It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
(male)

frank619 HB User
Has anyone dropped Diovan and done alright?

I stopped taking Pravachol a few weeks ago after reading all the horror stories about it on the web and in the recent stories on statins. I haven't told my doctor yet, but I know what he is going to say anyway. At this point, I don't even care. But I have not read anything really bad about Diovan's side effects--which I am also taking. I just hate medicine I guess. Part of the problem is that I have changed almost all my eating habits to healthier ones and exercised regularly for 3 years now and I am still about the same with the medicine. I am about 20 pounds overweight but I can't seem to lose weight no matter how much I run and cut my calories and fat intake. My blood pressure is about 124/87 but I do not want to be on any medicine permanently. All my doctors seem to be medicine obssessed. They don't seem to understand that not all of us want to be prisoners to them. Any suggestions out there? Has anyone just dumped all of this stuff and done alright without them? I am starting to think that I can't trust any doctors out there...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 05:10 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Has anyone dropped Diovan and done alright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank619
I stopped taking Pravachol a few weeks ago after reading all the horror stories about it on the web and in the recent stories on statins. I haven't told my doctor yet, but I know what he is going to say anyway. At this point, I don't even care. But I have not read anything really bad about Diovan's side effects--which I am also taking. I just hate medicine I guess. Part of the problem is that I have changed almost all my eating habits to healthier ones and exercised regularly for 3 years now and I am still about the same with the medicine. I am about 20 pounds overweight but I can't seem to lose weight no matter how much I run and cut my calories and fat intake. My blood pressure is about 124/87 but I do not want to be on any medicine permanently. All my doctors seem to be medicine obssessed. They don't seem to understand that not all of us want to be prisoners to them. Any suggestions out there? Has anyone just dumped all of this stuff and done alright without them? I am starting to think that I can't trust any doctors out there...
Frank,

you sound exactly me and alot of other people on this board. I have tried many times to drop it all in fact I am doing that right now but did not want to let my fellow board members know until I have results after 2 weeks of doing this.

The other day I accidentally took 2 diovan and I did this 2 times in the course of a week. I am an athlete and eat healthy and cannot drop these 2 sizes that I have gained from being on diovan. I have upped my cardio from 5 miles to 8-10 miles a week. I also weight train 5-6 days a week.

My husband keeps insisting that I do not have have high BP and that I have white coat and that I should not take any of their meds. I decided to try this again and see if he is right. I have been monitoring my BP now for the last 2 days without meds and it is normal and even low normal (118/75) but I think the true test will be after 2 weeks as the meds stay with you for about that long. I am the real life guinea pig on this board as many can attest to I have tried so many things. I will keep everyone posted as to my results but I beleive like you that you should try every single thing you can think of before accepting the meds and the crap that goes with it..Good Luck, Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Frank, good luck in trying to get of the meds. My cardio gave me a script for pravigard(pravachol & asprin) but i won't take it. She finally gave me a script for niaspan, but im afraid to take that also. Alot of these bp meds can cause other diseases, so you're right to be concerned.

Some on this board use diovan without side effects. I've not personally tried diovan, but i've tried ace inh., arbs, beta blocker and ccbs. I've even tried diuretics. Some caused me great problems w/ horrendous side effects and other caused no side effects and no reduction in bp.

If you discover a way to lower your bp w/o meds, please post it on this board. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2005, 11:29 AM   #4

mrmojo HB User

frank - are you on straight diovan or is it combined with a diuretic?

I gained a lot of weight on benicar with hctz, a lot of it has come off since i quit taking it

my mother is on diovan with hctz & she gained weight but there are a lot of other problems in her case

from some of the discusions here it seems like the hctz can cause weight gain in a lot of people

Old 01-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

iRC aDiKz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank619
I stopped taking diovan last year (Oct. 2004) and im doing fine,i dont know why, may be because of the exercise and the water therapy, my blood pressure is 124/84 without the medicine, i hate medicines, the only medicine im taking now is the gliphizide for my diabetes, my blood sugar is normal too, 84, the highest is 140, without diovan im doing great, sometimes my blood sugar is 115/74 i dont know if that is low or normal, sometimes it is 105/75. Just exercise everyday i work-out from 4:00am to 7:00am.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRC aDiKz
I stopped taking diovan last year (Oct. 2004) and im doing fine,i dont know why, may be because of the exercise and the water therapy, my blood pressure is 124/84 without the medicine, i hate medicines, the only medicine im taking now is the gliphizide for my diabetes, my blood sugar is normal too, 84, the highest is 140, without diovan im doing great, sometimes my blood sugar is 115/74 i dont know if that is low or normal, sometimes it is 105/75. Just exercise everyday i work-out from 4:00am to 7:00am.
Good for you that is great. The workouts though are 3 hours long? I hope you bring meals with that amount of time. Even professional body builders don't work out for 3 hours straight...Lisa

Old 01-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
(male)

frank619 HB User

Thanks for all the comments on this--they have calmed me down a lot. I am kind of paranoid, specially when these doctors say that you can get a stroke if you drop the medicines. That scares the heck out of me. But little by little I am starting to think that a lot of this is just a big put on and someone is just making money off of us. I guess, if I had really bad BP or if heart attacks ran in my family, I would be more willing to follow their advice. After all, they are the experts. But sometimes I ask them if it could be all the water I drink--I have heard that this might be what is causing the HBP since my kidneys are overworked. Or even food allergies... sometimes I eat stuff and my chest and neck feels real tight. So now I rarely eat cucumber or drink milk. My docs just say "keep taking the meds"!!

