It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
(male)

rival HB User
HBP and fatigue

Hi,

First time posting to these forums. The last few times seeing my doctor he has noted my blood pressure being a little high. Not until the last time did I really take it seriously. I thought I was always a little nervous so it was no big deal. I'm a 31 year old male in not bad shape although I will be exerciseing more now. He's not sure if I really have HBP or it just rises when I go see him. Hs's going to get me on a 24 monitor in a few weeks to see what it says but since then I must say I've been a little worried about it. He has not said anything about meds yet. Everytime I go get my BP tested at a drug store I'm in the range of 135/145 - 78/85. I have noticed I have a little anxiety now about the whole thing so I don't know how accurate a reading I get. As well ever since I started worrying about it I have felt really fatigued and really lousy. By 6 or 7 at night I'm done and I never felt this way. So right now we are trying to figure out if I really have HBP but I wonder if the anxiety might be the reason I have felt so crummy since the doctor brought this to my attention. Did anyone else feel like this when they first found out that they may have high blood pressure? Thanks for your time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: HBP and fatigue

You are lucky to have a doctor who wants to investigate a bit before prescribing drugs! Lots of people have what is called "White Coat" syndrome, where their blood pressure is elevated in the doctor's office but lower at home. Drug store machines are a crap shoot, you don't know when they have last been calibrated. And you are probably a bit nervous there with other people milling about, so again you don't get a true relaxed reading.

I think your anxiety is making you tired. It can interfere with getting a good night's sleep. And this is cold and flu season, so maybe you are fighting off a virus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I agree that you have a pretty cool doctor since he's wanting to investigate instead of just flipping a script your way. Honestly, if you do in fact have HBP, the nubmers you have given are not terribly high. I think if you consistently run 140/90 doctors like to start you on meds. I know your doctor is going to do the 24 hour monitor, but why don't you go buy a blood pressure cuff @ Wal-Mart & start monitoring yourself at home & keeping up with your numbers.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #4

mrmojo HB User

I have been dragging for at least 6 weeks now (plus not getting enough sleep)

Its that time of year to feel a little down & tired, but I think it does raise BP a little

Old 02-11-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
(female)

Michelle0925 HB User

Hi Rival!

I can totally relate. I got dx with high bp the first week of December 2004 and it COMPLETELY ruined my holidays. I was so freaked out by it, I think I was raising my bp even more. Course my doctor was kind of a jerk about it and said some really stupid things to me (when I told her to give me a couple months to try to get in under control without meds she said "ok fine. but you could drop dead in that couple of months). What REALLY bothered me was my bp wasn't ALL that high (I had numbers like yours). But I didn't know it at the time. She made it sound like it was catastrophic... and I wasn't educated enough (at the time) to know it really wasn't.

Here's my advice. Do a LOT of reading (High Blood Pressure for Dummys is a good place to start). The more you learn, the less anxiety it will cause you. At least that helped me a lot. Reading this board has helped me a lot too (even though I really never post). High bp is treatable. In some cases reversible without meds (diet, exercise, quitting smoking, don't drink a lot), but above all, RELAX.

I was in a state of almost panic for a month after my doctor dx'd me. It ruined Christmas for me... everything. I wish I could go back and have a "do-over". I freaked myself out for no reason.... and kept my bp higher than it would have otherwise been as a result. And yes, I was exhausted. And it was all from the anxiety.

I hope that helps make you feel better.

michelle

Last edited by Michelle0925; 02-11-2005 at 12:41 PM.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
(male)

rival HB User

Thanks alot for all the advise, I so appreciate it. Its one of those things that really turns you for a loop because you never would of thought you had this problem and then it gets dropped on you. I think Michelle hit it when she said Relax...that is the one thing I need to get through my head. Will pick up the book and maybe a monitor too but ya its a lot to handle when you first find out and your only 31 and been active all your life.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
(male)

rival HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekat
I agree that you have a pretty cool doctor since he's wanting to investigate instead of just flipping a script your way. Honestly, if you do in fact have HBP, the nubmers you have given are not terribly high. I think if you consistently run 140/90 doctors like to start you on meds. I know your doctor is going to do the 24 hour monitor, but why don't you go buy a blood pressure cuff @ Wal-Mart & start monitoring yourself at home & keeping up with your numbers.
How much do these blood pressure cuffs cost?

