It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
(female)

Nermal1975 HB User
A simple question

OK, everything I've read about blood pressure is this: the reading to go by is when you're at rest. Right? In my monitor's manual, it says to sit in a relaxed position for about 10 minutes (not having just eaten anything, drank caffeine, used tobacco products, etc.) Right? Well then what about your blood pressure when you're driving or coming out of a store or exercising? That's going to be elevated. That's OK?

Michelle

Old 01-07-2005, 11:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: A simple question

Yes, it is expected that when you are doing things that the pressure will be higher, and that is usually okay. The doctors need to be able to compare apples with apples as closely as possible, though. So they have chosen "resting" as the point of reference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Well then why is it they want to take your bp right after your drove their in crazy traffic usually and then they weigh you and then take your bp? I know I am never at rest in the doctors office. I really do believe alot of us are over medicated and should not really be on meds that is why it is crucial to get a good monitor and take it at home several times of the day before you let any doctor put you on meds..Lisa

Old 01-08-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Usually my drs make me sit for ten or more mins. b4 doing a bp check. Also the dr will check it again b4 i leave.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
(female)

strong_one HB User

i just got off the phone with an urgent care advice nurse. She told me she couldn't believe she went by just the nurses assistant took of my BP. She took it at 180/100 and did it really fast. She didn't even take my pulse.

My doc right away said my BP was on the rise again...ordered some more tests AGAIN and put me on another diuretic which is now causing my heart to race just like it did with the other med my doc took me off of. The advice nurse was more understanding and told me I should just stop if I'm feeling that way again.

I can't believe our medical system anymore!!!

Old 01-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie75
Well then why is it they want to take your bp right after your drove their in crazy traffic usually and then they weigh you and then take your bp? I know I am never at rest in the doctors office. I really do believe alot of us are over medicated and should not really be on meds that is why it is crucial to get a good monitor and take it at home several times of the day before you let any doctor put you on meds..Lisa
You mean anyone in this country gets right in at the appointment time? When my husband was living, he invariably had to wait in the waiting room about an hour and a half before being called for his appointment. My doctor isn't quite that bad, but it is usually at least half an hour and has been up to two hours. Of course, since I react to stress, then my blood pressure might be up because waiting stresses me.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Yeah, so your damned if you do and damned if you don't..That scale thing gets my bp up everytime. See I don't do scales I do inches and bodyfat % so to measure someone by lbs is so archaeic in my world and it makes my blood boil. I have gotten it to a science now. I tell the scale pitt bull I don't do scales and she finally left me alone.. Lisa

Old 01-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

I am with you Moxie. The "scale Nazi" in my GP's office now knows to leave me alone also.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It's the great paradox that bangs us over the head every time our BP's are measured. The one number that is important and the ONLY number the doctor will never know is our RELAXED BP!

Old 01-10-2005, 06:58 AM   #10
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I couldn't agree more. Drive 30 minutes in traffic to the doctor. Sit in the waiting room for 30 minutes, have your weight taken, sit for another 15-20 minutes in one of the rooms & your b/p is supposed to be what it normally is... yeah riiiiiight. Docs offices are one of the worst places to get an accurate reading of B/P imo. You would be better off running 3 miles & then taking it (sarcasm). It just seems that they want to have more & more people medicated & over-medicated then need to be. My Mom who is 62 looks 40 had 150/100 the last time that she was at the doc. The doc. wanted to put her on meds., but she refused. I don't blame her. She took it 2 hours later & it was 130/72. I praise my Mom for not taking the script. Wish that I never did.

Closed Thread