It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
How much of "high coat" is just holding one's breath?

I have caught myself more or less holding my breath when I take my blood pressure a few times. So I decided to take another reading, taking some deep breaths. The second reading with the deep breaths were considerably lower. I could try to breath "normally," but there is no such thing as "normal breathing" when you are thinking about it. At least that's the case for me.

This led me to wonder, how many of you who have "white coat" tend to hold your breath when your pressure is taken at the doctor's office? I just wondered if that might be a factor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: How much of "high coat" is just holding one's breath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
I have caught myself more or less holding my breath when I take my blood pressure a few times. So I decided to take another reading, taking some deep breaths. The second reading with the deep breaths were considerably lower. I could try to breath "normally," but there is no such thing as "normal breathing" when you are thinking about it. At least that's the case for me.

This led me to wonder, how many of you who have "white coat" tend to hold your breath when your pressure is taken at the doctor's office? I just wondered if that might be a factor.
I know I do..I take a deep breath out and relax hoping to get the lowest numbers ever. But lo and behold i get the highest numbers. I hate the docs. I may buy a new BP cuff maybe mine doesn't work all that well. It is the kind that some docs use with the dial. My mom said the mercury one is more accurate..Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: How much of "high coat" is just holding one's breath?

I have done it so much for so long that I find myself holding my breath even when I'm supposed to be resting. Just let someone, anyone, even me, pick up a bp monitor and there I go hollding my breath as if my life depended on it.
I have tried breathing exercises but they only work if I'm focusing just on breathing.
Any ideas how to correct this?

By the way, thanks everyone for the good wishes.
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 01-24-2005 at 01:48 PM.

Closed Thread