Old 02-11-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
(male)

rival HB User

So how did it eventually turn out for you? Did you end up going on meds or did you get it under control yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle0925
Hi Rival!

I can totally relate. I got dx with high bp the first week of December 2004 and it COMPLETELY ruined my holidays. I was so freaked out by it, I think I was raising my bp even more. Course my doctor was kind of a jerk about it and said some really stupid things to me (when I told her to give me a couple months to try to get in under control without meds she said "ok fine. but you could drop dead in that couple of months). What REALLY bothered me was my bp wasn't ALL that high (I had numbers like yours). But I didn't know it at the time. She made it sound like it was catastrophic... and I wasn't educated enough (at the time) to know it really wasn't.

Here's my advice. Do a LOT of reading (High Blood Pressure for Dummys is a good place to start). The more you learn, the less anxiety it will cause you. At least that helped me a lot. Reading this board has helped me a lot too (even though I really never post). High bp is treatable. In some cases reversible without meds (diet, exercise, quitting smoking, don't drink a lot), but above all, RELAX.

I was in a state of almost panic for a month after my doctor dx'd me. It ruined Christmas for me... everything. I wish I could go back and have a "do-over". I freaked myself out for no reason.... and kept my bp higher than it would have otherwise been as a result. And yes, I was exhausted. And it was all from the anxiety.

I hope that helps make you feel better.

michelle

Old 02-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
(female)

Michelle0925 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rival
So how did it eventually turn out for you? Did you end up going on meds or did you get it under control yourself?
Well, I have until the beginning of march (for my next Doc apptment), BUT it has gotten better once I stopped freaking myself out. I also have dropped all added sodium out of my diet and am careful how much I consume now. I use 50% decaf when I make my coffee now. I've cut WAY back on my drinking and also told my boss I'm not putting in 60 hour weeks any more. I've started taking CoQ10 and magnesium supplements and I'm running/jogging 2 miles several days a week... all these things have made a difference. I've dropped about 10 points off my dystolic and systolic... which puts me still highish/borderline, but at least not over the top.

Next Tuesday I go into the accupuncturist to quit smoking. That's going to be I think the biggest thing I can do to really positively impact my bp... so I'm excited to see how that works out.

You can get a good home BP monitor for about $100. My doc recommended the Omron (sp?) brand. I tried to save money and got the one you have to manually inflate. It sucks (from a convenience point of view - its a great monitor otherwise). Spend the extra for the auto-inflating.

I'm making good progress so far without meds.... I think I can hopefully avoid them once I kick the smokes next week. But keep in mind I changed ALOT of things about my lifestyle. That was my choice though. Some people think its the harder route, but its the one that sounded best for me.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing! Try not to look at it as such a scary thing (like I did at first!). Instead maybe it is a way to "fine tune" areas of your life to get those numbers where they need to be.

Cheers!
michelle

Old 02-11-2005, 09:51 PM   #10
(male)

rival HB User

Thanks for the update Michelle. I did go and buy a monitor this afternoon at Walmart and it was $100.00 (Canadian dollars) and it was the brand Omron. The pharmacist was really helpfull and recomended this brand.

Its good in that I think its eased things a bit. I have taken a few readings since I got it and I can calm and relax not like in the drug stores or doc offices. Seeing a couple good readings can go a long way to making the anxiety go away. Got a doc appt this week so I will see what he says. Didn't have all the worry/anxiety the last time I saw him so will see what he thinks. Will keep you updated. Thanks again for the tips from those who posted. Feel much better now then I did earlier this morning.

Old 02-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

yes, seeing those good reading help a lot. Just be sure and log all of your results & take them (and your blood pressure cuff) to your doctor at your next visit. That way your doctor can see how close your blood pressure cuff is to the one in his office (some doctors will do this, some doctors will not -- it can't hurt to try though - especially if you continue to have good readings at home). Good luck and please keep us posted!

Closed Thread