It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 03:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Update on BP :)

I know some of you have read my backgroud so I'll make it real quick I went to my doctor two weeks ago who put me on BP meds because my BP had consistently been high for over a year. I was not comfortable w/ the med so found a new doc. The new doc did not want to start me on meds just yet as I am 28 & have a few lifestyle changes I could make. I'm terrified of having my BP taken, also. So I have a follow up appointment with her in a month and in the meantime I have quit smoking (today is day 3), started exercising (day 3 again) and monitoring my BP at home (today is day 5). So, I just wanted to share my results!!

My last BP before quitting smoking & starting exercise: 140/92 w/ a heart rate of 87

My BP last night after quitting smoking & starting exercise (and some pretty intense prayers on my mothers part): 125/83 w/ a heart rate of 67!!!! I didn't beleive it. I waited an hour and took it again 118/88 w/ a heart rate of 63. I woke up this morning and it's 116/81 w/ a heart rate of 65!!!

I am having a difficult time stopping smoking, but I am determined to stay quit. I swear it has honestly DESTRESSED my life... I think smoking kept my heart-rate up which added to my anxiety problems.

Anyhow -- I just thought I'd give an update on my situation. I appreciate you ALL for your input on my other posts -- the support here is amazing!

Old 02-03-2005, 04:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Update on BP :)

Well, it's certainly a testament to the power of quitting smoking.
I hope the good numbers continue for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Zekat,

Oh, it it so wonderful to see your good numbers. Keep hanging in there. Things may get more difficult for you in the next week or so because of missing the "butts" and this, in turn, can raise your BP because of the anxiety it may cause. Just don't give up. Think of the good numbers.
When I was going through cold turkey I would say a little prayer whenever I had a craving. Good luck!!!!

Old 02-03-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Congrats on quitting smoking and your good bp readings.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #5

Gatormom HB User

Zekat, YOU MADE MY DAY! I'm so delighted to read your good news. The power of a determined woman, her determined mother, and prayer! Keep on keeping on, take one day at a time, and each new day takes you one day farther away from the cigarettes. Tell people you are an ex-smoker. Sit in the NON smoking section. Think of the money you're saving on cigarettes! Think how fresh your hair smells! Think of those tiny parts inside your lungs and your blood vessels saying "AHHHH......what a relief!" Think of your friend Cuffy helping you out, no longer something to fear, but an ally in your war. I'm proud! You're around the age of my daughters and I am so interested in seeing you succeed. God bless! ! ! !

Old 02-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Yay Zekat! Such an improvement after only 3 days! That should give you lots of positive reinforcement! Good job, great news, keep it up! We are all pulling for you!

Old 02-04-2005, 06:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Thank you all so much for your replies. I am still going strong on day 4 & my BP readings are still looking good. It was 122/80 this morning. I have noticed that my heart rate is getting lower and lower (it was in the upper 50's last night & this morning). I know it may sound crazy, but this is kind of good news because I feel like my thyroid has been undertreated. Maybe a lower heart rate will get my doctors attention and she will give me additional thyroid hormone. Anyhow - that is kind of beside the point. But, I do feel like smoking has probably masked this fact for quiet some time

Gatormom - thank you for your post. You are right about my very determined mother and her prayers. When I noticed my HR getting lower I called her up and told her she could quit praying now I feel pretty lucky - my whole family has quit smoking & I am by and far the most stubborn of them all, so I believe my 1st attempt at quitting will be my last attempt!!

Old 02-04-2005, 06:31 AM   #8

Gatormom HB User

It's Friday - - make this a terrific Smoke Free Weekend! Go girl!!

Old 02-04-2005, 05:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Woohoo! Congratulations on your new lifestyle! Starting the exercise program at the same time you quit smoking might just make quitting a wee bit easier. I know when my late husband tried to quit, he just had to be doing, doing, doing something all the time or he almost went bananas. Exercise can help provide that "something." And both quitting and the exercise program are, no doubt, contributing to your success with lowering your BP. Hey, plan to treat yourself with something special with all the money you'll save on cigarettes!

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 02-05-2005 at 07:15 PM.

Old 02-05-2005, 06:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Thank you Uff-da!! I have started feeling like I need to be doing something, just like you said, but the thing I was not expecting is to just feel calmer. Isn't that strange? I guess it's because I no longer have the stimulating effect of the nicotine. I like your suggestion about quilting on the other post. It's almost a dying artform. Both of my grandmothers quilted - maybe I need to give it a go! All I know is that I seem to have more time in my day now because I'm not taking smoke breaks (I did not smoke in my house and still managed to smoke 25 a day) and I'm not planning on when I can take my next smoke break.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

If you do decide to take up quilting, there is a tremendous amount of "how to" information on the web, as well as free patterns. Or you could join a local quilt guild, which would provide a bit of socialization, as well, if that turns you on. At any rate, quilting or anything that helps keep your hands and mind busy can help ease the transition to a smoke-free lifestyle.

Closed Thread