It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
Norvas and weight gain...

Last week my cardio started me on norvasc 5 mgs along with lasix 20mgs and verapamil 240mgs. I have been on verapamil for over five yrs with little side effects. I've been on lasix for a mnth(i think) and little side effects. I noticed that i've gained at least two to three pounds since starting norvasc. Plus i am having severe back pain.

I usually walk 3.5miles aday(winter included) w/o pain. Since taking norvasc (only in the second week) i have started having very, very bad pain in the lower back. The kind of pain i suffered w/ toprol xl. At this point i have not stopped the norvasc but was just wondering could this be the cause.

I do suffer thyroid problems, but last month my thyroid panel were normal.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #2

dianne12315 HB User
Re: Norvas and weight gain...

I was on Norvasc for a little over 2 yrs. I started out on 5mg but since it did nothing for my high blood pressure the doctor increased it to 10mg and that's when my problems started. I started retaining fluid but at first it was limited to just my legs, ankles and feet but then in the summer of 2004 I was starting to gain weight and then the fluid started building up in my stomach.

The doctor felt it was not related to the Norvasc so therefore I was started on Lasix 20mg but that did nothing for the fluid either so it was increased to 40mg. I was already on Hyzaar 100/25mg which is also a diuretic and it finally got rid of the fluid but I was in the hospital with dehydration and my kidneys weren't functioning properly. To this date I'm still going to have my kidney function tested.

I was finally taken off the Norvasc and the swelling has gone down. I can now see my ankle bones which is something I haven't done since I was on the Norvasc. I'm now on Cozaar, Lopressor and Lasix 20mg.

Your back pain could be from the Lasix. If I take any more than the 20mg I noticed I get pains in my kidney area. I think there are quite a few people who have had trouble while they were on Norvasc. You should ask your doctor if there is something equivalant to the Norvasc that you could take.

Dianne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 12:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

I just posted about this same sort of thing in another thread (see [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242533&page=2[/url]). Diuretics do NOT work for edema caused by CCBs. If you are getting edema from them, they need to be stopped.

Pal

Old 01-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Thank u both. It just seems that i lost four pounds over the holidays and now it seems i gained since starting norvasc. I haven changed my diet or my exercise program. As a matter of fact, lately, i've started walking six miles a day.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Pal,

I am taking four meds, one of which is norvasc. When I first started taking it I experienced edema in the ankles and feet. My doctor increased the hctz and the edema vanished. I have had no trouble since. This seems to work for me.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Bharkins, i also take alot of bp meds but im not getting good bp control. Maybe i need to give the lasix and the norvasc time to work. My cardio gave me another diuretic called (tosamide or something like that). I haven't picked up the script yet so i don't know what it is, but the pharmacist said it was stronger than lasix.

I sure hope i can stick w/ the meds and get better control of my bp. I haven t gotten anymore leg swellings or anything but sometimes it is hard to catch a deep breathe. I have no choice but to stay on the meds until i see my cardio next week. if these meds can give me at least 130/72 with these minor problems, i'll stick w/ it.

Thank u all for the help.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharkins
Pal,

I am taking four meds, one of which is norvasc. When I first started taking it I experienced edema in the ankles and feet. My doctor increased the hctz and the edema vanished. I have had no trouble since. This seems to work for me.
I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve your edema. I'm just basing this on research as I have no personal experience with this. Here's a pubmed abstract:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=12939574&dopt=Abstract

I found some better, in depth articles on the subject, but I'm not sure if they are healthboard acceptable.

As I think about this some more, aren't you also on an ACEI or ARB? Perhaps, this was a player in the equation for you?

Pal

Old 01-19-2005, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Yes Pal, I take metoprolol, lisinopril,norvasc and hctz. When the norvasc was started the edema appeared. It did not go away until the hctz was increased.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #9

dianne12315 HB User

Everyone.

Please be careful if you are swelling from the Norvasc and your doctor puts you on a diuretic to reduce the swelling. Sooner or later the dosage of the diuretic will not work and it will need to be increased all because the swelling is coming from the Norvasc. As long as you are taking Norvasc you will ALWAYS have the swelling.

I learned the hard way. I was on Norvasc for over 2 yrs but it did nothing but make my feet and ankles swell up and then in July I started retaining the fluid in my stomach and gaining weight so I was put on Lasix 20mg. That didn't work so the Lasix was increased to 40mg. In addition to the Lasix I was also on Hyzaar 100mg which has HCTZ in it and I ended up in the hospital with dehydration, low Magnesium and Potassium levels.

That was in September and I still go for kidney function tests every month because everything is still screwed up.

Please be careful using the diuretics to reduce the swelling. My swelling went away within 2 weeks of stopping the Norvasc. If it were me and I was taking Norvasc I would ask the doctor if there was anything else I could take besides Norvasc.

Good luck.

