It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
(male)

mstudent90 HB User
Anyone else taking Toprol feel this?

My regimen is this:
1 - 100 mg metoprolol in the AM (first thing)
1- 10 mg Norvasc with lunch
1- 100 mg metoprolol with dinner

After I take the metoprolol in the morning, about 30-45 minutes later (during the drive to work, ugh) my extremities go cold (at least to me) and my hands start sweating. It's pretty scary lately, because I drive to differents sites all the time, and lately it's a 45 minute ride. Sometimes it'll feel like I'll pass out, but without the "black" part, like a buzzing in my head..
I feel a lack of energy during the day, even after a full night's sleep. I have sleep apnea also, but I sleep with my CPAP mask every night.
How does even the slightest bit of alcohol affect Toprol users? I've looked for interactions, but nothing's been listed.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
(male)

mstudent90 HB User
Re: Anyone else taking Toprol feel this?

By the way, I've been taking it for about 2 weeks now, formerly was taking brand name Toprol for 1 1/2 months before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Toprol xl was the worst bp med i've ever taken. It caused all kind of side effects that you mentioned, but most of all it caused poor circulation. It almost blinded me.

I think there are alot of threads on this board complaining about toprolxl, which is a beta blocker.

I don't drink alcholic(sp?) beverages so i can't answer that one. I had enough problems with toprol xl w/o alchol.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
(female)

Middleagedcrazy HB User

HI, I have been taking toprol XL since July of last year. I had went to the doctor and my bp was 160/90. The first two weeks on it were horrible. I had no energy, cold hands and feet. Then my hands and feet kept going numb. Through sheer determination, I started back to exercising. At first I couldn't do much. After a couple of months, I got where the exercise was easier. Then I started feeling really bad again the end of Nov. I was getting blood pressure readings consistantly of 90 something over 50 something. I, me, myself all by myself, cut my pills in half. I am now feeling much better taking the 25mg vs the 50 a day. I am also walking 2 to 3 miles a day. My plan is to get off of it all together. Until you get used to it, it slows your heartbeat down so much, that is what causes the crushing fatigue. I hate all medicine. I am now getting consistant readings of 115/68. A few more months and a few more pounds, and I hope to wean off of it all together.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:55 AM   #5
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Evidently, toprol xl works good for your bp, it did not for me. Toprol xl is not known to be compatible with exercise. My pharmacist did tell me that it can cause poor circulation.

I too ate all meds, but i do need bp meds to help coantrol my bp. I have had two heart attacks and am trying real hard not to have a thrid. Good for you for reducing your dosage, i tried that and it still caused me great pain. I even went temp. blind in my right eye. Toprol xl can also mask low blood sugar in diabetics. I am diabetic and at the time did not know that.

It was hard for me to walk my usual 3 miles a day when using toprol xl.Im glad you can still do your daily walks. I am now on norvasc10mgs, verapamil 240, and torsemide10mgs. So far not too many side effects.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

I take metoprolol as one of my HBP meds. 100 mgs. per day. I do experience fatigue and low stamina for exercise. I also have a difficult time losing weight.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #7

dianne12315 HB User

I also take Metoprolol 75mg a day because of PVC's and chest pain. I also get cold hands and feet. I'm also tired all the time and sometimes I feel like I have all I can do to put one foot in front of the other one to walk and when I try to climb the stairs it feels like I'm climbing a mountain. Some days I also feel like I weigh a lot more than I do and I've been trying to lose weight but without success. I have more aches and pains than I've ever had.

I'm going to ask the doctor if there is anything different I can take in place of it. I'm also on Diovan 80mg and Lasix 20mg. I'm not too sure about Diovan either. I started taking it the beginning of this month and I've had 5 migraines already.

Dianne

Old 01-31-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharkins
I take metoprolol as one of my HBP meds. 100 mgs. per day. I do experience fatigue and low stamina for exercise. I also have a difficult time losing weight.

Bharkins, i know i said i would stick with the norvasc, but its gotta go. I suffered all the side effects (edema, shortness of breath, acne, pain in eye and swollen feet) the first week or so. However, i just can't tolerate the severe back pain. I was walking 3 or more miles daily, but now i can't walk 200 ft w/o stopping every five mins.

Also, im going back to lasix bcuz torsemide can raise glucose readings. My cardio lied to me, she said it wouldn't raise glucose just the cholesterol. I deliberately, wouldn't research the meds to see if they work or if i got any side effects. Sure enogh, severe back pain, and upset stomach. Not to mention a 10lb weight gain in just one month.

Old 01-31-2005, 05:21 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

JTU, Sorry to hear about the Norvasc. It does work for me but don't you give up. Keep searching. I thought I would never find the right combo. Good luck to you. P.S. I really don't want to be one of those preaching ex-smokers, but you may help to lower your BP by trying again to stop smoking.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:23 AM   #10
(male)

photo2001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleagedcrazy
HI, I have been taking toprol XL since July of last year. I had went to the doctor and my bp was 160/90. The first two weeks on it were horrible. I had no energy, cold hands and feet. Then my hands and feet kept going numb. Through sheer determination, I started back to exercising. At first I couldn't do much. After a couple of months, I got where the exercise was easier. Then I started feeling really bad again the end of Nov. I was getting blood pressure readings consistantly of 90 something over 50 something. I, me, myself all by myself, cut my pills in half. I am now feeling much better taking the 25mg vs the 50 a day. I am also walking 2 to 3 miles a day. My plan is to get off of it all together. Until you get used to it, it slows your heartbeat down so much, that is what causes the crushing fatigue. I hate all medicine. I am now getting consistant readings of 115/68. A few more months and a few more pounds, and I hope to wean off of it all together.
Hi Middleagedcrazy,
You are describing how I have been feeling lately, and I think it is being caused by the metoprolol also. Numb cold hands, lightheaded feeling, crushing fatigue, depression, everything. I cut my dosage in half this week because I can't live like this. Also my BP has been getting too low, like 99/68.
I'd like to know if you have gotten off of metoprolol and how you are doing now.
photo2001

Old 04-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

that is weird when I was on lopressor years ago I had trouble sleeping and had fatigue after a while I quit it due to side affects. but my bp was not as bad as it is now.

when I started on torprol I was tired and sleepy during the day, but as I adjusted to teh dosage of it I got my energy back but then the doc would up it again due to bp still being way to high and then the fatigue get used to it and get my energy back.

finally reached a hundred mg of torprol and at first sleepy all day then I adjusted and was able to do my exercise and my bp did come down some more. she started me on altace 5 mg with it yesterday and today all I did was sleep all day.

I lack energy today, tho it could be because I spent two days working out and working around and cleaning alot for two days and that could be making me tired and not the altace or beta blocker. and last night I had sinus drainage like crazy and took an antihistamine to dry it up, but usually it is out of my system by late morning and this afternoon I practically napped it away.

so I am adjusting to torprol, and it helps my jaw not hurt as much and it keeps my inner motor quiet too.

but I am amazed at how beta blockers can cause people so many problems (in fact I refused to take any last time I attempted to bring bp down a couple of years ago, then I took avapro, 300 mg with varapilmil, and then lotrel when the varapimil caused swelling real bad and extreme exercise intolerance, so I quit)

I was reluctant to try torprol but I thought I will try it but if it gives me to many problems I will quit, so far it has really helped other areas that I wasn't expecting like easing my jaw pain and easing mild anxiety.

RR

Closed Thread