It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Lightbulb Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?

I self-diagnosed myself as being insulin resistant on Dec 11, 2004. The clues were there. For many years, my morning blood pressure would start at a reasonable level around 120/80, and then "gradually" increase all day long until around 5-6pm. Then, unlike normal hypertensives, my blood pressure would really start to climb until it got to around 180/115 and would remain at that level, or higher, throughout the night. Also, I was having problems with difficulty breathing, and with an erratic heartbeat, frequently made worse after consuming foods with carbs. My heart failure was getting worse and I was suffering daily with increased chest pains, fatigue, sweating, difficulty concentrating, racing heart, all of which got worse after consuming foods high in carbohydrates. I just could not get my blood pressure under control no matter how many herbs, meds, vitamins or minerals that I took.

I convinced myself to, at least, attempt to follow an Insulin Resistant diet, not really thinking that it would really work. So...... with the help of my tireless, understanding wife, on Dec 11th, 2004 I started on a high fiber diet to target Insulin Resistance. I started eating small meals, five times per day, 1/2 cup of fiber, 1/2 cup of a proper veggy, with a few variations.

Since then, I've noticed some improvements in my energy level, and in just feeling better. My blood pressure also was coming down a little, day by day. I've also lost quite few pounds.

It took about three weeks of this insulin resistant diet before my evening blood pressure started to also get lower, and I started feeling better. I am hoping that I will also experience some relief from all of the nasty symptoms of my heart disease.

It is too early to assess the the total effect of the Insulin Resistant Diet on my blood pressure, and on my other nasty symptoms, but I like the results so far, even though my "average" blood pressure is still too high.

I've taken about 15,000 BP readings over seven years, and I have never had a trend towards lowered blood pressure like I am getting now. Taking the 15,000 readings, entering them into my computer, and studying the results and charts from the data, helped me to improve my "average" blood pressure, and reduce the frequency of dangerously high readings, but, prior to this diet, I hadn't been able to get my average blood pressure consistantly going down, and my heart disease and health continued to deteriorate.

I am just hoping that the trend towards lower blood pressure continues, and that I continue to experience improvements in my heart failure, as I, not only, continue the diet, but also continue to make other effective changes. During my twenty year battle against Heart Failure, I have discovered many "ordinary" things that cause nasty increases in blood pressure and cause the heart to race, or skip beats, or beat more forcefully or too beat too weakly, or beat too slow, etc. If those "ordinary" things are not avoided, then the "average" blood pressure will be at a worse level, and the heart will suffer from unhealthy and serious rhythm problems, and the heart failure will get progressively worse, regardless of the quality of diet, and regardless of blood pressure medications!

Any comments? Anyone, with significant heart disease and with chronically high blood pressure, experience improvement to their blood pressure, or from their other health problems, from an Insulin Resistant diet?

Last edited by Machaon; 07-07-2006 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Clarified.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Zeek Hattingh (05-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?

Beerzoids,
As we have discussed before, My BP acts a lot like yours. Could you elaborate on this diet as to the things you eat at different times.
I eat a lot of carbs (my favorite foods) and have struggled with hypoglycemia
if my weight goes up. I don't know much about "insulin resistance" but maybe this diet would help me too?
Thanks in advance,
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 01-14-2005 at 10:30 AM.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
Could you elaborate on this diet as to the things you eat at different times.
It would be my pleasure!

It is not easy. I am supposed to eat six servings per day, but I can only make about five.

For breakfast, I have one egg, about 1/2 cup of high fiber cereal, like Barbara's Grainshop, or *****'s GO LEAN, in Coffee Rich, which is a non dairy milk substitute, with 1/4 apple and 1/2 100% whole wheat toast.

For the other 4-5 meals I have 1/2 cup of 100% whole grain and 1/2 cup of either salad or green beans.

For these other meals, I have either 1/2 cup of high fiber cereal, or a piece of 100% whole wheat toast, or 1/2 cup of Mueller's reduced carb pasta, or 1/2 cup of whole grain brown rice. My wife makes great, low salt, low carb casseroles which I use in small quantities with the rice or the pasta.

I also use *****'s Breakfast Pilaf, which contains seven whole grains, and which I can use on a salad, with the green beans, or instead of the pasta or the rice.

I have three servings of 1/4th apple per day, if I can. I also eat 1/4 cup of almonds, once or more, per day, as a snack, and...... absolutely no other snacking. I make sure that I eat the almonds at least an hour away from my meals.

For a drink (and you are not going to like this), I have a little key lime in ice water without any sweetener.

It is difficult to eat 5-6 times per day.

