It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
(female)

Emeraldeyes HB User
Clonidine Users

H Everyone:

This is a strange question. I take clonidine .1mg 5 x's a day to try and control my hbp. I have tried many different drugs but this seems to work the best for me. I am very salt sensitive. All I have to do is walk by a salt shaker and my bp goes up.

My question is here lately I have been getting dizzy when it nears the time for me to take my clonidine. After I take it the dizzies get better. I have been taking clonidine for many years with no problem. Has anyone else ever experienced this before? I read some where that clonidine withdrawal interfers with brain function and awhile back I had cut back on my clonidine to only 4 a day but had to go back to the 5. It was at that time I started having this problem.

Any suggestions on this?

Old 01-25-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Clonidine Users

I have taken clonidine on and off for a looooong time but never that much. When I take it it's just .1 or maybe .05 1 or 2 times a day. It has caused dizziness but only after I've taken it. I have cut my dose and even stopped it but never had any problem but rebound hypertension. Could the dizziness be caused from your BP being elevated?
Cass

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 02:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I take .1mg clonidine 3 times a day along with a calcium channel blocker once a day.

Dizzyness is usually associated with low blood pressure. Have you tried taking your bp when you feel dizzy?

For me, on 3 a day dosing, I notice a slight increase in heart rate and a touch of anxiety or adrenline at about 7 hours after the dose. This usually goes away in a bit, but does remind me I am getting close to my next dose. I can take the next dose anywhere from 8 to 10 hours without a problem. On a couple of weekends I have gone down to 2 per day without a problem.

I don't know if dizziness is a withdrawal symptom. You can look the drug up on line.

You might mention it to your doctor or pharmacist and see what they say.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
(female)

strong_one HB User

I get sleepy which in a form is dizziness to me. I forgot to take it last night and i went shopping at IKEA and was feeling dizzy. Could be your BP is elevated.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:31 AM   #5
(female)

Emeraldeyes HB User

Thanks for all your replies. I have checked my bp when I'm feeling dizzy and it is usually ok. I never have a problem with low bp (I wish) it's always been a problem with controlling hbp.

I also wear the vivelle *** hormone patch in a low dose. Don't think that has anything to do with it.

If it is something weird then I'll be the one to have it happen to.

Closed Thread