It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

evelyn1 HB User
oral contraceptives or pain meds raise bp more? question for the women.

I have been on various bp meds for borderline hbp for several years. It's hereditary, everyone in my family takes meds starting in mid 30s. In my early 40s I started to have more severe monthly cramps. My gp who follows bp and my gyn do not want me to take oral contraceptives (I'm 46 now), although I have taken them in the past without problems. instead, they've given me naprosyn, bextra (which I refused to take), and now Ponstel. my question is - all these drugs have sodium. I think they raise my bp. The docs say it is safer to take these a few days a month than to take contraceptives the entire month and that the hormones will raise my bp more. Anyone have thoughts on this? I hate taking the pain medications, and of course now more and more of the pain meds seem to cause heart problems.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: oral contraceptives or pain meds raise bp more? question for the women.

evelyn,

The amount of sodium in the NSAIDS is really not very much compared to our dietary intake.
THe contraceptive hormones exert a FAR greater effect on your blood pressure.

A word of warning, though: since the napoxen and the bextra are getting swept up into the Vioxx pile because of cardiac risks, I'd look with a jaundiced eye even on the Ponstel, which, if anything, seems MORE toxic than the others.

Does ibuprofen do much for your monthlies?

Ponstel sounds SO operatic...like a cross between Lily PONS and Rosa PONSELLE!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I got taken off the regular pill when I was diagnosed with hypertension.

Does regular aspirin or ibupropen irritate your stomach? I think they are about as effective as naproxin for my cramps. Incidently drugs in the same class as Vioxx (ie Bextra) can also raise blood pressure.

There is a progesterone only pill called micronor (other brand names too) which you should be able to use, since it does not contain estrogen. Estrogen is the culprit in hpertension. Progeserone only pills should reduce your periods and cramping.

I've never heard of Ponstel. It is a pain reliever?

Last edited by mgraylorn; 01-24-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Evelyn, I agree with Lenin and MGray. I also think that oral contraceptives are harmful. I took them for years and am gald to be free and clean from them for 2 years now. I want to get my hormones naturally...Lisa

Old 01-25-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
(female)

evelyn1 HB User

Lenin,

why do you say Ponstel seems more toxic than the others?

I asked my pharmacist and he said to keep taking for now.

Ponstel is one of the old line NSAIDS isn't it? It works better for me than Naprosyn. Aspirin and ibuprofen don't do much. Ibuprofen and naprosyn give me acid reflux, something I never have otherwise.

The Ponstel really works for me.

I have a scrip for Micronor but never took it because a book I read on hormones indicated there is some disagreement about whether it is only estrogen that causes problems or whether progestins might also cause problems. Progestins have side effects of their own on their own that I'd rather not risk.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

After my gyn took me off The Pill, she told me I could take Micronor since it did not contain estrogen. I haven't heard anything definitive yet on progestin only pills and hypertension, but maybe I am behind the times. I had unpleasant side effects on Micronor and since it didn't stop the constant heavy bleeding I was experiencing I stopped taking it. My gyn said she had several satisfied patients using Micronor. I switched to something else which is progestin only and have not had any problems.

I just looked up Ponstel, and it is in the same class as naproxin. It lists hypertension as a possible side effect. If you have a home monitor, you can easily check to see if it affects your bp. It also says that Ponstel interferes with ACE Inhibitors and thiazides, which is something to consider if you are on either of those blood pressure meds.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
(female)

evelyn1 HB User

mgraylorn

what progestin only pill are you taking?

Old 01-27-2005, 08:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Not a pill. I am on the dastardly Depo Provera. I have had absolutely no problems with it and it stopped my heavy bleeding. I love it.

There are many people who absolutely hate that drug, and you can find lots of websites with people claiming its the drug from hell which caused them all sorts of problems. That's why I didn't mention it by name. If a person doesn't want to risk possible side effects from progesterone only pills, they certainly don't want to try Depo.

Closed Thread