It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 130
JustMeInID HB User
Enalapril v. Vasotec

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'd been taking Vasotec for several years, when I had to change my medical insurance provider (another HMO). The new insurer didn't pay for Vasotec and instead I had to get the generic form, enalapril. The first time I took it, I developed a deep-in-the-brain headache. I didn't think about it being the medicine, so I took it again the next day, at which point the headache got worse. It was like a hammer pounding on my pituitary gland. I called my doctor, who said she'd never heard of that happening, but she prescribed Vasotec again. I had no problems with that. A couple of months later, the pharmacy refilled my Vasotec prescription with enalapril again. Although I was hesitant, I took it. The same indescribable headache returned.

Is my body just odd, or has this happened to anybody else?

 
Old 01-03-2005, 05:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,484
Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Enalapril v. Vasotec

JustME,

I'd chalk it up to coincidence. Unless the pharmacist was REALLY sloppy and grabbed the wrong pills, the chance of headache should be the same regardless of how the bottle was labelled.
Headache is a not-uncommon side effect of enalapril.
Was the pharmacist the same for both prescriptions of the generic? Perhaps switch to another for another try with the generic.

I'm sure it's POSSIBLE that you are sensitive to a dye or a filler that might be in one and not the other, but perhaps there is another explanation; like maybe you ran out of meds and missed a few days after the Vasotec and then the sudden remedication and BP drop caused the headache...that's not an uncommon scenario, i.e., a sudden BP drop causing a headache.

My strong feeling is that the only difference in the drugs is the 300-600% markup in the the cost of the brand name.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 130
JustMeInID HB User
Re: Enalapril v. Vasotec

Hi, Lenin. I guess it's a possibility that the pharmacist put the wrong pills in the bottles. Stranger things have happened. I wouldn't think that that would happen twice, though. Don't know if the pharmacist was the same both times. I use a chain pharmacy, and they seem to have somebody new working there every time, so probably not. No, I hadn't run out of Vasotec before I had the enalapril prescription filled, so I hadn't been without my medication. I'm not brave enough for a third go-round with enalapril, though. I've taken other generic medications and have never had a problem. Just with this one.

 
Old 01-04-2005, 03:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Machaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Laud
Posts: 3,997
Blog Entries: 22
Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Enalapril v. Vasotec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeInID
Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'd been taking Vasotec for several years, when I had to change my medical insurance provider (another HMO). The new insurer didn't pay for Vasotec and instead I had to get the generic form, enalapril. The first time I took it, I developed a deep-in-the-brain headache. I didn't think about it being the medicine, so I took it again the next day, at which point the headache got worse. It was like a hammer pounding on my pituitary gland. I called my doctor, who said she'd never heard of that happening, but she prescribed Vasotec again. I had no problems with that. A couple of months later, the pharmacy refilled my Vasotec prescription with enalapril again. Although I was hesitant, I took it. The same indescribable headache returned.

Is my body just odd, or has this happened to anybody else?
Although generics are supposed to be exactly the same as the brand, there are some differences, such as the excipient or other additives, that are used with the drug, and for which you could be allergic or sensitive.

It is common for patients to react differently to different versions of the exact same drug. That is why doctors often mark their prescriptions "medically necessary" for the brand name, instead of the generic.

Last edited by Machaon; 01-04-2005 at 03:47 AM.

 
Old 01-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 130
JustMeInID HB User
Re: Enalapril v. Vasotec

Thanks, Beerzoids. That's what my doctor has done. This situation makes me hesitant to use untried (by me) generics anymore. Thank goodness for insurance.

 
Old 01-05-2005, 05:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,484
Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Enalapril v. Vasotec

That's what the drug companies say too: "Thank God for insurance."