Dianne

Old 01-21-2005, 06:42 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Dianne, Thanks for the warning. As long as the swelling is gone, I am not going to monkey around with other meds. It has taken me a long time to finally get my pressure under control and I am really afraid to start experimenting again. I will be on the lookout for any changes. As long as the combo of meds I am on continues to work, I am not rocking the boat.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:57 AM   #11
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Amen. My swelling has also gone and the only problem now is my possible weight gain. This could be due to decreasing my exercise activities. I have no other symptons from norvasc that i know about.

My bp has started to come down nicely and it feels good just to be back to 140ish. For awhile now i was in the high 200's. I plan to stick with the drugs my cardio gave me and see if i achieve and maintain a decent bp.

I am a little worried about lasix and cholesterol, but i'll be taking the niaspan 500 mgs shortly.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:12 PM   #12

dianne12315 HB User

If your swelling has gone away with taking the diuretics then you are one of the lucky ones. I have talked to many people on the computer and in the dr's offices who are also having a problem with taking Norvasc. It is a good drug for some people because it does lower the BP but then there are others who can't take it all.

I know I was happy once I got off it and for the first time in over 2 yrs I can finally see my ankles again. I didn't want to become one of those people that you see in the stores and dr's offices who have feet that are so swollen your first thought is "That poor thing."

Also watch to see if your cholesterol is rising while being on the diuretic. I never had a problem with high cholesterol until I was put on Hyzaar. Each time I had blood work done my cholesterol was slowly going up. I never had this problem before either. I have been off the Hyzaar since Sept. but it was replaced by Lasix and my cholesterol is still high. I think it has a lot to do with being on a diuretic.

The next time I have to go for blood work though I'm going to stop taking the Lasix for about 2 weeks before I go just to see if it makes a difference. I will let everyone know if it did.

Take care.

Dianne

Last edited by dianne12315; 01-22-2005 at 12:15 PM.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianne12315
If your swelling has gone away with taking the diuretics then you are one of the lucky ones. I have talked to many people on the computer and in the dr's offices who are also having a problem with taking Norvasc. It is a good drug for some people because it does lower the BP but then there are others who can't take it all.

I know I was happy once I got off it and for the first time in over 2 yrs I can finally see my ankles again. I didn't want to become one of those people that you see in the stores and dr's offices who have feet that are so swollen your first thought is "That poor thing."

Also watch to see if your cholesterol is rising while being on the diuretic. I never had a problem with high cholesterol until I was put on Hyzaar. Each time I had blood work done my cholesterol was slowly going up. I never had this problem before either. I have been off the Hyzaar since Sept. but it was replaced by Lasix and my cholesterol is still high. I think it has a lot to do with being on a diuretic.

The next time I have to go for blood work though I'm going to stop taking the Lasix for about 2 weeks before I go just to see if it makes a difference. I will let everyone know if it did.

Take care.

Dianne
Hi Dianne,
I have been on Benicar HCT for 6+ mos now and my cholesterol has gone down a little, from 170 to 167. I was a little nervous after reading some post that related to cholesterol and glucose going up with HCT therapy but so far so good.
How long were you on Hazzar before it went up?
Bye the way, Your name is my middle name and you are the first person I have ever seen who spells it like me.
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 01-22-2005 at 12:44 PM.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #14

dianne12315 HB User

Hi Cass,

I was on Hyzaar for a little over 3 yrs and each time I had blood work done my cholesterol would go up a few points. I think I was on it for about 6 months before any blood work was ordered.

Since my cholesterol level at the time I started the Hyzaar was low (176) the blood work wasn't repeated for a year then it was up to 200. The doctor said that it was still ok but I was to watch what I was eating. Another year passed and I had more blood work done and my cholesterol level was up to 210. That was in June of 2004.

I was admitted to the hospital in Sept. of '04 after the Lasix was added and my cholesterol was up to 229 which was 19 points higher than it was 2 months before. My cholesterol was checked again in November and it was still 229 so Lipitor was added.

I will be going to have more blood work done next month but I'm going to stop the lasix 2 weeks before to see if it makes a difference.

Your mother gave you a nice middle name. I think I am one of the few people who actually likes their name. I like the way my mother spelled it too and it's not very common. She spelled it with the 2 n's because she said "Diane" looked funny and the name Anne is spelled with two n's not one so she put the Di onto the Anne and that's how I got the spelling of my name with 2 n's. I'm glad she spelled it like that although I could never find anything with my name. I wouldn't settle for a necklace or anything if it wasn't spelled like I spelled it. I make sure I correct anyone who spells it wrong too. Sometimes I'm asked if it's spelled that way on my birth certificate. It's like some people don't believe that Dianne can be spelled that way. Once they see it written out though they like it. My middle name is Marie.

Dianne

Last edited by dianne12315; 01-22-2005 at 05:49 PM.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:28 PM   #15
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Dianne, i agree with you about the diuretic and cholesterol. i think drs know this could happen but they fail to tell the patients. I advised my cardio that if my cholesterol or my glucose rise while taking lasix, i plan on stopping the drug immediately.

I am already diabetic and i do not need other diseases from bp meds. She just gave me a script for niaspan. I haven't taken it yet.

Closed Thread