It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 05:24 AM   #1
(male)

Onclou9 HB UserOnclou9 HB User
Dropped Diovan and started Benicar today--should I exercise?

I dropped the 80 mg of Diovan with a 12.5 diuretic as of last night and started Benicar 20 mg with 12.5 diuretic--because my insurance company dropped the Diovan.

I am okay with that because I have been having some continuous muscle pain since being on Diovan. I exercised 5 days a week for almost 7 months and still has significant muscle pain the day of and morning after. Could be the HCTZ kept me dehydrated or it could be the diovan itself.

Anyway, I started on a fairly low dose of Benicar 20mg / 12.5 diuretic and am wondering if I should exercise today. I don't feel anything different at this point but I don't want to stroke out on the elliptical today. I suppose that the Diovan will take a while to get out of my system anyway, so I think I will do okay. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any experiences changing over and exercising.

Thanks,
OC9

Old 01-14-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Dropped Diovan and started Benicar today--should I exercise?

I wouldn't worry about it one bit OC. Hit the elliptical; it will do your BP more good than harm.
I doubt the drugs make your workouts hurt, that's the way with many workouts- THEY HURT.
I found that ibuprofen works well for the muscle aches and pains from the gym.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-14-2005 at 05:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 07:15 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onclou9
I dropped the 80 mg of Diovan with a 12.5 diuretic as of last night and started Benicar 20 mg with 12.5 diuretic--because my insurance company dropped the Diovan.

I am okay with that because I have been having some continuous muscle pain since being on Diovan. I exercised 5 days a week for almost 7 months and still has significant muscle pain the day of and morning after. Could be the HCTZ kept me dehydrated or it could be the diovan itself.
My guess is the HCTZ. Thus, I expect you'll have the same problems. FWIW, I tried Hyzaar 50/12.5 (Cozaar + HCTZ). It did absolutely nothing for my BP. And, my workout performance was reduced to the point that I couldn't even complete my 3+ mile route. I was pretty much dead after just 1 mile. I had been running this regularly for the past 2 years. Benicar 20mg (without HCT) had just the opposite effect. It took time off my run. And, it also controlled my BP very well. For me, HCTZ is very evil.
Quote:
Anyway, I started on a fairly low dose of Benicar 20mg / 12.5 diuretic and am wondering if I should exercise today. I don't feel anything different at this point but I don't want to stroke out on the elliptical today. I suppose that the Diovan will take a while to get out of my system anyway, so I think I will do okay. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any experiences changing over and exercising.
The two meds are in the same class. I really don't think you're going to notice any difference. Benicar is a little more potent. So, it may take a couple points of your BP. Also, you might get a little better 24 hour control.

Pal

Old 01-14-2005, 07:51 AM   #4
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:

Thanks,
OC9
My motto is when in doubt go to the gym. I have been tested on so many different meds due to side effects and hitting walls at the gym with some of the meds. Some that brought my pulse rate down so low I could not get a decent heartrate up for cadio. I have been to the gym faithfully for the last 15 years of my life. I weight train and do cardio 5-6 days a week and the only time I miss is when I have a fever which is rare. I have even been in there with injuries and I work around them. If you have muscle fatigue from the loss of potassium then load up on some potassium drinks they have out there...Good luck, Lisa

Old 01-14-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
(male)

Lisa,

The odd thing is that I figured my Potassium would be low too, especially since I get a LOT of cramps...except for cholesterol levels, I am mid line all the way.

I just finished 50 minutes--17 on the bike and 33 on the elliptical (darned other people hogging my elliptical! ). All was well.....no noticable difference.

I am going to go back in 14 days for a check and I think I am going to ask to get off the HCTZ. All this talk about raising glucose levels and cholesterol has me spooked. I only have to June to get my cholesterol down or else it is a cholesterol drug added to the list.

OC9

Old 01-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Cloud,

You're an ANIMAL in that gym!!! I hate it when people are using MY machines. I think it's a good move dropping any meds you can. The less the better. I'm one of those in where genetics plays a big role. I eat healthy and excercise all the time and still they put me on meds for high BP and cholesterol. But guess what? I'm not going down without a fight. I have experimented and experimented before I said yes to meds. Right now I upped my cardio to 10 miles week and that is HIIT (high intensity interval training) along with 45 minute weight training sessions and I want to see if I can go without meds again so I have not taken any since Monday. So far my BP is normal and I get my bloodwork done 3/1/05 so we shall see if this works. I will be the happiest of campers if I can say buy buy to the drug guy. Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 01-14-2005 at 09:56 AM.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
(male)

Lisa,

YOU MY DEAR, are the animal! my workouts aren't anything as bad as yours are. Actually, I am going to wait a few weeks to give my shoulder some extra time to heal--Rotator cuff repair one month ago--before I go back to doing light weights.

It is kind of funny to see the thin mints in there sort of raise an eyebrow when all 6'3" 285 of me comes wutting in (not quite a walk and not quite a strutt). I do it not out of vanity but just because I am having a good time in life. They aren't smiling when they are leaving after showering and I am still going strong like the energizer bunny!

People don't necessarily understand that you gotta have nice muscles to hold up a frame like mine. I didn't let myself go, I have been doing 24x7 weight training! If I ever do lose all the weight I want to, I will be able to jump 14 feet high!

Good luck working off of those medications. I don't usually have too many side effects from mine to make me hate them like some here do. But for co pay reasons and the aggrivation of running out and then having to deal with a stop gap during mail order filling, I would like to.

New

Last edited by Onclou9; 01-14-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:47 AM   #8
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Lisa,

YOU MY DEAR, are the animal! my workouts aren't anything as bad as yours are. Actually, I am going to wait a few weeks to give my shoulder some extra time to heal--Rotator cuff repair one month ago--before I go back to doing light weights.

It is kind of funny to see the thin mints in there sort of raise an eyebrow when all 6'3" 285 of me comes wutting in (not quite a walk and not quit a strutt). They aren't smiling when they are leaving after showering and I am still going strong like the energizer bunny!

People don't necessarily understand that you gotta have nice muscles to hold up a frame like mine. I didn't let myself go, I have been doing 24x7 weight training! If I ever do lose all the weight I want to, I will be able to jump 14 feet high!

Good luck working off of those medications. I don't usually have too many side effects from mine to make me hate them like some here do. But for co pay reasons and the aggrivation of running out and then having to deal with a stop gap during mail order filling, I would like to.

New
HAHAAAAAAAAAAA Sounds like a football player...keep up the hard work. I'm sure you will have great results. Muscles burn fat even while sleeping. I hate the co-pays also especially when I was placed on so many meds that caused side effects only to stop them and throw most of them in the toilet. I'd rather spend my money on something I could enjoy. ..Lisa

Closed Thread