It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
(male)

xpac HB User
I need a home blood pressure monitor, suggestions?

I want to buy a blood pressure monitor for my home, however it seems as though most of the ones I see on the market are for people with "small" to "average" arm circumference. My arms are significantly larger, as I am a bodybuilder and have been working out for over half my life (I'm 30 now, about the same age as my father was when he was diagnosed with hypertension). So I'm wondering if anyone who has larger arms and owns a blood pressure monitor can give me any suggestions on a model? The main problem is if I use a cuff that is too small it gives off a false reading, I've been using a "big person" cuff at the doctor's office since I was about 19 - 20 years old. Price isn't my main concern, I want a digital monitor that auto-inflates and can give me a fairly accurate reading, and can compensate for a larger than average arm, just wondering if there are preferred models.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: I need a home blood pressure monitor, suggestions?

xpac,

Slide down a little and read the post called REPACEMENT CUFFS. There's a little discussion there. We aren't allowed to post commercial sites but if just search the term you'll find many sources. I was a little glum at the prices but that's life. I'm going to order a larger cuff too as long as I'm at it.

Make sure you order a one hose (auto-inflate) or a two hose (hand pump )

Last edited by Lenin; 01-10-2005 at 12:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

I'd recommend the Omron HEM-780 or the ReliOn HEM-780REL (from Walmart). They are the same model. But, the Walmart one is much cheaper. It comes with a highly adjustable cuff that can fit pretty much anybody - no need to buy a large cuff.

Pal

Old 01-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #4

mrmojo HB User

I have the omron hem-711, the omron (and reliOn) standard cuff only goes up to 13", i had problems with occasional wacky readings until i ordered the large cuff online (plus i couldnt hardly get it on)

i still take at least 2 or 3 readings a couple of minutes apart, occasionaly there is a "off" reading (usually the first one) & i throw those out, then i average the rest

Old 01-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
(male)

tattooyu HB User

I may get some flack for this, but...

Honestly, I swear by my old school, manual (anaeroid, glass dial gauge) BP monitor. The only thing you should do is make sure you take it to your doctor, so they can show you how to use it and also to make sure it's accurate against their mercury ones. They make them in a large cuff, which I use as well for my chubby arms.

They are fairly cheap (~$40) at pharmacy outlets and very accurate (if read accurately).

Old 10-31-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
(male)

Normsthename HB User

Quote:
Honestly, I swear by my old school, manual (anaeroid, glass dial gauge) BP monitor
I went shopping for an automatic blood pressure monitor today, but they were all sold out, and I ended buying a manual BP monitor like you have.
I am having trouble finding the pulse at the elbow joint, and cannot hear it thru' the stethoscope, but when I get it right it seems to be very accurate, have you any tips on using the monitor?

Andy

Old 10-31-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I have a ReliOn 741CREL from Wal-Mart. (It is made by Omron.) I wouldn't recommend it. Though it seems to get reliable readings at the lower pressures, when my pressure would go up with systolic in the 150s or 160s, I'd get an error message about half the time. There were times my pressure apparently stayed up and I couldn't get a reading.

I then bought an Omron HEM-711, and believe the readings to be usually accurate. I have a different problem than many of those posting. The normal cuff goes from 9 to 13 inches. The child's size goes up to 9 inches. My arm is right around 9 inches. There are times I think I may get a fluky reading because the cuff may not be adjusted just right for my arm. But I also have a very volatile BP, so I don't really know if the reading is a fluke or if the problem is my ever-changing BP.

Closed Thread