It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 05:22 AM   #1
(female)

Carrie2 HB User
Right & Left Arm Blood Pressures

I have been on Inderal LA 120 mg for many years. Lately I have had a problem with blood pressure being very high (180/112). That was the highest. that was taken in right arm. Everytime I take it in left arm, it is always lower. What does this indicate? This morning before coming to work it was 132/74 & right arm - 130/70 in left arm. Why won't it measure the same in each arm?

Old 01-18-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User
Re: Right & Left Arm Blood Pressures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2
I have been on Inderal LA 120 mg for many years. Lately I have had a problem with blood pressure being very high (180/112). That was the highest. that was taken in right arm. Everytime I take it in left arm, it is always lower. What does this indicate?
If the difference is 10 or less, I wouldn't worry about it. This is normal. Our blood vessels aren't perfect. If the difference is too great, it can indicate a blockage in a vessel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2
This morning before coming to work it was 132/74 & right arm - 130/70 in left arm. Why won't it measure the same in each arm?
However, this difference is insignificant. This is beyond the accuracy of your machine (typically +/- 3).

Pal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 05:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Carrie,

My left arm is ALWAYS conspicuously lower then the right by from 3-8 points. I think I once read that are dominant hand usually shows higher pressure.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

You could take it in the SAME arm every 2 minutes and get a totally different reading, blood pressure is constantly fluctuating.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

My right arm always reads higher than the left, so which reading would be the correct one? The directions that came with my bp monitor said to always measure the left arm.

Whenever the nurses at my doctor's office take a reading, they almost always measure the right arm, I guess because usually the bp machine is mounted on the wall next to my right arm. Shouldn't they be measuring my left arm instead? The nurses also just let my arm hang down loose with no support, another "no-no". It seems that these "professionals" would know better!

Old 02-07-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

In many articles I've been reading lately about home-monitoring of hypertension, the advice seems to be to always take your BP in the same arm, and in the arm "which consistantly gives the higher reading"

Old 02-08-2005, 05:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

NoNo ZuZu,
LowLow is best.

Hee-hee, I can see that a doctor who likes to see his patients often recommends using the HIGH arm.

(Pssst, apropos of nothing, watch THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS if you haven't seen it!)

Old 02-08-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Lenin,

I'd much rather sit around and talk movies with you than blood pressure! Saw The Battle of Algiers when it was released in the 60's..Brilliant film, although "a certain president" who shall remain nameless, would no doubt like it banned [not that he's ever seen it mind you],declaring it a primer on terrorism..

Oh well, back to hypertension...

Old 02-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

As a left handed person, I would guess the instructions for home monitors suggest putting it on your left arm because you can better fiddle with the cuff with your dominant hand - and for most of the population, that is the right hand. You are more likely to get it properly placed if you use your dominant hand to place it on your other arm.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
You are more likely to get it properly placed if you use your dominant hand to place it on your other arm.
Very good point. I have a hard enough time as it is getting the cuff situated properly using my dominant hand. And anyway, I'm with Lenin, a lower reading is best!

Closed Thread