It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

Run262 HB User
Unhappy I feel so lost and alone....new here and scared...

I don't know what to do or what to think. I need some advice.

Please.

I'm female, 35 years old, over weight by about 10 lbs, 5'7" 160, I exercise everyday (run 15-20 miles a week), watch what I eat etc... I do have a history of hyperandrogenism, i.e., my menstrual cycles have always been way off and my hormones have always been way off since I can remember resulting in all kinds of nice symptoms, those being excess unwanted hair, lack of ovulation, water retention, difficulty loosing weight that is until I started running 3 years ago, but weight has always been a battle of mine.

So, to combat the effects of the hyperandrogenism which I was told was caused by my ovaries excreting too much androgen (testosterone) I was put on birth control pills. They worked fine. I've been on them for about 7 years with no problems, no blood pressure problems, nothing. I had a baby about two years ago with no problem, went back on the pill after the birth and still no problems.

Here's the meat of the story:

Two months ago, I decided on a whim to stop taking the birth control pills just because I wanted to see what my body would do. I've heard that after having a baby sometimes your cycles will become regular for some reason so I wanted to see what would happen. Here's what happened: the unwanted hair started to come back immediately, the PMS symptoms got worse, my cycles did not regulate and now just within the past two weeks my blood pressure has gone up.

Here are the numbers taken at different times over the past week:

114/96, 120/92, 118/95, 118/86, 121/93. The trend is for my diastolic to be high, systolic is fine. What gives?

I went to the GP (ugh) he ran a complete CBC w/platelet profile, metobolic profile and TSH - ALL came back normal. He did not test the hormones. He said my heart sounded fine and really didn't see what was causing it. I didn't get into the discussion about hormones because he cut me off and said birth control pills CAUSE hbp, stopping them wouldn't cause hbp.

Here are my thoughts...the HBP is directly related to my previous underlying hormonal condition, i.e., the hyperandrogenism sometimes referred to as PCOS and in one week or so when I start that I should experiment and go back on the pill to see what happens. Thoughts?

I don't like the way HBP feels. I can feel the pressure in my neck at times on both sides - it's weird. Sometimes my chest even gets tight. I've called my GP to ask him where do I go from here and he's referring me to a cardiologist whom I can't see for another two weeks. I can't see my ob/gyn either to discuss for another week either.

Between now and then, what do I do? Can I continue to exercise? I have been but I notice it's harder to maintain a good cardio level - I start getting lightheaded. I've noticed no heart palpatations, my resting heart rate is around 55 and I don't get short of breath. It's just that my diastolic rate is up and I can feel it - that's my only problem really, well besides the unwanted hair. I don't retain water and my cholesterol is low and always has been.

I feel like I can't get any answers and those that do have the answers aren't eager to see you. How emmergent is my situation? I'm scared. I don't know what to do or not do until I see a doctor. Should I stop exercising?

I know this is long, and I appreciate you reading this far. Please, offer some advice or knowledge.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: I feel so lost and alone....new here and scared...

I think that your #'s are excellent. Keep working out!!!

Old 01-27-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
(female)

Run262 HB User

But what about the high diastolic? Shouldn't I be concerned? I can feel it that it's high and maybe that's just because I'm so keen aware of my heart rate from running and such, but it scares me.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run262
I'm female, 35 years old, over weight by about 10 lbs, 5'7" 160, I exercise everyday (run 15-20 miles a week), watch what I eat etc...

Here are the numbers taken at different times over the past week:

114/96, 120/92, 118/95, 118/86, 121/93. The trend is for my diastolic to be high, systolic is fine. What gives?
Your assessment is correct. However, these numbers really aren't THAT bad. What is very puzzeling to me, however, is the low pulse pressure (systolic-diastolic) seen in these numbers... 18, 28, 23 and 28 respectively. Normal should be around 40.
Quote:
I don't like the way HBP feels. I can feel the pressure in my neck at times on both sides - it's weird. Sometimes my chest even gets tight. I've called my GP to ask him where do I go from here and he's referring me to a cardiologist whom I can't see for another two weeks. I can't see my ob/gyn either to discuss for another week either.
HBP doesn't have any feeling unless it gets very very high. Your numbers are no where near where you'd be having symptoms. The concern for HBP is long-term risk. What you are feeling is muscle tension. Now, this can cause your BP to elevate. But, not the other way around.
Quote:
Between now and then, what do I do? Can I continue to exercise? I have been but I notice it's harder to maintain a good cardio level - I start getting lightheaded. I've noticed no heart palpatations, my resting heart rate is around 55 and I don't get short of breath. It's just that my diastolic rate is up and I can feel it - that's my only problem really, well besides the unwanted hair. I don't retain water and my cholesterol is low and always has been.
Your resting pulse of 55 is great. And, the fact that you run 15-20 miles per week without shortness of breath also points to a good healthy CV system. But, the pulse pressures represented by your BP reading are inconsistent with that. So much so, that I'd question the accuracy of the readings. Where were these numbers taken?
Quote:
I feel like I can't get any answers and those that do have the answers aren't eager to see you. How emmergent is my situation? I'm scared. I don't know what to do or not do until I see a doctor. Should I stop exercising?
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't exercise. You might be worrying about this a little too much.

