It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 04:07 PM   #1

mrmojo HB User
BP goes up after morning shower

I have noticed something interesting - if I check my BP right after i wake up in the morning, it is very good (for me) 120 something / 80 something

After i get out of the shower it is usually 150 something / 100 something, then gradually comes down during the day, I was at a trade show this weekend, had 1 beer at 230 pm, had been standing all day, at 430 I went to the hotel room & checked my BP and it was back down to 135/93 or so, it kept coming down all evening before i had anything else to drink, this am I got up and the same thing happened

The only thing I can figure is, i know humidity in the summer bothers my breathing, (I abused my lungs working in a grain mill for 5 years when I was younger), maybe the shower makes my lungs unhappy & that causes my BP to go up

Anyone have any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: BP goes up after morning shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo
I have noticed something interesting - if I check my BP right after i wake up in the morning, it is very good (for me) 120 something / 80 something

After i get out of the shower it is usually 150 something / 100 something, then gradually comes down during the day,
Any mold within the shower area?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 06:52 AM   #3

mrmojo HB User

I'm sure there was probably mold (I know there is in the shower at my shop/office)

I usually work so late I just leave my BP machine on my desk in the office, a few weeks ago I was staying with a relative & had my monitor next to the bed & it was low when I first got up, I didnt think much of it, then this weekend i was in a hotel & had my monitor with me so i took my BP when I woke up & noticed it again, 2 days in a row, every time my BP really shot up after a shower

I would think that my BP when I wake up & my BP "at rest" should be about the same

I also have noticed that on days I dont shower in the morning my BP doesnt go up as much (it goes up some relative to how much work I am doing), but then will jump up when I shower in the evening

Old 02-02-2005, 06:59 AM   #4
(male)

mikey51 HB User

I think it is just a normal response. The body experiences a temporary increase in blood pressure as the circulatory system quickly responds to the increase in body temperature caused by the hot water of the shower.

But there is a good side to it. Then the blood rushes to the skin surface where it increases in temperature, causing the blood vessels to expand and the blood pressure to drop down again.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mrmojo,

Your BP is lowest during sleep and reclining...enough brain gets to the brain and the carotid artery where the pressure sensors are just by gravity and very little cardiac output.
Typically once you stand and begin moving about, gravity tries to deprive the brain of blood. The baroreceptors signal all sysytems to "man the pumps" and the pressure zooms up enough to both wake the brain and to give it a rich blood flow. All points lower down register probably the highest BP of the day (usually, but not for everyone.)

It all sounds quite normal.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-02-2005 at 07:07 AM.

Closed Thread