It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
(male)

davebray HB User
switching meds to find the right one, is it safe?

Does anyone know the risks of frequently switching BP meds? Over the past 6 months, I've tried hydrochlorthiazide (didn't work), Norvasc (dizziness), Cozaar, Cardura, Avapro (all three, urinary frequency), and now I'm willing to try Diovan.

I've been told by one person that Diovan has the least side effects of all the BP drugs, so I want to make the switch; but, I'm wondering if all this switching is good. I am hoping Diovan will prove to be the one that I can stay on without side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
Re: switching meds to find the right one, is it safe?

I feel your pain. I've tried at least five different bp meds (or more) in the last few months. I too am searching for the right bp med. Last month, i was on norvasc but it caused back pain, was on lasix as well, but cardio changed it to torsemide.

Now im on clonidine and so far no problems. Ive only been on clonidine for about a wk and my bp is finally down to acceptable levels. i've not suffered any side effects yet other than sleepiness, but it usually takes a month b4 side effects flare up.

My gp & cardio says this is safe to continue to switch meds, but im not sure. Maybe someone else with more expertise will be able to help us both. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 03:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Davebray,

It's generally perfectly safe to switch. If you've been on a beta blocker for some time though, you should be weaned off this first OR some people start weaning the BB while slowly introducing a low dose of new drug.
If you are coming off of Avapro, you can dive right into Diovan without a problem. (Both are ARBs).

Hope you do well on the Diovan. It's the one that finally worked for me (160mg- non HCTZ) for both BP control and with zero side effects.

zuzu

Old 02-11-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I went through several different meds in just a few months before I found something that worked. The only thing about frequent switching is that some meds take a couple weeks to a month to kick in, so if you switch after only a week or so, you may not have given it enough time to work. I believe the beta blockers are the only class that you can't just quit cold turkey - you have to wean off them. You should also wean off clonidine if you decide to discontinue it, but it is in its own class.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:57 AM   #5
(male)

sunbird_owner HB User

Just about everyone has had a few medications as well as a few doctor swiches. If Diovan gives you problems, you may want to try Benicar. They are both in the same class of drugs (ARB). I have no side effects from Benicar.

Jay

Last edited by sunbird_owner; 02-11-2005 at 10:58 AM.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Honestly,
I'd never consider urinary frequency much of a reason to switch off a drug. Especially when compared to some of the truly AWFUL side effects that some of them cause.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I guess that would depend on how frequent "frequent" was. If you couldn't do anything during the day or night except run to the bathroom, that's too frequent.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I wish that was the only side effect i ever suffered. Toprol xl almost blinded me in my right eye, hctz caused me high glucose readings and a cholesterol problem., aces put me in the ER and so did arbs.

Relieving water every now and then is a cake walk, even if it interrupt my sleep.

Closed Thread