Someone asked about what else I was taking and and my 160 Diovan also has HCT 12.5 in there.

When I ask my doctor to lower the medicines or how about taking me off of them slowly, he looks at me like I am crazy. Then he tells me I should lower my cholesterol more, but I've heard that you can get strokes if your cholesterol level is too low. Does anyone have experience with this?

Wow. I am really glad I found y'all. Now I don't feel like I'm the only one questioning the doctors. I do feel bad about it, but it is my body, and I am afraid that a few years from now they are going to pull a stunt like they did with ViOXX and then say "oops, sorry, nobody was keeping an eye on them". Thanks again for all the comments.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

frank, if you haven't already done so, you might want to give your cholesterol numbers before and after you started taking the Pravachol on the high cholesterol board and get opinions there. And also indicate what you are doing to get your numbers down without the medication.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #9
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Frank, hctz CAN increase glucose & CHOLESTEROL levels. I know this first hand, it happened to me.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #10

mrmojo HB User

frank - i havnt had an official test since i quit the benicar hctz, but my cholesterol was up after i started the hctz

its probably down now, but ive been to cheap to get a test, i figure if ive lost 25 lb in 6 weeeks after going off benicar w/hctz my cholesterol probably went down

Old 01-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Frank, Lisa,

I stopped my Cozaar and thiazide yesterday morning and I'll stay off at least 6 weeks monitoring and recording several times a day.
As Miss Jean Brodie was fond of saying; "We shall see what we shall see!" (Gotta watch that movie again.)

I absolutely HATE each and every BP medication with a passion, and I think push may have finally come to shove. It's been 25 years of mixed aggravation.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:09 AM   #12
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

IRC,

What are you training for a triathalon? I am an avid gym rat and I am never in there that long. God bless you!! Also I heard that if you have high BP those saunas are a no no.

Lenin,

It has been since Monday that I have not taken my diovan hct and my zetia. So far my BP is normal but a few days are not test enough. I get my blood work done 3/1/05 so we shall see what the cholesterol is off of the meds. As for the BP if it goes up while doing this test I will have to go back on them. Why are you waiting 6 weeks? Lisa

Old 01-14-2005, 05:18 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Lisa,

It takes some time for these drugs to be entirely out of our systems, and a probably MUCH, MUCH longer time for our bodies to rebound back out of the feedback loops that have developed to work around the drugs.
For example Lisa, don't panic if your water retention and BP surges in the next 4 or 5 days...it's a natural response to extra renin you've got to counteract the thiazide. Wait it out, it will abate in a week. (I should probably put my HCTZ in the safety deposit bank...not really joking here!)

To counteract the angiotensin-2 blocker (Diovan) you are probably making more chymase and renin to try to make and force more and more angiotensin-2 into the blocked receptors. Maybe oven time youve even grown new receptors, who knows?

Anyhoo, stasis will take some considerable time to achieve...this time I won't cave-in til a fair time for evaluation has gone by.

(I have zero problem with my Lipitor, and am continuing it. It and my allopurinol are the only 2 GOOD drugs I take.)

Last edited by Lenin; 01-14-2005 at 05:23 AM.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:43 AM   #14
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Lenin,

That is exactly what is happening to me. My hands are swollen and so is my face. I almost popped an HCTZ..I have those in the cabinet too just for water retention. Thanks for the info good stuff.

IRC,

Sorry if you think I was getting on you that is not the case. I think 3 hours is alot of time to be in the gym but as you said you are resting up to 4 mintues between sets/excercises and you are doing the sauna thing as well. In fact, my thoughts are the complete opposite. Anyone who is the gym at all is to be commended. However, there is a point of where the body goes into the "overtraining" mode. Most fitness instructors say not to go past 90 minutes of any training because all of your glycogen is gone and your muscles begin to waste hence me asking if you brought your meals with you. As for the sauna I said I HEARD that it is not good for high BP I did not say that I knew for a fact that were the case. Obviously it is not the case for you. Peace I meant no harm..Lisa

Old 01-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie75
As for the sauna I said I HEARD that it is not good for high BP
Actually, saunas and hot tubs lower blood pressure.

Pal

Closed Thread