It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
(female)

Brenygirl HB User
Just diagnosed Questions

I am new to this board. Just diagnosed a bit over a week ago with high blood pressure. I am 39. It seems my blood pressure went up after my hysterectomy in Sept of 04. Before that it was borer line which is normal for me only when I went to the doc. Anyway I have been off work since the hyst. I have chronic pain from bulging disc in neck/back. Just had capel tunnel surgery a week ago. The Doc prescribed Benicar for me a week ago & my insurance company wants him to fill out some paperwork before they will authorize it. Well the pharmacy & hubby & I keep calling the doc for the paperwork & it still is not done. I am trying to be patient because I know the doc has been unusually busy bu tit is starting to scare me that this is taking so long.
My surgery last week was almost cancelled because my blood pressure was so high. I had a terrible migrain the day before & the day of. Nurse said the blood pressure could be high because of the migrain or that the mgrain could be caused from the blood pressure being so high. I can feel it get high at times. Has anyone experieced this?

Also my doc thinks it may be from the chronic pain. Does anyone have any infoon this?

How long should I wait before I really cause heck at the docs so that he gets this paper filled out?

Sorry for the typing hand still in a cast from the surgery. Thanx for any info anyone can give me. I feel like such a mess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User
Re: Just diagnosed Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenygirl
The Doc prescribed Benicar for me a week ago & my insurance company wants him to fill out some paperwork before they will authorize it.
This may be a form where the doctor has to state the you could not tolerate an ACE inhibitor. Many insurance companies require a trial with an ACE inhibitor before they will approve an ARB.
Quote:
Nurse said the blood pressure could be high because of the migrain or that the mgrain could be caused from the blood pressure being so high. I can feel it get high at times. Has anyone experieced this?
Chicken or egg. It's hard to say really which one is causing which. I guess you could try treating your migraine with something like Imitrex. What amazes me is that insurance companies are picky about something that isn't all THAT expensive, like Benicar. And, yet, they will approve Imitrex scripts (which costs almost $200 for 9 pills ) without question.
Quote:
Also my doc thinks it may be from the chronic pain. Does anyone have any infoon this?
Yep, pain can cause high BP.
Quote:
How long should I wait before I really cause heck at the docs so that he gets this paper filled out?
I'd be bugging him every single day.

Pal

Old 01-11-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Give some thought to a trial with beta blockers. I like when a drug performs two functions and very often a beta-blocker is good prophyaxis for migraines.
If they don't work well or cause too much exhaustion, well then nothing lost by trying.

Does your insurance company like ANOTHER ARB better? Give them a call and maybe Cozaar or Diovan is a "preferred" drug in their formulary. Very often an HMO will have one or two that they expect to handle in bulk and you have to go through hoops to get a different one. These "sartan" drugs aren't very differnt one from the other.

Your doctor's behavior is appalling, yet oh so common.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-11-2005 at 07:04 AM.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

These "sartan" drugs aren't very differnt one from the other.

Sorrry, I don't agree. I have taken 3 of the others with good control for several hours then no control for the better part of the rest of the day. I know some get complete control but most don't. Only Benicar has been proven to last for 24 hours.
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 01-11-2005 at 11:58 AM.

Closed Thread