Pal

Old 01-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
(female)

Run262 HB User

Pal,

Thank you so much for your thorough reply. All but one of the readings were taken at the local grocery store (I know I know) by one of those you sit at and press the button. A reading of 120/92 was taken at the doctor's office. A reading of 118/82 was taken by another nurse before I gave blood - both were taken in a sitting position. Both were taken by a proper device.

Yes, I'm worried about this a great deal. So much so that I can't concentrate on anything else, especially my work. I've even started to cry I'm so upset.

I agree some of this feeling could be caused by muscle tension and just my natural ability to worry too much. I'm a type a personality and if things go wrong it upsets me. Even if things go wrong with my body. But, I do know that as I sit here and type this it feels as those my carotid arteries are "full" like there's a bit of a pressure. It almost goes into my ears - this full feeling, like I could have an ear infection but don't.

I'm giving it some more time, trying to forget about it for a couple of weeks and then get it re-checked. I also think going back on birth control pills to regulate my hormones in a couple of weeks may help too.

Maybe the pain/tightness I have in my chest along with a dry cough is because I'm sick and not due to an impending heart attack.

Replies are very much appreciated.

Pam.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
So, to combat the effects of the hyperandrogenism which I was told was caused by my ovaries excreting too much androgen (testosterone) I was put on birth control pills. They worked fine. I've been on them for about 7 years with no problems, no blood pressure problems, nothing. I had a baby about two years ago with no problem, went back on the pill after the birth and still no problems.

Here's the meat of the story:

Two months ago, I decided on a whim to stop taking the birth control pills just because I wanted to see what my body would do. I've heard that after having a baby sometimes your cycles will become regular for some reason so I wanted to see what would happen. Here's what happened: the unwanted hair started to come back immediately, the PMS symptoms got worse, my cycles did not regulate and now just within the past two weeks my blood pressure has gone up.
Can you get your doctor to put you back on birth control pills? It sounds like they really helped you.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
(female)

Run262 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
Can you get your doctor to put you back on birth control pills? It sounds like they really helped you.
I've got the next pack ready to go....just need to wait another week or so until it's time.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Based on my experences sounds like some of it may be anxiety. I have also experenced that pressure - full feeling in my head. Do you think you may be worrying too much?
Cass

Old 01-28-2005, 06:53 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Thank you so much for your thorough reply. All but one of the readings were taken at the local grocery store (I know I know) by one of those you sit at and press the button. A reading of 120/92 was taken at the doctor's office. A reading of 118/82 was taken by another nurse before I gave blood - both were taken in a sitting position. Both were taken by a proper device.
Now, these numbers are more believable. Not that there was anything wrong with some of your other readings. But, I just found it hard to believe that anyone who is even remotely athletic could have a pulse pressure below 20. When you become athletic, your heart beats stronger. And, for most of us, this tends to result in larger pulse pressures. However, your CV system seems to be dealing with it in an excellent manner. Keep in mind, lower pulse pressures are generally a good thing.
Quote:
Yes, I'm worried about this a great deal. So much so that I can't concentrate on anything else, especially my work. I've even started to cry I'm so upset.
IMHO, you may have some other things to worry about... but HBP is not one of them.

Pal

Old 01-28-2005, 08:12 AM   #10
(female)

Run262 HB User

Pal,

You're right, I have other things to worry about besides HBP. Come to find out I have walking pneumonia, i.e,. the chest tightness, swollen neck glands which felt like pressure and the reduction in my cardio capacity when I was running earlier this week. I started on a course of antibiotics last night and can already feel an improvement.

I want to wish everyone good luck in controlling their blood pressure. I've learned a lot from reading this board and realize how difficult some people's situations can be especially if you don't have a good caring doctor.

Everyone, take care.

Thank you for you insight.

Pam.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Run,

If you want to take something that might be tailor made for you, you might consider spironolactone (Aldactone I believe is the brand name.) I'ts both a diuretic for BP treatment and an anti-androgenic.
It might suit your needs to a tee.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-28-2005 at 02:24 PM.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:36 PM   #12
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

When your doctor checked your TSH did they check your Free T3 and Free T4? Sometimes your TSH can be normal and the others off. Seeing as your problems are so hormonal I'd maybe check into getting those tested as well.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
(male)

mstudent90 HB User

I don't know why, but I throw in a little panic attack every few days even though I know everything is normal. The thing is I have two kids that I'm raising by myself and I don't want them to find me well,.......you can figure that out....so I think I freak myself out every now and then, even though I do follow my doctor's advice by taking the meds, had a carotid MRI, chest xrays, full blood tests, everything is normal, I just need to relax.....heh maybe we both should!

Closed Thread