It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 05:58 AM   #1

lunachick03 HB User
new here...can use some advice:)

My last blood pressure reading at the doctor's office was 124/82 and she gave me a lecture about high blood pressure. I've been under a lot of stress lately and this has only added to it. Now I freak out everytime anyone comes near me to take my BP. I really didn't think my BP reading was all that bad. Although I will say that my readings in the past have been on the low side...90/70-75. I know it's not my weight...I'm 5'6 110 lbs. I had my cholesterol checked and my numbers were: HDL- 55, LDL-80, Triglycerides-59, and my glucose is 84. Total cholesterol was 150. Would these numbers indicate if there was a major problem?? This is all new to me so if you can give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys

Old 02-11-2005, 06:30 AM   #2

mrmojo HB User
Re: new here...can use some advice:)

Looks great to me - i wouldnt worry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Your "high" reading in the doctor's office is on the lower end of the range called "pre-hypertension" which runs from 120/80 to 139/89. In fact, it is barely in that pre-hypertension category! Until a couple years ago this was considered being in the "normal" category and doctors only worried about 140/90 and above. If you have been under a lot of stress that will push up your blood pressure, above your normal readings. Your doctor was making a mountain out of a molehill and scaring you unnecessarily, imho.

Don't worry about your blood pressure based on that one reading when you were really stressed. DO try to find a way to get rid of some of the stress in your life. If you can, maybe try to get a bit of exercise, go for walks, etc. Exercise is a good way to reduce stress.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

I would not worry about those numbers.

Old 02-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I would love to have those numbers. If you feel fine and no illness then your bp is fine. I bet your dr's bp isn't that good. Not all of us will reach the govt's standard on bp or cholesterol.

My husband's great aunt is 88 yrs old, vegeterian, and she has hbp. She is soooo under weight. But by the govt's standard's she should not have hbp.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Quote:
My last blood pressure reading at the doctor's office was 124/82
That's a perfectly good reading especially in a doctor's office! You do NOT have hypertension.

Quote:
I had my cholesterol checked and my numbers were: HDL- 55, LDL-80, Triglycerides-59, and my glucose is 84. Total cholesterol was 150. Would these numbers indicate if there was a major problem??
Your lipid panel is also great.

Quote:
Would these numbers indicate if there was a major problem??
You're gonna outlive your doctor.

zuzu xx

Old 02-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #7

lunachick03 HB User

Thank you all SO much for responding to my post My doctor managed to scare me half to death and I've been worrying ever since. She made it a point to have my cholesterol checked and I had to call her office 3 times befor anyone would give me the results. I tried to make an appointment with my doctor again so she could go over the blood work and the only time they had available is in March!! So, I really do appreciate the fact that you all took the time to respond because I don't know what any of my numbers mean. You would think that since this idiot( my doctor) scared the cr*p out of me, she would at least give me 10 minutes of her time to go over the results and ease my mind. LOL....I can only imagine what my BP has been all this week...don't even want to know! I think it may be time to find a new doc.

Closed Thread