It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 05:10 AM   #1

*Paul HB User
Talking Views on BP please

Hi all,
My dose of Ace was increased 3 months ago now, but has only recently taken effect. My BP readings average around 140-145/80-85 whilst on these meds. My problem is that recently in the evening about 19:00 i can get readings as low as 119/72. I have never had readings this good before, but every other time during the day it is atleast 140/80. I appreciate HBP is defined as sustained high readings and not the odd high figure. But this shows that i can get normal readings, does this mean that I am doing something wrong. It has proved my body is capable of good reading and that perhaps i am creating these higher readings myself. I know that BP reduces the later in the day, and atleast 80% of my BP reading are in excess of 140/80, but i can now get low readings. I can't figure it out? From bad to good in a matter of hours. Any views would help.

Regards
Paul

Old 01-27-2005, 05:50 AM   #2

mrmojo HB User
Re: Views on BP please

Paul - are you drinking any alcohol in the evening?

I have found that just one whisky in the evening can lower my BP by 10/5 (sometimes way more)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 06:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Paul,
Don't overthink the situation. Occasional readings of 160/90 don't mean hypertension any more than occasional readings of 119/72 mean normal BP; it's only the AVERAGE, RELAXED READINGS over a LONG TIME that are of concern.

If you average 140-145/80-85, take that number as your controlled BP...and it's good enough for control with an ACEI!

Here's a heads-up for ACEI users. THe body makes most of it's Angiotensin 2 using chymase as catalyst. SInce ACEInhibitors block only the ACE catalyzed formation of Ang-2, there are at least 2 additional mechanisms (including the chymase route) that can work around the ACEI. Over time, angiotensin-2 can be produced at the same levels as before the medication was begun, reducing net BP control to nil. This time frame can be as little as 6 months.
ARB's may be the better choice at least in this particular regard because they block the ang-2 directly regardless of HOW it was formed.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:33 AM   #4
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Mojo,

I was drinking a 6 pack a night from 22-32. I am 34 now. I cut out drinking a lot & my B/P has benefited. B/P meds. & alcohol kill my stomach in the morning.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:59 AM   #5
(female)

veree HB User

I have erratic BP. I get 3 different readings in 5 minutes time. I take a diuretic and wondering if it is really helping. I have a BP monitor which I take with me to doctor appts and it is accurate. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Old 01-27-2005, 08:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Might your lower readings at night be due to release of work stress? That could make a difference.

You also don't say when you take your meds. Do you take it in one big dose, or twice or 3 times a day? What time of day do you take it if you take it in one dose?

Do you drink coffee all day at work and then none in the evenings? I found that if I have one mug of tea in the morning, my bp will be 10 points higher in both systolic and diastolic reading until mid afternoon, if I don't consume any more caffeine.

Until you can explain why you have low readings at night, go with your average relaxed readings as your norm.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #7

*Paul HB User

Mgraylon,

You have some interesting points there. I generally take my med in one hit 1/2 hour before my lunch break at 1 o'clock.

I do drink coffee and quite abit during the working day, i never really drink it in the evening. Surely after all this time and tests my elevated BP couldn't be simply down to coffee intake.

I think i will carry out the obvious and go with out tea and coffee for atleast a couple of days.

Thanks
Paul

Closed Thread