It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
(male)

nate28146 HB User
Question puzzled

Hi all!

Today I went to my doctor for my back and my BP was 150/100. I went and got a digital blood pressure monitor at the store and just took my blood pressure. It was 131/73. Any ideas why there was such a difference within 6 hours? My doctor put me on 20mg of benicar. Should I take this? Sideaffects?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: puzzled

Have you been to this doctor before? Does he have a record of repeated high blood pressure readings on you? Did he have you wait 20 minutes or so and take your pressure again?

It is entirely possible to have a high reading in the doctor's office, then a much lower one just a few hours later elsewhere if going to the doctor makes you anxious. It is referred to as "white coat syndrome." (Check out some of the other threads on this board which refer to that.) If you question whether you even need these meds, keep a regular record of your readings at home. Record date, time, BP reading, and "notes." Under notes you might want to keep track of anything special that might have influenced the reading at that time, such as cafeine or salt consumption, anxiety, not feeling well, etc. You probably should have the accuracy of your BP monitor checked against one in the doctor's office first, though. With a good record of home readings, most doctors will take that into consideration in whether or not the person really needs meds or what dosage they might need.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
(female)

strong_one HB User
Red face Re: puzzled

Uff Da...I wonder about that too. I went to the doc today also and had a reading of 180/100. I came home...my disastolic is about the same as the doc but the systolic is around 145 - 150 range.

I honestly think the nurse who took my BP didn't take it right....they do it so fast. Also, I just sat down and she was already cuffing me. The doc didn't even recheck it when she came in.

She added to my 20mg of lisinipril a dose a day of hydrochlorothiazide (25mg) to see if this brings it down. She also ordered an echocardiogram along with a renal mra.

Don't know what's going on again!

Old 01-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

The readings in the doctor's office are just a drop in the bucket compared to what your blood pressure really is day in and day out. Not every doctor takes the patient's record as seriously as mine does, but it was actually me who went to my doctor and told her I thought I needed blood pressure meds originally. I already had a monitor at home in caring for my husband, and I knew that with the stress I was under at the time (caring for him 24/7 after his stroke plus a lot of other problems), the chances were high that my pressure would be up. So I kept a good record for several weeks before I took it to her. With that record she put me on meds right away.

Then several months after my husband's death four years later, the stress subsided, so I again kept a good record. In fact, I actually started gradually reducing the amount of BP medicine. When it looked like I was maintaining a decent pressure at one-third of the previous amount of meds, I took the record back to the doc and she changed the prescription. When you go in with pages of records, they are fools if they don't pay attention to it.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate28146
Hi all!

Today I went to my doctor for my back and my BP was 150/100. I went and got a digital blood pressure monitor at the store and just took my blood pressure. It was 131/73. Any ideas why there was such a difference within 6 hours? My doctor put me on 20mg of benicar. Should I take this? Sideaffects?

Thanks!
Those variations are fairly typical. The 150/100 reading is high. A single reading of 131/73 really doesn't tell you much. As others have suggested, I'd monitor it for a while and make a decision. I had many readings at home similar to yours. I also recorded readings like 143/91. I averaged around 135/85. My doctor had readings of 150/90 & 160/100. Ultimately, I decided it might be benificial to try meds. But, I wasn't willing to put up with side-effects.

As far as Benicar is concerned... It's not fair. Most of us have to go through 5+ experiments before we get to the ARB class. I'm currently on Benicar 20 mg. I've had no negative side-effects. My exercise performance is improved. And, my BP now averages around 115/65. So far, I am very happy with Benicar.

Pal

Old 01-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
(male)

nate28146 HB User

Thanks for all the replies. My doctor didnt even notice my reading was that high until I pointed it out to her... I had my wife check my BP (she is a MA) and the digital monitor is very accurate. I will keep records for the next 2 weeks and bring it back with them. I also talked to my phchologist about this today and he seems to think that it may be stress that is causing my rise of BP.(i currently take buspar and lexipro) He also said pain and discomfort can elevate it. (i did go to the doctor for back pain) I will keep a good record and take it from there.
Thanks!

Old 01-10-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I throw out the doctors readings. They are garbage imo. I have white-coat only at the doctor. B/P averaging 112/66. At the doc., it will be 156/86 no matter what I do.

Closed Thread