It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #1

mrmojo HB User
coffee reactions

I had started drinking coffee again because i tried it a couple weeks ago & my BP didnt go up, but twice in the last week my BP has shot up high when I have had coffee, then if I dont drink any by the next evening it is starting to go back down

The only thing I can figure is some of these cheap hotels are selling decaf as regular, but I'm not sure

Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 02-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
(male)

popeye77 HB User
Re: coffee reactions

Caffinated coffee has verying effects on my BP. I only drink it at home always same brand. Sometimes it raises BP to crazy hieghts, sometimes really no effect. As far as Decaff, the chemical processes used to remove the caffeine are (IMO) worse for you than standard coffee. I only drink it after work, because my long automobile commute makes me crazy enough without caffeine high. I read up on lactose intolerance and it turns out some people (like me) may not have stomache problems, but can experience headaches that appear as symtems of high BP, like migraine. So I try to avoid cheese, milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt. I know .......who cares.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2005, 04:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Hello, my name is Lenin,
And I am a COFFEEHOLIC!

Perhaps as a result of oceans of coffee over the decades, I usually see a drop im my BP after my first morning cup. It might be because my body is suffering slight withdrawal symptoms overnight that raises BP without the addicting stuff, or else that the warmth of the hot coffee in my innards warms my core body temperature and causes dilation of the arterioles in the skin and thus a lower BP.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do drink tea. I noticed that after a mug of strong tea in the morning, both my systolic and diastolic will be elevated about 10 points. If I have no more caffiene during the day, systolic and diastolic both gradually drop back to normal by mid to late afternoon. This doesn't happen with decalf tea, and I don't know if this bp increase extends to weak tea or diet coke.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

Same here, caffeine makes my bp go up about 10 points. Nicotine will make mine go up about 15 points! I just avoid both like the plague now. Too much caffeine or even a little nicotine make me feel physically sick!

Old 02-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #6

mrmojo HB User

When I'm on a long drive I need caffiene to keep going - i guess i will just have to use a little at a time

Closed Thread