It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 07:21 AM   #1
(male)

davebray HB User
Can salt levels drop too low?

From a member's post, I have begun to believe a person can become so low in sodium that he develops frequent urination due to the body's need to maintain a water/salt balance. Is it possible for BP meds to cause a lowering of salt that is unhealthy? Should a person with high BP ever consider adding salt to his diet? Is there a test to determine a person's salt level? If so, are there normal guidelines to compare? Should the lowering of salt intake be the primary concern for a thin man, or can BP be caused solely by genetics? When reading the ingredients on the backs of boxes at the grocery store, what is an acceptable salt amount? Less than 100 mg? I'm wondering if my diligence to maintain a low salt diet has caused my body to become too low? After all, I'm urinating an awful lot these days.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:51 AM   #2

mrmojo HB User
Re: Can salt levels drop too low?

Last sunday I decided that not eating salt or caffiene hadnt lowered my bp any, so i started eating normally again, I have noticed I'm not having to go to the john nearly as often as before

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Can salt levels drop too low?

davebray,

It's VERY hard to lower your serum sodium level too low unless you are in a disease state (diahrrhea or vomiting) or perspiring heavily for a long period of time (think marathon.) Your body resists losing sodium if your food intake is low and it can squeeze excretion to near zero if needs be.

The balance is maintained by dumping water to maintain salinity...less water= greater salinity. Eventually you get dehydrated and THAT is a distinct problem.

As a practical measur, any daily total over 500 mg. is probably ok with a safety margin.

Frequent urination just proves the equation WATER IN = WATER OUT + ACCUMULATION. Over the long haul, accumulation is ZERO so WATER IN = WATER OUT.

Closed Thread