Quote:
I eat a lot of carbs (my favorite foods) and have struggled with hypoglycemia if my weight goes up. I don't know much about "insulin resistance" but maybe this diet would help me too?
Thanks in advance,
Cass
I have read that there are estimates that ONE in FOUR Americans are Insulin Resistant. That is 25% of the American population. One of the causes comes from overloading one's system, day after day, with the wrong type of carbohydrates, and with too much of these carbohydrates. In other words, eating a large meal, which overloads one's digestive system with too many carbs at one time, causing the pancreas to work overtime.

I think that time will show that Insulin Resistance is a significant cause of high blood pressure and other health problems. The correct type of carbs is 100% whole grain, which means either whole grain wheat, oats, rye, barley, corn, rice, or millet.

I've found that the worst carb is potato, especially white potato. I have read that it is far worse, for blood glucose, to eat one cup of mashed potato than to eat one cup of sugar.

I got the idea for the diet from the following UCLA Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center, 2002 article about insulin resistance and diet:

[url]http://www.snac.ucla.edu/pages/Resources/Handouts/HODiabetesandInsulinResistance.pdf[/url]

Last edited by Machaon; 05-25-2006 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Corrected to say 100% whole grain.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I am diabetic and have been eating high fiber low fat for a couple of yrs. I work with a dietician. My bp still doesn't go down to where it should be 130/70ish. This is with 3 bp meds.

Old 01-15-2005, 04:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu91952
I am diabetic and have been eating high fiber low fat for a couple of yrs. I work with a dietician. My bp still doesn't go down to where it should be 130/70ish. This is with 3 bp meds.
Sorry to hear that the high fiber, frequent feedings, do not lower your blood pressure. It is very frustrating when you do all the right things, and still struggle with high blood pressure and heart rhythm problems. What kind of a range do you usually get for your blood pressure readings?

I thought that I would never get my blood pressure down. I especially hated those high peaks at night, where my blood pressure would get up towards 175/115.

Since I've gone on the frequent feeding, high fiber, small portion diet, those high peaks don't happen any more. In fact, my readings at night are much lower. I've also been able to cut back on my heart meds. Time will tell the net effects of the diet on myself. Insulin Resistance is supposed to be reversible, but I don't know how long it takes, if indeed I am doing the right things.

As you have pointed out, what works for one, doesn't always work for someone else.

Old 01-15-2005, 04:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Beerzoids,
As we have discussed before, My BP acts a lot like yours. Could you elaborate on this diet as to the things you eat at different times.
I sense that the frequent feeding, high fiber diet, would be difficult to do, and a little overwhelming for you. You would be right. It is a very difficult diet.

Lately, there has been a lot of news about fiber. General Foods has just announced that it is now puting whole grains into all of it's cereals. I hope that they are doing it right, and having the main ingredient in their cereals as whole grain, and not just a small portion.

As medical research determines more about the importance of whole grains, there will be even more news and more announcements, and more changes by our food companies, to take advantage of whole grains.

There are some changes you could try. Use only 100% whole grain breads, like 100% whole wheat or 100% whole rye. If you eat cereal, eat a 100% whole grain cereal like Barbara's Grainshop, or Kashi's GO LEAN, or any other comparable cereal. If you eat pasta, use Mueller's reduced carb pasta. If you get hungry later in the day, eat a bowl of whole grain cereal and a salad. This isn't the same thing as a frequent feeding, small portion, "Insulin Resistant" diet, but it would still take advantage of the health benefits of whole grain.

Last edited by Machaon; 08-02-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well.... here I am eating my 3rd meal of the day at 1pm EST.

For breakfast I had about 1/2 cup, maybe less, of whole grain cereal in coffee rich, 1/2 whole wheat toast, one hard boiled egg, and 1/4 small apple.

For the 2nd meal, I had about 1/2 cup of low carb spaghetti with a small amount of low-salt, home made sauce, with 1/4th meatball, a small salad with a little low carb dressing with some ***** 7 whole grain Pilaf sprinkled on it and another 1/4th small apple.

For this meal, I am having about 1/4 unbreaded chicken breast, a small salad with some Pilaf sprinkled on it, and 1/2 cup of whole grain cereal in coffee rich.

I am drinking ice water with some unsweetened key lime in it. I figure, if I learned to love the bitter taste of beer, I can learn to love the bitter taste of this drink.

My blood pressure has been significantly improving over the past few weeks. I am hoping that my blood pressure continues to improve as my body recovers and reverses the Insulin Resistance. I have more energy, and I just feel much better.

Only three more small meals to go.

