It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

momof2A's HB User
Question New here...Have questions about my hbp

Hey everyone,

I've been looking over this site and had a few questions I thought you could help me with. I'll try to keep this short, but it'll probably be longer than I intend.

I am 27 years old. I had preeclampsia during both of my pregnancies. Bp went down after first child, but not the second. I tried Procardia, Atenalol, and Norvasc. None of these lowered my bp at all. Non-medicated, my bp runs 180/110. Right now I'm on Clonodine .2 mg/2x/day. I've been on it for four months now. I absolutely can not take it in the mornings. I will fall asleep where ever I'm at. So I do take it every night. It knocks me out and gives me terrrible dry mouth. These side effects have not lessened since I started taking it. The problem is, the last 3 days, for the first time in four months, my bp has gone back up. Last night it was 166/106. I'm worried that this medicine isn't helping anymore. I've also had a pounding headache that won't go away, and extreme anxiety for no reason. Is this effects of the hbp? Any advice? I go to the gp next week.

Last time at the gp, he also checked my thyroid. My TSH level was .40 with normal range being .49-6.4. He will test again next week and then decide if medicine is needed. Could this be causing my hbp?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Oh yeah, in the last year I've lost 85 pounds(with no help on my part), bringin my weight to 148. High blood pressure runs in the family.

Last edited by momof2A's; 02-11-2005 at 12:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
(female)

Michelle0925 HB User
Re: New here...Have questions about my hbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2A's
Hey everyone,

I've been looking over this site and had a few questions I thought you could help me with. I'll try to keep this short, but it'll probably be longer than I intend.

I am 27 years old. I had preeclampsia during both of my pregnancies. Bp went down after first child, but not the second. I tried Procardia, Atenalol, and Norvasc. None of these lowered my bp at all. Non-medicated, my bp runs 180/110. Right now I'm on Clonodine .2 mg/2x/day. I've been on it for four months now. I absolutely can not take it in the mornings. I will fall asleep where ever I'm at. So I do take it every night. It knocks me out and gives me terrrible dry mouth. These side effects have not lessened since I started taking it. The problem is, the last 3 days, for the first time in four months, my bp has gone back up. Last night it was 166/106. I'm worried that this medicine isn't helping anymore. I've also had a pounding headache that won't go away, and extreme anxiety for no reason. Is this effects of the hbp? Any advice? I go to the gp next week.

Last time at the gp, he also checked my thyroid. My TSH level was .40 with normal range being .49-6.4. He will test again next week and then decide if medicine is needed. Could this be causing my hbp?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Oh yeah, in the last year I've lost 85 pounds(with no help on my part), bringin my weight to 148. High blood pressure runs in the family.
I would call my gp and ask what his opinion is. The headache could be from the bp, but could also be from the anxiety (its all such a vicious circle). But if your bp goes any higher I would call the doc absolutely.

good luck,
michelle

Old 02-11-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: New here...Have questions about my hbp

When reading your post, I skipped over the part about your TSH & when I saw that you'd lost that much weight without trying, I thought Thyroid! .4 is a low TSH for someone who is unmedicated. A low TSH is indicitive of a hyperactive thyroid & a hyperactive thyroid can cause high BP & a high pulse rate (and unexplained weight loss). Pregnancy can sometimes trigger thyroid problems. My suggestion would be to have your doctor test your Free T4 & Free T3. They are the actual thyroid hormones in the blood. TSH is only a pituitary response to how the T3 & T4 or acting... think of TSH as a termostat. A thermostat either heats up or down depending on the temperature of the house. TSH goes up when T3 & T4 are low. TSH goes down when T3 & T4 are high. You need to know if your T3 & T4 are high in order to find out if you are in fact hyperthyroid. I would also suggest that you be tested for thyroid antibodies also. I'm surprised your doctor did not do more testing with a TSH of .4 and your high blood pressure and weight loss. Seems crazy to me. Even though .4 is "normal", it's at the VERY low end of every TSH range known to man. The bottom line though is that TSH doesn't tell you squat. T3 & T4 are the tests you need. (I'm sorry but I'm kind of getting angry at your doctor while writing this). Please demand these additional tests.

Oh yeah - hyperthyroidism is often misdiagnosed as anxiety & panic. So your anxiety/headaches/stress could very easily be thyroid related. I used to have a hyperactive thyroid and some additional symptoms I suffered from were: extreme thirst, increased perspiration and fitful sleep (I actually kicked in my sleep). I never would have known I was hyperactive except my eyes started to buldge (it's called Thyroid Eye Disease & not everyone gets it). The symptoms creep on so slowly you don't even realize that something is wrong.

Last edited by zekat; 02-11-2005 at 04:14 PM.

Closed Thread