It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
(female)

ditvkg HB User
Exclamation Diovan Info. needed

Hello to everyone. I'm new to this board and am looking for some words of wisdom regarding Diovan.

I'm a Type 2 diabetic and my pcp just prescribed Diovan 160mg. once a day for my BP which is slowly creeping up, and to protect my kidneys. He originally prescribed Cozaar, but my insurance wouldn't approve it.

I have other health issues going on right now which I'm scheduled to see a neurologist on 2/10 regarding. My main worry right now is that I seem to have become more sensitive to the effects of meds over the last few months.

For example, I used to be able to take 2 or 3 Benadryl for allergies with no problems whatsoever. Now, 1 Benadryl wipes me out. I've read the usual pharmacy printout and drug book info. regarding Diovan, but am really needing some firsthand info. to get a good heads-up regading this med. I know everyone can react differently to meds, but forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give.

Vickie

Old 01-07-2005, 01:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Diovan Info. needed

Vickie,

As you say, everyone reacts differently to various meds (one man's meat...) but I take 160mg Diovan once a day and have excellent BP control with zero side effects. And I mean zero!

I'm surprised your insurance doesn't cover Cozaar which is an older drug in this same class (the angiotensin 2 receptor blockers)...My ins. has cozaar as a "preferred" drug on its formulary list and although Diovan is covered I pay a premium for it!

Is this the first BP med you've ever been prescribed? If so, kudos to your doctor who has given you a med that has the fewest side effects of all the hypertension meds.

I got to Diovan through much trial and error and angst. Other classes of BP meds all lowered my BP well but I experienced adverse reactions on them.

You will find that most people on this board tolerate the ARBs (Diovan, Cozaar, Benicar etc.) very well.

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

I take Diovan 160mg once a day and my bp is under control and I have no noticeable side effects from it. I have heard nothing but good news regarding Diovan.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Hmmm,

Not to be too much of a skeptic here, but do you think it's possible that some of the large pharmaceutical houses BRIBE there way into the formularies.
Gee the guy that decides which drug company is chosen for a large HMO stands to get some pretty nifty Xmas presents...a beachhouse in Marbella perhaps (to OWN not rent!)

Nahhh, that would be unAmerican!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-07-2005 at 07:43 AM.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:39 AM   #5
(female)

ditvkg HB User
Lightbulb Re: Diovan Info. needed

A big THANK YOU to everyone who responded to my post.

This is my first time taking a BP med so I'm a little nervous. I took my first dose tonight so I'll see how things go.

Thanks a bunch!

Vickie

Closed Thread