 
Old 01-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: HOUSTON TX
Posts: 637
CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Enalapril v. Vasotec

Hi JustMe,
I had a similar reaction to a generic. I used to take Cardizem and was having good results with no side effects. Changed to a new ins. and they refilled my script with the generic diltiazem. I had a continous headache, not a bad one, but I had it all the time. My doc gave me samples of the Cardizem and a script for "brand name only" . The headace went away. Doc said it sometimes happens with generics. I take other meds in generic form with no problem.
No wonder so many people (me included) are med phobic.
Cass

 
Old 01-05-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 333
Palamedes HB User
Re: Enalapril v. Vasotec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
Hi JustMe,
I had a similar reaction to a generic. I used to take Cardizem and was having good results with no side effects. Changed to a new ins. and they refilled my script with the generic diltiazem. I had a continous headache, not a bad one, but I had it all the time. My doc gave me samples of the Cardizem and a script for "brand name only" . The headace went away. Doc said it sometimes happens with generics. I take other meds in generic form with no problem.
No wonder so many people (me included) are med phobic.
Cass
This is interesting. My Cardizem "experiment" was filled with Cartia XT. And, I had the exact same headache problem. It started about 2 hours after the drug and lasted the entire day. It did control my BP, though. In fact, it was the first drug I tried that actually made a measurable difference. Perhaps the real Cardizem would have been fine? Oh well, it doesn't matter now. My current "experiment", Benicar, is a keeper.

Pal

 
Old 01-05-2005, 09:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Machaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Laud
Posts: 3,997
Blog Entries: 22
Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Enalapril v. Vasotec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
Hi JustMe,
I had a similar reaction to a generic. I used to take Cardizem and was having good results with no side effects. Changed to a new ins. and they refilled my script with the generic diltiazem. I had a continous headache, not a bad one, but I had it all the time. My doc gave me samples of the Cardizem and a script for "brand name only" . The headace went away. Doc said it sometimes happens with generics. I take other meds in generic form with no problem.
No wonder so many people (me included) are med phobic.
Cass
I had a problem with Verapamil. In 2003, my insurance provider switched to a different manufacturer of the generic Verapamil. I started noticing that the Verapamil just wasn't working as well as before, but I thought that I was just becoming resistant to the Verapamil.

In 2004, my insurance provider switched back to the original manufacturer and BOOM, the Verapamil kicked in just as effective as it had done before.

 
Old 01-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: HOUSTON TX
Posts: 637
CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Enalapril v. Vasotec

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
I had a problem with Verapamil. In 2003, my insurance provider switched to a different manufacturer of the generic Verapamil. I started noticing that the Verapamil just wasn't working as well as before, but I thought that I was just becoming resistant to the Verapamil.

In 2004, my insurance provider switched back to the original manufacturer and BOOM, the Verapamil kicked in just as effective as it had done before.
I used to take Verapamil too. I took the brand name Calan. It worked for a few years and all of a sudden it seemd to quit working as well. That was when I was switched to Cardiazem. I wish I could still take either of those CCBs. They both worked good for me.
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 01-05-2005 at 01:01 PM.

 
Old 01-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: HOUSTON TX
Posts: 637
CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Enalapril v. Vasotec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
This is interesting. My Cardizem "experiment" was filled with Cartia XT. And, I had the exact same headache problem. It started about 2 hours after the drug and lasted the entire day. It did control my BP, though. In fact, it was the first drug I tried that actually made a measurable difference. Perhaps the real Cardizem would have been fine? Oh well, it doesn't matter now. My current "experiment", Benicar, is a keeper.

Pal
I'm on BenicarHCT now. I really do love this one (no side effects at all) But my BP is slowly creeping up a little. I'm on the max dose so I don't know what will happen tomorrow when I see the cardio
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 01-05-2005 at 12:59 PM.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Rebound hypertension after I quit ACE inhibitor Enalapril Estehanio High & Low Blood Pressure 1 08-17-2009 09:28 AM
Enalapril (vasotec) Nightmare bethsheba High & Low Blood Pressure 10 02-09-2009 10:38 PM
enalapril for 3 weeks BP 175/85? headaches, toprol withdrawl? Shelby_36 High & Low Blood Pressure 2 02-21-2008 07:33 PM
Question about Enalapril/HCTZ 10-25 Gram4 High & Low Blood Pressure 16 02-06-2008 08:34 AM
Vasotec 10 mg carmen1023 Open to All Other Health Topics 1 11-11-2007 09:57 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!