Last edited by Machaon; 05-25-2006 at 05:50 AM.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Beerzoids,

Thanks for the info on the diet. Sorry I took so long to get back to you but I'v been thinking of ways that I could ease into this diet. I know from past experence that if I just jump into a new eating regime I am doomed.

I already eat whole grain bread and I like most veggies. It will be the preparation of the food that will probably have to change, also portions will have to decrease. All these things will not be the problem. But protein will be. I detest chicken, turkey, and fish. The only meat I eat is beef, usually in the form of a cheeseburger The last and worst is sugar. If a person can get addicted to it I AM. Never was fond of alcohol and quit smoking 20 years ago but WOW do I love icecream!!!!

Anyway thanks for the info. I know that diet would be good for me. Hope I have the willpower you have to do it.

One more thing, what does the unsweetened limeade do?

Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 01-18-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Beerzoids,

Thanks for the info on the diet. Sorry I took so long to get back to you but I'v been thinking of ways that I could ease into this diet. I know from past experence that if I just jump into a new eating regime I am doomed.
I'm excited that you are going to try it. Whatever way that is best for you to ease into it, sounds best to me!

Insulin resistance, or Metabolic Syndrome, or Syndrome X, is a recently understood health problem that is going to cause major changes to people's health throughout the world. There are many, many health problems connected with insulin resistance, and almost everyone might have some form of it, no matter how young.

The worse it gets, the worse the symptoms.

Quote:
I already eat whole grain bread and I like most veggies. It will be the preparation of the food that will probably have to change, also portions will have to decrease. All these things will not be the problem.
Sounds like you are off to a good start!

Quote:
But protein will be. I detest chicken, turkey, and fish. The only meat I eat is beef, usually in the form of a cheeseburger
Well...... you can still do your cheeseburger. The basis of the diet is 1/2 cup of fiber and 1/2 cup of veggies, 6 times per day. With..... about 1/4 apple, or some other fruit, three times per day. You can also include a small portion of meat with each meal.

For instance, you could make a cheeseburger with low fat, low salt Alpine Lace swiss cheese, with a dash of ketchup, and some lettuce, on whole wheat bread, cut it into four pieces, and that would be good for four meals worth of whole grain. Include a salad with a little ***** whole grain Pilaf, or some green beans or some brocolli with that, and you have a "somewhat" tasty and balanced meal.

Once in a while you could throw in 1/4 cup of salt free almonds for a snack. Almonds, of all nuts, are supposed to be low allergenic, and have some very healthy properties.

Quote:
The last and worst is sugar. If a person can get addicted to it I AM.
You in big heaps of trouble with that one!

Quote:
Never was fond of alcohol and quit smoking 20 years ago but WOW do I love icecream!!!!
I am not an expert at this, since I've only being doing an "insulin resistant" diet for about nine weeks. But, a small serving of ice cream, like about 1/4 cup, might be OK, once per day.

You will be surprised how soon you get adjusted to small servings, especially since you are eating frequently. After nine weeks of eating about every 2.5-3 hours, it is getting to be a lot of work, and it is difficult to finish the small servings.

Quote:
Anyway thanks for the info. I know that diet would be good for me. Hope I have the willpower you have to do it.
If you see positive results, then you might have more ambition to stay with the diet. I lost about 10% of my weight after about a month on the diet. My pot belly has been reduced by about 50%, and it is still shrinking. I am on the last hole of my belt, and even though I am not losing any more weight, my middle is getting smaller.

Update: I've had to buy a new belt.

Quote:
One more thing, what does the unsweetened limeade do?

Cass
Too many carbs cause me to have problems breathing, heart palps and higher blood pressure, so I just stay away from any kind of sweeteners. I drink ice water. That's it. Except, I add a little key lime to it for flavor.

I am basically following the diet instructions from the UCLA Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center, 2002 article about insulin resistance and diet:

[url]http://www.snac.ucla.edu/pages/Resources/Handouts/HODiabetesandInsulinResistance.pdf[/url]

Best of luck with the diet!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-25-2006 at 05:49 AM.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:50 PM   #10
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I have diabetes and i eat high fiber low fat for quit a while now. Cass, you can eat ice cream but it should be sugar free and a small portion. Since i can only eat a small portion, i usually opt for yogurt. Im only allowed 1200 calories and 150 carbs a day, so i have to plan my meals in advance.

