It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Replacement Cuffs?

Has anyone succeeded in getting a replacement cuff for his BP monitor? Back when these testers were a novel ideal, I think they had microphones built into the cuff to hear the beats...and a plugged wire followed the hose to transmit the electrical signal.
The new ones seem to have all the guts of the monitoring in the unit itself and the cuff is just an airbag.
The velcro on my cuff is beginning to wear and to pop occasionally on inflation above 160 (during SPIKEY periods ) and I can prevent it by having the fold on the botttom of my arm and my arm lying lightly on a pillow: The slight pressure is just enough to keep the Velcro closure CLOSED!

Since all the hoses seem a similar diameter, I would think an all-purpose generic cuff would be a very handy maintenence replacement item. I mean why throw out the computer when the porinter runs out of paper? (Or like the old saw: "I got a new car because the ashtrays were full on my old one!")

Has anyone seen anything?

Last edited by Lenin; 01-10-2005 at 06:07 AM.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:49 PM   #2

mrmojo HB User
Re: Replacement Cuffs?

i know you can get them for the omron testers

i had to get a larger cuff when i got mine as my bicep is larger than normal

on their web site they have a link to 2 companies that are dealers for their spare parts

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 06:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks mojo,

I'll have a look for a Lumiscope supplier.
(Oh, and I corrected my typo where I said the teflon had worn out...It's the VELCRO that's on its last legs.)

Old 01-10-2005, 07:15 AM   #4

mrmojo HB User

Hey Lenin - a cuff is a cuff, all the sensors are in the machine itself, so if the hose diameter is the same it should work

my large cuff is made way differently than the small one that came with the machine but it works fine

Old 01-10-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Good point, thank you,

Of course I could get ANY manufacturers cuff. I have adapters lying around so I could even cope with different diameter hoses.
Nut's... if only I hadn't thrown out my old mercury sphig when the third rubber ball pump fell to pieces and I got tired of needing three hands to test.
The cuff was in FINE shape, but then the old SEARS electronic that I had, had the microphone cuff and I never dreamed that technology would be gone soon.

I just thought of a nurse I know...hmmm, maybe something from her doctors waste bin. But then alas, I think of MY doctor who got the sphig from HIS predecessor, who got the sphig...from Hippocrrates, I believe!

I just researched LARGE CUFFS and I found that adults with 13-17" arms should get the Large. Goodness, I have 16 inch arms so I guess I should get a big one (unless that's what I have already???) Probably not, because on reading the post talking about leg pressure I tried my thigh...hah! All I could get round was my ankle.

edit: Oops on the mercury sphig, of course that had one hose too many!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-10-2005 at 12:25 PM.

Closed Thread