It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

strong_one HB User
Hydrochlorothiazide - How does this work?

Hi there,

I just took my hydrochlorothiazide about 30 minutes ago. Already went to the bathroom twice. Should I be drinking lots of water with this drug??? And how does it help lower BP? I hope this combo works. My mom is on similar drugs.

Old 01-08-2005, 05:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Hydrochlorothiazide - How does this work?

Drink as much water as you want, but don't force it (it's not Atkins.)

The body holds JUST enough water in it's bloodstream to hold the sodium concentration almost EXACTLY PRECISE. A very slightly too much or too little concentration can rapidly be fatal. So if we eat a lot of sodium, the vascular system will need to hold LOTS of diluting water. All this water in the piping equals high blood pressure.

Unfortunately the kidneys are very good at preserving sodium by pulling it back out of the forming urine by a complicated loop osmosis system (quite wonderfully complicated.) This was an evolutionary advance in a world where sodium was rare. Unfortunately some people are VERY good at preserving sodium and in the current world od SALT EVERYWHERE, evolution's blessing has turned to a curse.

Thiazides interfere with sodium reuptake and out goes the salt. Now the body perceives a dropping concentration and it jettisons an appropriate amount of water to hold the balance precisely with the result of less water and less pressure in our "piping."

Don't deprive yourself of salt while taking HCTZ and make sure to eat lots of potassium foods.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-08-2005 at 05:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
(female)

strong_one HB User

I'm starting to feel the same as I did when I took Avalide. My heartrate is starting to go up. My legs are feeling a bit weak. What am I doing wrong. I've been eating banana's and drinking plenty of water. I have a bit as if I'm walking in a daze.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Girl,

Your potassium levels still may be low in spite of the bananas...

[removed]

If you continue to feel weird/weak, your doctor should do a blood test to evaluate your serum potassium. If it gets too low and upping potassium-rich foods isn't helping, you may need to take potassium supplements.

zuzu xx

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-20-2007 at 11:47 PM.

Old 01-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
(female)

strong_one HB User

I'm doing much better. An advice nurse told me that I should stop taking them if I feel bad. My heart rate has jumped considerably and I am so lethargic and get so tired by doing simple tasks as drying my hair or doing dishes. I took the med yesterday about 3:30 and I think the effects are wearing off already. I'm feeling much better although my BP diastolic number is still a little high. Last took it 5 minutes ago and it is 130/91 pulse 90.

Do you think I might have been starting to get dehyrdated? I can't believe I would react to it this fast.

S

Old 01-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
(female)

strong_one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
Bananas contain a lot of sugar. Depending upon what else you ate, you might be overloading your system with sugar, which could cause some of your symptoms.
I haven't been eating that many bananas. I just supplement my meals with a banana. I'm just so sick of feeling that way. I haven't taken it yet and I'm starting to feel better. Just BP is around the same 127/93.

I hate feeling helpless like this!

Old 01-09-2005, 07:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

girlofsteel,

Try eating something salty like canned soup. Low sodium can make you feel MUCH worse than low potssium.

How much HCTZ did you take? Just from something like daily 25 mg HCTZ it would take SEVERAL days to dehydrate you unless the dehydration was underway before. Sometimes a rapid diuresis can feel like a truck hit us til the body stabilizes.

(There are ways to pinch the skin to readily determine dehydration but it's hard for me to decribe.)

When in doubt, stop the drug!

Old 01-09-2005, 07:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

girlofsteel,

Try eating something salty like canned soup. Low sodium can make you feel MUCH worse than low potssium.

How much HCTZ did you take? Just from something like daily 25 mg HCTZ it would take SEVERAL days to dehydrate you unless the dehydration was underway before. Sometimes a rapid diuresis can feel like a truck hit us til the body stabilizes.

Pinch some loose skin...a dehydrated skin won't immediately flatten out when you release the pinch.

When in doubt, stop the drug!

Old 01-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
(female)

strong_one HB User

I pinched my skin and it hurt and went back! I guess I'm ok. Just don't know why hydrochlorothiazide just doesn't agree with me! My heart rate is just up there! The advice nurse said to not use it and see if my BP goes down without it. She also said some docs don't keep you on this med all the time.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

steely,

Your last sentence jarred my brain. I found that taking thiazide only 2 or three days a week seems to work almost as well as every day. The infrequent pill seems to cause MUCH more diuresis than the every day dosing. (I guess the sodium builds up.)

Last edited by Lenin; 01-10-2005 at 06:19 AM.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Try eating something salty like canned soup.
Do you realize that telling someone with high blood pressure to eat something salty like canned soup can be harmful to them?

Quote:
I found that taking thiazide only 2 or three days a week seems to work almost as well as every day. The infrequent pill seems to cause MUCH more diuresis than the every day dosing. (I guess the sodium builds up.)
Do you realize that what you posted goes against medical knowledge and documentation? You actually believe that taking diuretics LESS OFTEN produce MORE of a diuretic effect? What do you base this on?

Do you want your advice to make people with heart problems better or worse?

Old 01-10-2005, 06:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

I stand by my posts. If they are re-read, perhaps the meaning will be clearer; if not, so be it!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-10-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:32 AM   #13
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I was told by my cardio that taking bp meds every other day could be harmful. I took hctz for four or five yrs. It was too much for me so i started halfing the med.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I stand by my posts. If they are re-read, perhaps the meaning will be clearer; if not, so be it!
On another thread you implied that someone's PVCs made her 240% more at risk of death. You still haven't explained how you came up with that estimate, and you still haven't explained how your estimate applied to her unique heart problems.

On this thread you suggested to someone, with high blood pressure, to significantly increase their salt intake. Whether you stand by it or not, tell me why that is not dangerous advice?

You imply that you are an expert at reading and understanding the PDR, "Physicians' Desk Reference". If you have advanced medical training or medical knowledge, which makes you think that comsuming additional salt is good for high blood pressure, please share that knowledge with the rest of us. I am not too old to learn from someone with your medical knowledge.

Also, on this thread, you advised someone to stop taking a diuretic that was prescribed by a doctor. That might be good advice, I don't know. Do you know her medical history? What do you think would be the effect on her health if she stopped taking the medicine? Do you really know what is causing her symptoms?

Also, on this thread, you gave your expert opinion that taking diuretics LESS OFTEN produce MORE of a diuretic effect. You stand by this opinion, so, as a special favor to me, would you be so kind as to explain how this can be true? This is of particular interest to me because I am on a diuretic.

Last edited by Machaon; 01-10-2005 at 04:48 PM.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu91952
I was told by my cardio that taking bp meds every other day could be harmful. I took hctz for four or five yrs. It was too much for me so i started halfing the med.
What happened to you on the full dose of hctz?

I am on the diuretic Lasix. When I take it every day, it significantly reduces my blood pressure, but it causes me problems, and I am concerned about the risk of diabetes, so I take it every other day.

Closed Thread