Like I said: THE NEVER NEED TO KNOW DEPARTMENT!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-04-2005 at 07:21 AM.

Closed Thread