It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User
False BP reading or not?

I had been out exercising last night and I wasnt feeling well. I decided to come inside. Just for the heck of it, I thought I would take my BP. I put the cuff on and I was talking to someone on the computer, not really paying attention to what I was doing. My arm was moving a little bit. The reading came out to be 166/150 I was shocked and left wondering how that happened. I took it again right away and it was 119/60 and never went above that again. Even a few minutes later it was still low. Is it really possible that my BP could have been so high for just a second? I cannot get my monitor to reproduce high readings even if I move my arm around. Should I be worried about this? I probably wouldnt think another thing about it only if I had been paying attention to what the monitor was reading while I was taking it. I have the digital BP monitor where you put the cuff on and it takes the reading for you.

Last edited by FrontierDriver2; 01-25-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: False BP reading or not?

Most likely it was a machine fluke. Though BP fluctuates quite a bit, that's just TOO much of a difference unless you were frightened by a vampire!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-25-2005 at 11:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User
Re: False BP reading or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierDriver2
I had been out exercising last night and I wasnt feeling well. I decided to come inside. Just for the heck of it, I thought I would take my BP. I put the cuff on and I was talking to someone on the computer, not really paying attention to what I was doing. My arm was moving a little bit. The reading came out to be 166/150 I was shocked and left wondering how that happened. I took it again right away and it was 119/60 and never went above that again. Even a few minutes later it was still low. Is it really possible that my BP could have been so high for just a second?
That reading looks like it would be humanly impossible to obtain. A pulse pressure of only 16? I could see a pulse pressure of 16 with a BP of 46/30 on someone who is near death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierDriver2
I cannot get my monitor to reproduce high readings even if I move my arm around. Should I be worried about this? I probably wouldnt think another thing about it only if I had been paying attention to what the monitor was reading while I was taking it. I have the digital BP monitor where you put the cuff on and it takes the reading for you.
The position of the arm alone makes a HUGE difference. Try a little experiment... put your arm above your head. Take your BP. Now, hang your arm over the side of the bed and take it again. I think you'll be amazed at the difference. If you aren't sitting QUIETLY with the cuff at heart level, ignore the reading. In your case, you were talking with your arm moving. So, don't worrry about it.

Pal

Closed Thread