It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
(female)

strong_one HB User
Question Another question regarding Chlonidine

I have been taking chlonidine for over a week now. Because it causes me to be sleepy, I take my meds as follows: 1 lisinopril in the morning (20mg) then 1/2 chlonidine at lunch and 1/2 in the evening. I think I'm getting a little better with the chlonidine and not so sleepy during the day. Can I take the chlonidine in the AM and the lisinopril around lunch? I want to be able to keep my BP down during the day. Or can I take both at the same time in the am.

Also, someone posted a while back about horror stories about chlonidine. What were they?

Old 01-30-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Another question regarding Chlonidine

I can't imagine what the horror stories could be unless it's the trouble that getting off the drug causes. Just like a beta blocker, clonidine causes rebound hypertension. I have been on and off clonidine since 1979 and it doesn't affect me when I stop. You just gradually cut down the dose over a period of time but if you, like me are only taking .1mg you can just stop with no reaction.

You can take it however you want. Whatever works for you. I don't take it on a regular basis only when I have ststolic over 150. Sometimes I take it with my other BP meds ( BenicarHCT) in the am, sometimes at night and somtimes I split it up 1/2 with my Benicar and 1/2 at about 3 pm.

I think it's a great medication. It does cause sleepiness but you probably will get used to it and that will go away. I hardly notice it anymore unless it's been awhile since I took any. I like knowing that when I take it my BP will go down.

Hope this helps you,
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 01-30-2005 at 02:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 01:45 AM   #3
(female)

strong_one HB User

I'm trying to get that right time of the day to take it. I'm only prescribed .1 mg and I try to take it during the day when I feel mu BP is high. for example work. It is a great med. I'm not sure why but when I take my lisinopril in the morning, it tends to bring my BP up. Then i take the chlonidine at around lunch and it goes down. (Actually I take half and another half in the evening.)

Old 01-31-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I haven't heard of any clonidine horror stories. I love it. I take .1mg three times a day. Sometimes I get a bit hyper just before my next scheduled dose, and sometimes it makes me sleepy, but that's it. I have gotten sensitive to alcohol but that may not be the clonidine. Sometimes on the weekends I've gone down to twice a day, and have noticed a bit of rebound. I also think it is helping with perimenopause symptoms, which is another reason I haven't tried too hard to cut back.

Old 01-31-2005, 04:39 PM   #5
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

B4 my cardio prescribed norvasc last month, she told me she had considered clonidine but would not give it to me bcuz i quit meds too much. She said it was not the kind of drug to stop and start.

Somebody on this board had suggested clonidine to me, but iam worried about side effects. Im coming off th norvasc due to back pain. I can barely walk.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #6

dianne12315 HB User

Hi Everyone,

I was on Clonidine .1mg for over a year. I never had any problems with it and it did bring my BP down. My doctor used it as a last resort though because of some of the side effects. It did cause me to have a dry mouth for awhile and I had a few nightmares while I was on it but they didn't bother me enough to stop the drug.

In addition to the Clonidine I was also on Hyzaar 100/25mg, Norvasc 10mg and Lasix 40mg. The only one I really had a problem with was the Norvasc. It caused my legs, feet and ankles to swell up and I was gaining weight. However I did end up in the hospital last September because I was dehydrated and my bp was too low so all my medications have been changed.

It took almost 2 weeks before the swelling from the Norvasc went away. For the first time in over 2 yrs I was able to see my ankles again.

I would take Clonidine again beforeI ever took Norvasc again.

Dianne

Closed Thread