The high fiber low fat diet really works for me. Since i started this about two yrs ago, i've lost over 65 lbs. I wish i could say my bp has gone down.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

JTU,
HURAY FOR YOU!
65 lbs is a lot to lose. I know cause 22 years ago I lost 50. It took me 52 weeks. I have since put back on about 1/2 of what I lost. Right now I would like to lose about 15.
When I lost the 50 lbs my BP went from 140/90 to 120/78 (medicated). But I had gone from 172 to 122 lbs. I lost the weight on a low calorie diet + exercise.
I see you walk a lot. I am unable to walk as much as I used to because of arthritis pain and not being allowed to take Celebrex anymore. I still try to do 1to 2 miles a day most days.
You and I seem to be alike in having BP that's very hard to control. With me it's just the systolic. I start out in the am at 130/72 and as the day goes on it goes higher up to 150 to 180.

Cass

Old 01-19-2005, 10:35 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Beerzoids,
Thanks for the link and the meal suggestions. I think like jtu if 1/2 a cup of icecream is all I'm allowed it's best to just skip it (I know me)
I started to take my meals and break them up into smaller meals 6 times a day
and at the same time cutting out all but one sweet treat and replacing the starches with whole grains. We'll see how it goes from there
Thanks again, I'm going to check out that web site now.
Cass

Old 01-19-2005, 10:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu91952
The high fiber low fat diet really works for me. Since i started this about two yrs ago, i've lost over 65 lbs.
65 lbs!? Wow! Great going! Sounds like you are really sticking to your diet. My weight has only gone down about 10%, but I am now within my "normal" range. Did you have to buy new clothes?

Quote:
I wish i could say my bp has gone down.
That is an aggravating part of health solutions. What works for one, doesn't always work for another. I found that out regarding my "upside down sinus flooding" (with peroxide, kosher salt and baking soda) for treating sinus infections. At least half of those who try it get little relief from their sinus infection problems. Fortunately, some people, who have suffered through years of chronic sinus infections, like I used to, have seen significant results from treating their Sinus Infections with Peroxide.

I think that there are two important parts of the "insulin resistant" diet. One part is the eating of small portions of high fiber foods with suitable veggies, and frequently a small portion of meat. The other part is the frequent eating.

I've taken about 16,000+ BP readings over the past seven years, and processed them on my puter. It helped me to learn about how and when my blood pressure meds kick in, and which meds work best for me, and it has helped me to realize the things that cause my blood pressure, pulse or heart rhythm, to get worse. It has really saved my life, by getting my "average" blood pressure down to the current level, but I still have to bring my "average" blood pressure down more.

Recently, while on the "Insulin Resistant" diet, I have been taking my BP at least 10 times a day. I am finding out that my blood pressure lowers after each feeding and stays down. There is something about the frequent, small portion eating that lowers the blood pressure. Is it just a physical reaction? Is it metabolic? I don't know, but I like the results.

Last edited by Machaon; 05-09-2006 at 12:24 PM.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Beerzoids,
Thanks for the link and the meal suggestions. I think like jtu if 1/2 a cup of icecream is all I'm allowed it's best to just skip it (I know me)
I know the feeling. I used to sit down and eat an entire bag of potato chips. It's probably one of the reasons that I became "Insulin Resistant". There is NO WAY that I can just eat a few chips, so I stopped completely. Since then, of course, I've found out that potato chips are among the worst carbs that one can eat.

Quote:
I started to take my meals and break them up into smaller meals 6 times a day and at the same time cutting out all but one sweet treat and replacing the starches with whole grains.
You seem determined. Best of luck. One thing great about the diet is that, it seems like you are eating all of the time. I'm kinda getting to enjoy the frequent feedings.

My puter reminds me when to take my heart meds and when to eat a meal. I also set a timer every three hours to remind me to eat, for when I am away from my puter.

It is almost dizzying!

But..... the results, so far, have been great!

Quote:
We'll see how it goes from there
Thanks again, I'm going to check out that web site now.
Cass
What will you be measuring to see if the diet works for you? What do you hope your will achieve from the diet?

I'm really excited that you have decided to try it! Can't wait to see what type of results you get.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

I just did a Google search on frequent meals guidelines.

Got 259,000 hits.

What is most interesting is that, while going through the list of websites related to frequent meals guidelines, one website said that frequent, small meals helped to fight cancer, another website said that it could help those with asthma, another suggested it for dialysis, another suggest it for those with heart failure, another suggests frequent meals for treating hypertension, while another of course suggested it for diabetes.

Even our government's 2005 food guildelines suggests between 6 and 13 feedings of whole grain per day. How in hell would anyone be able to eat 13 servings of whole grains per day?! You'd probably have to move your microwave into the bathroom and spend the day on the toilet!

Closed Thread